Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Northampton (a) (AW)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Berian Watkins Llandovery tight head on bench,a Llanelli boy .
Bench for who? Us? Has Sebastian pulled out?
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Have the competitors ever stated it's implicitly a development competition, apart from in marketing?
Just because we view it as a development competition doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Yes - even fairly explicitly:

“The competition has played a huge role in the development of young talent in both England and Wales.

“England’s recent success in the Under-20s World Cup shows there is a depth of talent in English rugby like never before and I can’t wait to see the current crop get their chance in first team rugby via the Anglo-Welsh Cup.”

In recent times the competition has also developed into the breeding ground for some of the best British talent in the game – and a precursor of things to come in Aviva Premiership Rugby.

However, what they HAVEN'T done is put any proper rules in place to ensure that it is in fact (as well as in theory) a development tournament.

I see some other posts suggesting a quota on older or more experienced players... but fail to note that I made exactly that suggestion earlier on:

"Now, if the organisers and sponsors are serious, especially about the passages in bold, may I suggest that they oblige teams to include development players by introducing a quota system for match day squads? Say, a maximum of 6 players with more than 25 first team appearances in the Aviva/pro 12/overseas equivalents, or set an age limit - no more than 6 or 7 players who are 23 or over?

Otherwise, it makes no sense."

They can expect a letter from my lawyer for this act of plagiarism in the near future!

(In the same vein, may I thank PE SA for first pointing this out in the thread, with this comment:
"Its Welsh sides that have kept the value of the tournament and keeping the respect of what the tournament is. The slogan of the tournament is "Heroes of Tomorrow". The website of the tournament is new-heroes.com. ")

Now, back to that research dissertation...!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 5:43pm
As a student in northampton i'm going to the game tonight, I sincerely hope we put up a fight and get some tries. Northampton will be going for it, not much hope of a rested squad from them.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 5:50pm
Good old Weatern Fail seemed to forget us off their LV= round up http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/anglo-welsh-cup-preview-ospreys-12554260
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 6:24pm
 Gardiner out and Sebastian starting .
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Agree with Will on this.

Can't see anything other than a hiding for us in this game. That Northampton side is seriously strong.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong - Scarlets and Northampton obviously have different outlooks on the competition. Fact is a hiding will not do our fringe players any good at all.

At the same time, Quinn, Drovers and Llanelli will be without key players for this weekends fixtures.

Lose, lose situation all round IMO.

A little bit confused Haydn,you did not want to risk players in case of injury against Sale,in a dead rubber European game,but prepared to risk players in a development tournament a week before a massive league game against Glasgow .

A few players do need game time without a doubt,as far as I cannot see any players  involved tonight,will be in next weeks 23.Sensible decision with regards selection,I feel .

A great chance for these young lads tonight,to go out and put there hands up for future selection and Scarlets contracts,enjoy boys ! best of luck !! and wear the Scarlets shirt with pride ...

Or Northampton contracts.  I hate it when we pick players who aren't contracted in games like this; just asking for them to be poached.  One reason I'm not keen on the competition [the daft format doesn't help, either].
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 6:47pm
Berian Watkins on bench? Jeez I've heard it all now! 😳
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 7:59pm
nobody know how will end, but at the moment Im enjoying so so so much
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic