Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU to take over The Dragons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:44am
Ploughing good money after bad to try and prop up a poorly supported entity in an arena riddled with historical conflicts about identity, zero regulatory compliance and no fully owned assets.
Awful consideration.
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:02pm
There's plenty of logic behind a CAP redevelopment although I'm not really sure why the WRU need to take over the Blues, permanently or temporarily, to allow that to happen.

The Dragons is another case, a lot of money needs to spent to get things up to scratch there (pitch, stadium, squad) and the return on investment is, to put it politely, not as easy to identify. And this money will have to come from a union that have been pleading poverty for a while.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Ploughing good money after bad to try and prop up a poorly supported entity in an arena riddled with historical conflicts about identity, zero regulatory compliance and no fully owned assets.
Awful consideration.
Actually I think this is a smart move by the union. They will own RP at a substantial discount to the land value. And if the promised land of regional utopia doesn't materialise, they'll do a Warriors, but with a £10m+ development site on the balance sheet.

the Dragons are finished anyway by all accounts. This way they can say they tried

A bit like us running the Red room for a year in order to sell of the car park to Marstons
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:45pm
Where do the WRU get the funding from ?
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 2:15pm
After everything the WRU have said they'd have to spend a significant amount before even considering admitting defeat. Buying the ground, the subsequent redevelopment, new pitch and 3 years wages for all staff is likely to be in the region of 20-30 million so that's a lot of cash to recoup on any potential ground sale.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 2:52pm
Plus Dave Parade is on a floodplain so I doubt they'd get any planning for housing or office development.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 7:03pm
Until Roger has gone into politics to help them out maybe
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 9:05pm
I always felt that the creation of regional rugby was a rushed job and born of necessity. I was of the opinion that Dodger and Pickering wanted the regions to fold and for the WRU to pick up the pieces. I hoped with Gareth Davies coming in that threat had passed and that the civil war was over. I can only speculate as to what exactly the WRU's intent is with the Blues and Dragons but I can say it worries me a great deal as to what the future holds for the Scarlets.

Er gwaethaf pawb a popeth, ry' ni yma o hyd ... but for how long bois bach? Go back 15 years and I think we can say that the existance of the Scarlets as a regional side was not anticipated. We have done remarkably well to achieve all that we have. Worrying times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic