Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU to take over Cardiff Blues as well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 2:48pm
Any money taken from the WRU whether it be for Dragons us Cardiff or Ospreys is money that is being diverted from grass roots of game when money is very short in first place. Could end up having serious consequences for lots of clubs.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:26pm
So East Wales Blue Dragons and West Wales Scarspreys is on the horizon then LOLLOL
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 7:38pm
Welsh Rugby is in a mess, teams not playing every Saturday, teams not able to field 15, a shambles, thank goodness I played in the 70's & 80's.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:55pm
The Player pathway from bottom to top is certainly not working and the erratic disjoint with supporter bases is also a real problem as is the lack of money funders in a poor economic country. WRU have got to lead on sorting this out.

Edited by reesytheexile - 06 March 2017 at 10:56pm
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:59am
Is this latest 'story' any different to the one in December?
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The Player pathway from bottom to top is certainly not working and the erratic disjoint with supporter bases is also a real problem as is the lack of money funders in a poor economic country. WRU have got to lead on sorting this out.
This all seems to be confused with the pro game tho, and it shouldn't be. Everything is lumped into one in Wales, and this is where the problems lies imo. We need to differentiate between the community game, semi pro and Pro game. I suspect within 2 years the semi pro game will be based around regional A teams anyway, so that landscape will change somewhat if funding to the Prem will cease. It should do as clearly it is falling short of its remit at present.

At that stage, we have to have separate governance for community and pro games, too many of the wrong people getting involved in crucial decisions. Ben Jeffreys at Pontypool has been banging this drum, quite righty, for some time.
#George
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

No. More bollox from Peter Thomas to suit his singular agenda. Exit the Blues with some return on his investment. Every knowledgeable Blues fan on Twitter acknowledges this
#George
joss View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

No. More bollox from Peter Thomas to suit his singular agenda. Exit the Blues with some return on his investment. Every knowledgeable Blues fan on Twitter acknowledges this
would he get any return tho, or will he just walk away and cut his losses ?
#HUMANTOURS Rise above the rest
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 9:02am
Unless rugby becomes attractive to watch then the crowd numbers are going to continue to disappear. I've spoken to a few people I know lately who don't even bother watching the rugby on the tv. If the regions had a couple of thousand more on the gates then the financial burden would be a lot less. We ourselves expected supporters to flock to the Parc . Our European attendances have been poor to say the least. Grass roots rugby is a worry with first teams struggling to field sides. I watched the Quins v Pontypridd on Saturday and the game was boring to say the least..There has been far too much emphasis on size and power which has been to the detriment of flair and skill.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:03am
Here's the full copy for info:

The Welsh Rugby Union is set to take control of two of its regional sides, Newport Gwent Dragons and Cardiff Blues.

The takeover of the impoverished Dragons is imminent and expected, but The Times understands that talks are also in progress with the Blues about taking control there, even though it is thought it would be a very different deal from that with the Dragons because of a proposed multi-million redevelopment of the iconic Arms Park ground.

The WRU already has a 50 per cent share in the Dragons and it is thought that an agreement has already been reached to go ahead with a deal that will save the Gwent region from oblivion.

The Dragons put themselves up for sale last April, but no significant new investment has been found.

The WRU would take control of the Rodney Parade ground in Newport, where the Dragons, Newport RFC and Newport County AFC all play, and would take on a debt-free company, with Martyn Hazell, the chairman, and long-time investor Tony Brown writing off their debts.

It is understood that the WRU will run the Dragons as a full-blown region and not as a development team, as has been mooted, but whether any of the four regions can compete financially with the English and French clubs will remain a problem. Only twice in the past eight seasons has a Welsh region reached the knockout stages of the elite European competition - the European Champions Cup or its predecessor, the Heineken Cup.

Both the Dragons and the Blues have been struggling on the field for some time. The Dragons slumped to a 47-17 defeat away to Glasgow Warriors on Saturday in the Guinness PRO12.

Kingsley Jones's side conceded seven tries, five in the second half, as a clinical display secured Glasgow a bonus point and kept their semi-final hopes alive. The Dragons are tenth in the table, having conceded 160 points in their past four fixtures - 45 against Munster, 14 to Connacht, 54 to Leinster, then 47 against Glasgow. Only the Italian sides, Treviso and Zebre, are below them in the table.

Meanwhile the Blues' run of two consecutive wins was ended by title-chasing Munster, who left it late to win 23-13 at the Arms Park. The home side led 6-3 at the break and were level at 13-13 as late as the 74th minute. The defeat meant the Blues dropped down to eighth in the table.

In the previous five seasons, the Dragons have not finished above ninth and the Blues have not ended a season better than seventh. Neither look likely to change that this time round.

More worrying is the fact that the Dragons had no representatives in the Wales squad that played Scotland in the last round of the RBS Six Nations and that Sam Warburton was the only Blues player involved in that fixture.

The WRU has 16 players on national dual contracts (two each at the Blues and Dragons) and the takeover of two of the regions will clearly be seen as another step towards complete central control, as is the case in New Zealand.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:06am
Originally posted by joss joss wrote:

I honestly don't know any more mate, albeit some on twitter say  just the latter
#George
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Unless rugby becomes attractive to watch then the crowd numbers are going to continue to disappear. I've spoken to a few people I know lately who don't even bother watching the rugby on the tv. If the regions had a couple of thousand more on the gates then the financial burden would be a lot less. We ourselves expected supporters to flock to the Parc . Our European attendances have been poor to say the least. Grass roots rugby is a worry with first teams struggling to field sides. I watched the Quins v Pontypridd on Saturday and the game was boring to say the least..There has been far too much emphasis on size and power which has been to the detriment of flair and skill.

Thing is mate, gate revenue is our 3rd or 4th biggest source of income behind monies from WRU, TV revenue, sponsorship etc. 2k people per game at £20 per ticket say would only be around £500k more revenue a season, from which there would be inevitable overheads in servicing that crowd. Given the funding gap, that doesn't even come close to addressing the problem. I appreciate other money would flow from those 2k elsewhere, and that would alleviate the burden. But we need a better TV deal and WRU funding to allow long term planning surely, and certainly to be able to compete better in the long term.

Look at Leinster's squad depth on the weekend and their 2 new signings. Scary!! Confused
#George
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:01am
I see Dragons have now signed Zane Kitchener for next season so you wonder how they could afford him ? Perhaps the WRU gave the financial nod ! The lack of openness is a worry as WRU should not be both Gamekeeper and Poacher in my opinion. 🤔
joss View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:07am

I honestly don't know any more mate, albeit some on twitter say  just the latter
I was told before xmas that Dickie Cloggs was out in the Middle East negotiating a deal with etihad or Emirates for the ground development so it all seems a bit up in the air tbh
#HUMANTOURS Rise above the rest
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 12:49pm
The WRU should close the Dragons down a waste of money distribute the players between the three regions and get on with the game we would have more money and therefore be able to compete they are a drain on WRU finances and do not contribute at all to the good of Welsh rugby.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:31pm

I was told before xmas that Dickie Cloggs was out in the Middle East negotiating a deal with etihad or Emirates for the ground development so it all seems a bit up in the air tbh
Have a look at PhilBB's blog on Twitter for an explanation of how complicated the whole Blues scenario is. Iesu Bach.....horrific.Confused
#George
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic