Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro12 Run-in 2016/17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 9:33am
The fact that we have won two more games than both the Ospreys & Ulster may well count in our favour at the end of this. 
Sponsored Links

najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 1:14pm
Leaving aside the Dragons, who are generally poor full stop, the losing streaks of the Welsh regions this season have all coincided with key injuries - for the Scarlets there were Samson and Rob, for the Blues there were Anscombe and Nick Williams, and now for the Ospreys there are AWJ and Biggar. Anyway, all being well the Scarlets should make the play offs, while the Ospreys-Ulster match could be a decider. What is also interesting is how, apart from the third and fourth play off race and the Italian European Cup race, this season's table is more set in stone than this time last season, where things really did go to the wire in the final round.
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 1:44pm
5 points will put us there mathmatically let's have 'em in Connacht then enjoy schaudenfraude at our rivals expense.
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by solihullscarlet solihullscarlet wrote:

5 points will put us there mathmatically let's have 'em in Connacht then enjoy schaudenfraude at our rivals expense.

Connacht are nowhere near the force they were last season (and I don't think will be for a long time, especially with Pat Lam leaving) but they are still no pushovers, least of all in Galway.
Flaggman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flaggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Connacht are nowhere near the force they were last season (and I don't think will be for a long time, especially with Pat Lam leaving) but they are still no pushovers, least of all in Galway.

This is very true but Connacht pushed Leinster all the way last night and were very unlucky to lose. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Flaggman Flaggman wrote:

This is very true but Connacht pushed Leinster all the way last night and were very unlucky to lose. 

Which precisely proves my point. in fact, this was the first time Leinster won at Galway for something like three years. Keep in mind, however, that the Leinster squad in question was rather weaker than the one against the Ospreys, which itself missed out Sexton, Ringrose and Healy.
Steve twin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 5:51pm
Did anyone notice how understrength that Leister side woz?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Steve twin Steve twin wrote:

Read my post above.  Yet again, this proves my point of how Leinster (and to a slightly smaller extent Munster) are so far removed from the rest of the Pro 12.  Imo the only teams that really compete with Leinster and Munster in professional rugby in Europe are Saracens, Wasps, Toulon and Clermont.  I actually think that the two big Irish powerhouses could leave the Pro 12 and join the Aviva, where at least Saracens and Wasps, even if not so much the other English teams, could genuinely compete with them in a way that nobody in the Pro 12 really can.  This would not be without precedent either - Treviso used to be in the Italian Excellenza, but given the way they dominated it over the years they left it in favour of the Celtic League instead.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 8:50am

Read my post above.  Yet again, this proves my point of how Leinster (and to a slightly smaller extent Munster) are so far removed from the rest of the Pro 12.  Imo the only teams that really compete with Leinster and Munster in professional rugby in Europe are Saracens, Wasps, Toulon and Clermont.  I actually think that the two big Irish powerhouses could leave the Pro 12 and join the Aviva, where at least Saracens and Wasps, even if not so much the other English teams, could genuinely compete with them in a way that nobody in the Pro 12 really can.  This would not be without precedent either - Treviso used to be in the Italian Excellenza, but given the way they dominated it over the years they left it in favour of the Celtic League instead.

Well that sounds okay then. Leinster and Munster dominating in Pro12 (remember we have beaten both this season), Wasps and Sarries in the Aviva, Toulon and Clermont in France seems a healthy even spread of powerhouses.

It's not exactly unprecedented is it; Swansea,and Us early 90's, Leinster and Bath, Man U and Arsenal, Real and Barca, Ac & Juve, Australia and The All Blacks. In general the Top 10 of the Pro12 is pretty competitive. The Italians are a drain and two franchise sides may be a better option.

Look at some of the beatings that have taken place in the Aviva this season and yet you wouldn't dream of calling that uncompetitive.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Well that sounds okay then. Leinster and Munster dominating in Pro12 (remember we have beaten both this season), Wasps and Sarries in the Aviva, Toulon and Clermont in France seems a healthy even spread of powerhouses.

It's not exactly unprecedented is it; Swansea,and Us early 90's, Leinster and Bath, Man U and Arsenal, Real and Barca, Ac & Juve, Australia and The All Blacks. In general the Top 10 of the Pro12 is pretty competitive. The Italians are a drain and two franchise sides may be a better option.

Look at some of the beatings that have taken place in the Aviva this season and yet you wouldn't dream of calling that uncompetitive.

I think you misunderstood. What I said was not without precedent was the idea of a pro team ditching its original league for a foreign one. And I just said in another thread that there is a double standard with the way the Welsh pro teams are regarded, e.g. the massacre that Leinster inflicted on the Scarlets being seen as evidence of all that is wrong with Welsh rugby, whereas people think nothing of the comparable massacre Saracens inflicted on Bath a few weeks later.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2017 at 12:18pm
So that's it then.  Scarlets definitely in the play-offs, and Ospreys almost definitely in unless Ulster win by a cricket score against Leinster.  The match at Parc y Scarlets will effectively decide third and fourth places.
Stelth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stelth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2017 at 12:27pm
Well done Scarlets.
Coaching team proved me wrong from the frustration I vented start of the season.
What a great squad they have built and credit to all the players who have played a part in securing a top 4 finish, especially given how good Glasgow, Connaught & Ulster were last season.  Also, I really thouht the Blues were a threat this season, how wrong was I!!

My only negative of this season is the team's lack of ability to absolutely hammer teams, some games we've gone into half time thinking this is going to be 50-60 points and we come out and don't sore any tries!!  This I feel has cost us several bonus points but given how well we have played since October, minimal concern now!!
Who beat the Walla walla bies
The good old sosban fach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526
  Share Topic