Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales changes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:38am
Howley won't change the team in my view. He has stuck to a winning side as much as a losing one (occasionally).

Wales are still favourites to end 5th ( winning against France in France is always a challenge ), so that would have to go down as a disappointing campaign of course.

Edited by Wil Chips - 12 March 2017 at 6:19am
Sponsored Links

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The only reason not to is if the WC seeding is dependant on the Paris result.[/QUOTE]

The win on Friday has ensured us of a top 8 ranking for the WC draw. A win over France might even put us 5th. Scotland's thrashing yesterday helps with that.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

The only reason not to is if the WC seeding is dependant on the Paris result.

The win on Friday has ensured us of a top 8 ranking for the WC draw. A win over France might even put us 5th. Scotland's thrashing yesterday helps with that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that... I saw that we were guaranteed of top 8, though I'm not sure on the details. Are the 'seedings/rankings' decided at the end of the 6N? And does that mean we could be anywhere from 5th to 8th, depending on the results in the last round?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:40am
For France I would change Liam for 1/2p, keep biggar for defensive reasons, and change the back row to either: 6 morriaty, 7 warburton, 8 faletau or 6 warburton, 7 young, 8 mortuary. My preference is the 1st. Tipuric is underperforing by a country mile. He hasn't won a turn over in the last 2 games and has been bullied of the park by 2 more aggressive backrows. The same will happen against France.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 11:19am

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Perhaps the more knowledgeable here could comment....if Sexton had committed a cynical offense by deliberately killing the ball on the Irish line, with the Welsh forwards all over him like a rash...and it was deemed serious enough to warrant a yellow card...why were Wales not awarded a Penalty Try as surely the Welsh forwards would have scored but for Sextons offense?
I think the key point mate is that it wasn't a clear and certain try had Sexton not stopped the ball from coming out.

On a more general point, I feel a bit of a coward for not posting this before last night's game, but I have always felt that the criticism of the coaching set up and the team has been greatly exaggerated.

Yes we played poorly against Scotland, but Howley's record s pretty good since he took over from Gatland.  And that first try by North was as good as you will see.  Lots of movement around the ball carrier and whereas Roberts would have probably taken contact and gone to ground, Scott makes the break through three defenders and passes.  Webb's contribution was also excellent and key.

Yes one fluid movement in 80 minutes.....great coaching
Three tries to nil against the side that was expected to be a contender for the 6N title is perhaps a fairer way to look at it.  Plus, it was much more than one fluid movement in 80 mis. Our backs were quite exciting I thought, running ball from well within our own half right up to the Irish try line on several occasions.  
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

For France I would change Liam for 1/2p, keep biggar for defensive reasons, and change the back row to either: 6 morriaty, 7 warburton, 8 faletau or 6 warburton, 7 young, 8 mortuary. My preference is the 1st. Tipuric is underperforing by a country mile. He hasn't won a turn over in the last 2 games and has been bullied of the park by 2 more aggressive backrows. The same will happen against France.

I'm sorry I have been Tuperics biggest critic due to his vulnerability at te breakdown but Friday was his best game for Wales and deserved to keep his place. The penalty he have away when they took lead to be 6-5 up was not pen he let the tackles player albeit for a split second and went back in was too subtle for Barnes to see.
Biggar has to go in my view he a liability in defence and attack. Whilst I don't advocate dropping Webb someone should have word about stupid pens he gives away another three needless ones on Friday put us under pressure.

Edited by Why - 12 March 2017 at 12:22pm
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:48pm

Tipuric played really well on Friday
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 2:01pm
Think friday was a huge defensive effort but will gloss over the fact that we are still out of ideas with the ball after 4/5 phases. Think sam davies would make a huge difference as he always has variety in his attack. We had a period in the second half where we played to protect our lead instead of going out there and trying to score more tries.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 2:20pm
Everyone is allowed their opinion, and that's mine. In a fast flowing game, yes, he is the no7. But I don't agree. His work rate was no higher than any other forward. He is bullied at the breakdown and therefore in a modern game, a liability.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:00pm
Absolutely allowed an opinion, even if no one agrees.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Absolutely allowed an opinion, even if no one agrees.

Thank you will
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I'm sorry I have been Tuperics biggest critic due to his vulnerability at te breakdown but Friday was his best game for Wales and deserved to keep his place. The penalty he have away when they took lead to be 6-5 up was not pen he let the tackles player albeit for a split second and went back in was too subtle for Barnes to see.
Biggar has to go in my view he a liability in defence and attack. Whilst I don't advocate dropping Webb someone should have word about stupid pens he gives away another three needless ones on Friday put us under pressure.

You're right - it was one of very few decisions that Barnes got wrong. I thought he had the best game I've ever seen from him - I have not always been an admirer!

As for Biggar - I'd like to see Sam given an opportunity, especially if we are top 8 regardless of the result, but I doubt it will happen. Biggar proved totally incapable of playing in the faces of the opposition - Sam should start, or we should send the wheelchair for Priestland Wink, though I must disagree about his defence - he put in another very brave and effective tackling stint, I thought.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 12:00pm
If we are guaranteed 8th then being 5th makes no difference to who we can get in the draw? Give Sam a go!
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 12:09pm
On scrum V yesterday the only reason to finish 2nd and not 5th is £1.75 million on winnings.

May be a reason to wait till the summer???
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Perhaps the more knowledgeable here could comment....if Sexton had committed a cynical offense by deliberately killing the ball on the Irish line, with the Welsh forwards all over him like a rash...and it was deemed serious enough to warrant a yellow card...why were Wales not awarded a Penalty Try as surely the Welsh forwards would have scored but for Sextons offense?
I think the key point mate is that it wasn't a clear and certain try had Sexton not stopped the ball from coming out.

On a more general point, I feel a bit of a coward for not posting this before last night's game, but I have always felt that the criticism of the coaching set up and the team has been greatly exaggerated.

Yes we played poorly against Scotland, but Howley's record s pretty good since he took over from Gatland.  And that first try by North was as good as you will see.  Lots of movement around the ball carrier and whereas Roberts would have probably taken contact and gone to ground, Scott makes the break through three defenders and passes.  Webb's contribution was also excellent and key.

Yes one fluid movement in 80 minutes.....great coaching
Three tries to nil against the side that was expected to be a contender for the 6N title is perhaps a fairer way to look at it.  Plus, it was much more than one fluid movement in 80 mis. Our backs were quite exciting I thought, running ball from well within our own half right up to the Irish try line on several occasions.  

I guess we watched a different game, then, as one try came from a charge down, one from a 5m line out.  Watch the England backs and all the dummy running and pre-planned moves, that is coaching.

We played well and defended well, but rarely looked like scoring.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

If we are guaranteed 8th then being 5th makes no difference to who we can get in the draw? Give Sam a go!

We can get 4th if we win and England wins..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic