Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stradey remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stradey remembered
    Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:10am
Last Saturday Delme unveiled a stone memorial in memory of Stradey Park in the middle of the houses. It was organised by former Llanelli full back Terry Davies. It was nice to see Benny , Roy and Derek Quinnell there too.

Edited by LLANDRE - 14 March 2017 at 11:11am
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Last Saturday Delme unveiled a stone memorial in memory of Stradey Park in the middle of the houses. It was organised by former Llanelli full back Terry Davies. It was nice to see Benny , Roy and Derek Quinnell there too.

And I bet it broke his bloody heart Angry
In Pivac we trust
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 1:20pm
I cannot, and will not go down there. It hurts too much to see what we gave up, for nothing.

I cant even look right anymore when i drive down sandy rd, which i always did before.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I cannot, and will not go down there. It hurts too much to see what we gave up, for nothing.

I cant even look right anymore when i drive down sandy rd, which i always did before.
Don't agree with you that moving to PYS was for nothing. It was probably the only solution in the modern age of rugby. But I'm the same as you when I drive past Stradey. My head just can't turn, it only looks straight ahead. Whenever there's a documentary on the players or Stradey itself, invariably on S4C, I make every effort to watch it. They make me equally upset and happy.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 5:08pm
I saw the piece they did on Heno on S4C and I felt very sad. I'm not going into the arguments over the move now it's being discussed till the cows come home, bit I agree with the sentiments of Speedy and Pimpernel. I miss the place terribly and wish we were still there. However what is done is done now and we can't change history.

Edited by LLANDRE - 14 March 2017 at 5:10pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 5:18pm
You remember how run down Stradey was becoming when you visit some of the Premiership clubs these days. Generally in modest/poor condition with awful pitches. What we now have at Parc Y Scarlets is not Stradey but it is a magnificent modern stadium fit for 2017 Professional rugby. I wish more would turn up though and support the region. The 14400 capacity is never attained apart from Ospreys once a year. Still sad mind re the old days. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 14 March 2017 at 5:19pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

You remember how run down Stradey was becoming when you visit some of the Premiership clubs these days. Generally in modest/poor condition with awful pitches. What we now have at Parc Y Scarlets is not Stradey but it is a magnificent modern stadium fit for 2017 Professional rugby. I wish more would turn up though and support the region. The 14400 capacity is never attained apart from Ospreys once a year. Still sad mind re the old days. 

It wont be long before pys is in the same state.

What then?

I cant come and watch anymore. Its a dreadful experience.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 12:27am

What then?

I went last season and found it a very enjoyable experience other than the long lines at half time.  The Barn was fun, and it was a good atmosphere.

Not sure how you fill it up though as we can't win many more games than we are winning now.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Don't agree with you that moving to PYS was for nothing. It was probably the only solution in the modern age of rugby. But I'm the same as you when I drive past Stradey. My head just can't turn, it only looks straight ahead. Whenever there's a documentary on the players or Stradey itself, invariably on S4C, I make every effort to watch it. They makei me equally upset and happy.
it could and should have been handled so much better which would also  have helped the move be more successful than it is
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 2:16am

What then?

Mate, the home games v Toulon and Sarries were anything but a dreadful experience. They were right up there with anything we had at Stradey, as were the performances. 

I miss the old girl as much as anyone, but what we have now at PYS is exactly what we need to be viable in a professional rugby environment. It really is time to move on. 
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:37am
I had some of my best rugby memories growing up in the 70's watching the Scarlets lucky enough to live 2 min walk from Stradey. Memories running on at half time getting autographs and learning new words listening to half time team talk. Playing games of rugby behind the posts at the town end before and after games The crowds were no bigger than now other than the odd Internatioonal team when they somehow used to cram thousands in with even kids on benches who had been given the afternoon off school to go to the game. Kiwi and Aussie supporters living in camper vans in the car park before the touring games. Great memories that could never now be replicated as the game has moved on we could never have stayed there and survived as we are. Was a privilege to have grown up watching the best club side in the world in the best rugby ground however it was time to leave and yes the move was handled badly but they can't take the memories away.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
magicman64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote magicman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

What then?

Mate, the home games v Toulon and Sarries were anything but a dreadful experience. They were right up there with anything we had at Stradey, as were the performances. 

I miss the old girl as much as anyone, but what we have now at PYS is exactly what we need to be viable in a professional rugby environment. It really is time to move on. 
yeah couldn't agree with you more . Time to forget all the politics of the past and come watch the team we all love
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by magicman64 magicman64 wrote:

What then?

yeah couldn't agree with you more . Time to forget all the politics of the past and come watch the team we all love

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

But it just isnt Llanelli Rugby Football Club anymore.

I thought we stood alone? Why did we fight?
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:06am

What then?

Hear, hear!Clap
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:09am

Originally posted by magicman64 magicman64 wrote:

What then?

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

But it just isnt Llanelli Rugby Football Club anymore.

I thought we stood alone? Why did we fight?

It might not be, but its still the Scarlets which is the most important thing.

I really dont understand what the big difference is though, we are still a team with a decent level of players from the area.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:10am
I go down there all the time to watch my true club play "Llanelli Wanderers" and in the summer go to the ranch to watch the cricket.

It is truly sad that we moved, but I do understand all the reasons why.

Virtually all the ground needed to be developed, including the new stand because the facilities and of great legal importance H&S.

We would never have raised the money.

We have now got P-Y-S, a great venue which is not as much of a success as it should be, partly down to people like me.

I do go to watch the Scarlets not as often as I feel I should but life changes.

We all need to look forward and maybe the crowds will rise that would be good.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic