Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro12 Run-in 2016/17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 26>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:38pm
Agree Thommo
Sponsored Links

Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I feel the Ospreys will do their utmost regardless of their position to deny us a top 4. 

Paranoia? I'm not sure the players would feel this way. Let's hope their open minded fans, like our open minded fans would like to see two Welsh regions go through. What happens after that point is different but I'm sure they'd rather play us than Leinster or Munster at that stage given their record. We need a Welsh team to achieve something this year.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:28pm
Pride in the only Welsh region in the top 4 not paranoia

Edited by Dai38 - 07 March 2017 at 8:31pm
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Pride in the only Welsh region in the top 4 not paranoia

Well, if they could claim that they got us into the top four by beating our key rivals, they'd have even more to be proud of [and that's not something I'd relish].  And I'm sure that they'd love to play us at the Liberty in a semi final, too, for a variety of reasons. 

I have no doubt that they would be confident of beating us there and getting us into the top four and then putting us out of the playoffs would surely be nicer for them than us failing to qualify because they threw a game.  Turn it around, if you don't believe me.   Would you rather the O's come 5th [next year, say], or come 4th with our help, get them at home for the semi and then put them out?  Where we are currently, I'd be more worried about losing the semi, but I can't see them thinking that, players or fans.

knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Just to summarise the table from the first page. If you take it as a given that Ulster will get 5 points against Zebre, then the table can be adjusted to show:

4th place Ulster on 57 points
5th place Scarlets on 53 points.

So we have to win all our remaining games and get at least one bonus point to reach what is probably our most optimistic total of 74.

That leaves Ulster chasing 17 points in their remaining five games.  They could easily get 10 from Dragons and Blues, leaving them chasing 7 points from Munster (a), Ospreys (a) and Leinster (h).

So this isn't in our hands at all. However, Ulster are potentially still chasing a top 2 spot, which is good news for us as their final games will be against teams that will be hell bent on beating them.

I'm predicting that we will be watching our game against Ospreys at the end of the season whilst listening to radio Ulster for the score in their game.  

We will be 4 points behind going into the final 5 games.

I don't think Ulster will get anything from Leinster, Munster or the Ospreys, especially with the last two away from home, and Munster pushing for a top two finishing spot.

I feel we can win at least four of our five, and with Treviso, Dragons, we should be targeting bonus points.
In essence, if we win four from the five and get a couple of win bonus points, and then Ulster only win two, even with bonus points, that should be enough.
We may not need to beat the Ospreys in the last game.
Page the oracle
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:21pm
We have to be wary of Glasgow, if we lose another one and they win the remainder of their games then they will be back in with a shout as they are only 7 points behind
daveoda View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2017 at 9:10pm
Ulster got their 5 point win over Zebre as expected by 68-21 and move up to 4th with 57 points.
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 6:57pm
Ulster beat Zebre 68-21

Oops just seen above

Edited by Wil Chips - 12 March 2017 at 6:58pm
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 8:02pm
When we play Edinburgh in our next game Ulster are at Rodney Parade. They're kicking off 30 mins later than us.

Given the Dragons recent form, Ulster should have no problems winning that one.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 7:33am
Hopefully the WRU and Dragons news will give the Dragons players a big lift tonight. They can be difficult to beat at home on their day so fingers crossed for a big upset in Newport tonight
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Hopefully the WRU and Dragons news will give the Dragons players a big lift tonight. They can be difficult to beat at home on their day so fingers crossed for a big upset in Newport tonight

Given that from our last 3 visits to Rodney Parade we have achieved 2 bonus points - both of the losing.  I worry that Ulster in particular, find them difficult at home.

However looking at the teams, I have to think we'll have too much for them again this year (will I ever learn).  Can't be using the weather as an excuse for failing to run in 4 tries this week, and we have enough experience out there to know that anything else is unacceptable.

I think 5 points each for the playoff contenders this week.  Our real hope is that Connacht will stay interested enough to want to see Pat Lam off from the Sportsground with a big performance at the end of April.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by BRulster BRulster wrote:

Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Given that from our last 3 visits to Rodney Parade we have achieved 2 bonus points - both of the losing.  I worry that Ulster in particular, find them difficult at home.

However looking at the teams, I have to think we'll have too much for them again this year (will I ever learn).  Can't be using the weather as an excuse for failing to run in 4 tries this week, and we have enough experience out there to know that anything else is unacceptable.

I think 5 points each for the playoff contenders this week.  Our real hope is that Connacht will stay interested enough to want to see Pat Lam off from the Sportsground with a big performance at the end of April.

There is a huge gulf in class between the 2 sets of players so struggle to see how ulster dont get 5 points tonight. Hoping for some wind and rain tonight so that shocking pitch can play its part in a 13 all draw.....
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 7:25pm
Well down to 4 games, and we picked up a point.  Connacht away won't be easy, but we should beat Newport and Treviso very easily.

It would be bad if we win 16 or 17 games and not qualify.  I believe that Ulster will lose 1 or 2 games, nevertheless.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:28pm
Treviso beats the Ospreys who don't even get a losing BP...that is a big help with the head to head games coming up SmileSmile

Edited by Dafen Boy - 25 March 2017 at 9:28pm
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:28pm
Outstanding from Treviso but helped by the wretchedness of the Ospreys. 

Every little helps our cause Smile
In Pivac we trust
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Outstanding from Treviso but helped by the wretchedness of the Ospreys. 

Every little helps our cause Smile

The O's won't have AWJ the rest of the season also, they may not qualifyOuch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 26>
  Share Topic