Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU to take over Cardiff Blues as well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Originally posted by joss joss wrote:

Originally posted by joss joss wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Is this latest 'story' any different to the one in December?

No. More bollox from Peter Thomas to suit his singular agenda. Exit the Blues with some return on his investment. Every knowledgeable Blues fan on Twitter acknowledges this
would he get any return tho, or will he just walk away and cut his losses ?

I honestly don't know any more mate, albeit some on twitter say  just the latter
I was told before xmas that Dickie Cloggs was out in the Middle East negotiating a deal with etihad or Emirates for the ground development so it all seems a bit up in the air tbh
Have a look at PhilBB's blog on Twitter for an explanation of how complicated the whole Blues scenario is. Iesu Bach.....horrific.Confused
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 2:31pm
Looks like for Peter Pies its if he gets the WRU to take over its worst case scenario he gets his cash back and carries on with the reputation as the guy that funded the Blues/Cardiff for 15/20 years and best case scenario he gets the above and his fingers in some more pies and his property development company get part/all of the contract for the redevelopment.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 2:39pm
If the Cardiff Blues takeover is correct and happens, I feel Peter Thomas will walk away from rugby.

He has said so in the past, and I am not sure how much he has invested in the Region, a guy I know says all he does is guarantee the loans and overdrafts.

Having had many a good night or day in the Athletic club years ago, I am sad to see it all folding up, just shows I'm an old fart deep down!!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 2:43pm
So......Blues and Dragons takeover - 
i.e. :
Blues and Dragons to merge. 
New development region in North Wales - RGC already hugely controled by WRU (if social media is correct!)

Then we have the NDCs....with 2 sides fully controlled by the union what are the odds that NDCs will be offered but only to play for those regions???? 

PhilBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 2:50pm
Thanks for posting the link.

To confirm some details here: 

- RGC1404 is wholly owned and funded by the WRU. 
- the likelihood of the WRU owning "Blues" is some way away and, if it happens at all, may only be temporary on licence.
- Dai38: if you want to know how much Peter Thomas has invested, its in here: https://rugbyphilbb.wordpress.com/2017/03/07/the-lease/

Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 4:05pm
It sounds as if any ownership model for the Blues would be vastly different to the Dragons.

If I was a Dragons fan I'd be concerned about a collaboration/merger with RGC1404.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 4:17pm
Thanks PhilBB for this. I must admit I am surprised, but one thing we all know Peter Thomas is a shrewd business man, and he will ensure he will get most of his money back, I'll stand with the part where he will walk away, maybe he'll join Stan in Merthyr!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
PhilBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 8:32am
If he gets any part of his money back through a successful and profitable re-development of Cardiff Arms Park, that funds the rugby team in the way the Ricoh funds Wasps, then good luck to him.
minime View Drop Down
Sod the Dragons, I'm a Turk now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:40pm
This is bollocks.  Do you know how many millions has been leveraged against Newport RFC and it's assets to spend money on the Dragons?  I am a shareholder so know exactly how much.  Crys16 have had a very good relationship with the Scarlets up to now and I think it would be wise for them to try and stay ahead of the curve here and have a meeting where they can ask some relevant  questions.  Growing developments to the east could have a huge impact for you and you need to be proactive. 
Clart with a heart now living in the land of the one eyed!
minime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:41pm
The above is in reply to Wasp
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 1:41pm
Thanks minime. Great info and advice.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
CRYS16 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote CRYS16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by minime minime wrote:

This is bollocks.  Do you know how many millions has been leveraged against Newport RFC and it's assets to spend money on the Dragons?  I am a shareholder so know exactly how much.  Crys16 have had a very good relationship with the Scarlets up to now and I think it would be wise for them to try and stay ahead of the curve here and have a meeting where they can ask some relevant  questions.  Growing developments to the east could have a huge impact for you and you need to be proactive. 

Thanks for the heads up but one of our committee, Helen, attended Scarlets Board meeting last Thursday and asked about this very subject. There have been no approaches from either side regarding WRU involvement in the running of the Scarlets.

The governing body fully running one team out of four could well cause some problems. We'll have to wait and see.
Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by CRYS16 CRYS16 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up but one of our committee, Helen, attended Scarlets Board meeting last Thursday and asked about this very subject. There have been no approaches from either side regarding WRU involvement in the running of the Scarlets.

The governing body fully running one team out of four could well cause some problems. We'll have to wait and see.

Appreciate this update. Thanks.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 8:42pm

The above is in reply to Wasp

What exactly are you replying to?
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
minime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 8:57pm
Not on ScrumV, but it's definitely on the table. Seems like Uncle Pete's really had enough. Blues to be split from Cardiff RFC and run by the WRU. Similar deal as at Dragons, where the WRU is fed up with them using their RSA money to fund Newport RFC rather than at least trying to build a team at the Dragons.

Ours and the Ospreys' fate is less clear, but the Ospreys seem the least keen on WRU taking a stake in them I believe.

This
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 9:12pm

Not on ScrumV, but it's definitely on the table. Seems like Uncle Pete's really had enough. Blues to be split from Cardiff RFC and run by the WRU. Similar deal as at Dragons, where the WRU is fed up with them using their RSA money to fund Newport RFC rather than at least trying to build a team at the Dragons.

Ours and the Ospreys' fate is less clear, but the Ospreys seem the least keen on WRU taking a stake in them I believe.

This

OK Thanks. Well I only know what I've been told by a fairly knowledgeable source, that Dragons spend less than the RSA funding on the 1st team. Also the latest accounts seem to show that the entire losses were funded by the WRU loan facility, not the funding directors. To me this indicates that the funding directors have given up.

Are you saying that my source and others who claim that the squad bill is closer to £2.5m than £3.5m are misinformed then? The "extra money" that will strengthen the squad will come from the separation of Dragons from NRFC and is not extra money at all.

Is what I've been told!!

And by the way I've read the accounts and I can also see exactly how much has been leveraged against Rodney Parade.

Edited by Wasp - 08 March 2017 at 9:22pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic