Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stradey remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:00am
I refer to my previous pot yesterday.

Stradey park had minimal maintenance in the final few years and was in a poor structural state.

The capacity was around 8/9k, there was nothing behind the posts and the old stand would have had to be demolished and rebuild.

The field itself was good but needed attention, and there were hardly any facilities at the ground.

At the time it would have cost around £1/1.5 k per seat to build, and that equates to around £10/£15 million, plus other facilities.

The new stand would have needed upgrading, so if we developed the old Stradey Park it would have cost us £20 million. We did not have the money, and it would have taken us around 3-4 years even longer to complete the work, during that time revenue would have been affected so repayments of any loans would have been difficult.

Most grants at that level would have needed match funding, i.e to obtain a grant of £5 million, needed us to have £5 million of our cash, we did not have any.

I was brought up near the ground, I could see it from my bedroom, I loved the area with all its facilities, in stradey you had 3 rugby clubs playing, a tennis club, a cricket club and 4 clubs to drink, it had everything.

I was gutted when we left the area but to survive as a club we had to move.

We have superb facilities at PYS it's not stradey, and it never will be in our life time, but we and me included must follow the NEW club and think ahead.

I like a few would like this thread to be closed now it is generating far too much negativity.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:19am
Well said!  Clap
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

That said, it was a crumbling wreck and we could never have raised the money to modernise it. 

One of the issues is that the powers that be who were in charge at that time never stated publicly how much it would cost for Stradey to be modernised. All that was needed in reality was something similar to the current South Stand which would have replaced the South Stand at Stradey. 

It was at a time (2004) when the banks were cash rich and interest rates low. We could have borrowed (as well as grants, sponsorship and all other avenues of finance) if the appetite was there. And when all is said and done, the appetite wasn`t there. This was more about Pemberton Retail Park being built more than anything else.

For me, I see no reason why we couldn`t have had something very similar to Ravenhill/Kingspan built on the site at Stradey; a stadium which cost £22 million as opposed to the cost of PYS which was £20 million, and a far superior rugby stadium aesthetically IMHO.

Sadly it didn`t happen. Stradey ain`t getting rebulit. And that, as they say, is f**king that.
We had to sell Stradey to get the £7m downpayment  for CCC to build PYS for us
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 1:07pm
I don't see this thread as negative at all - just shows the passion of supporters for the heritage of the club - before and after the seismic shifts of professionalism and 'regionalism' - and a heartfelt yearning to see success return to Llanelli, for Parc y Scarlets to echo the glories of Stradey, for old fans to return and new ones to catch the fever.

I can totally understand the misty-eyed, fond rememberings of days gone by. There's perhaps no way to reproduce the special Stradey atmosphere in a modern stadium, but that history gives the club and its new generation a high benchmark to aim for. The roots of the club are deep-set in the West Wales community, a font of extraordinary talent professionally nurtured in an historically rich environment.

We are still here, and though the future will be challenging and often uncertain, the platform, passion and desire to succeed, to keep getting better and return the glory days, still burn brightly in everyone here and those involved with the Scarlets. What a privilege it is to be part of it.

HollowayScarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote HollowayScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 3:03pm
Stradey Park should rightful be remembered and marked. And the fact that the posts still stand at the entrance of the town I think is an incredible reference to the historic site and its importance to the town. It is great that a statue is being laid at the site. 

However, the Stradey atmosphere people talk off wasn't created by its brick and concrete, it was created by the supporters who came and the team that played.

The Scarlets is one of the only welsh rugby identities which has survived the professional era to still play at highest club level. Supporters should be grateful it has survived. Look at Paris, looks at London Welsh, looks at Dragons.

I think there is some great work going on and off the field to increase the brand reach both locally and across 'the region'. We must be proud of the past and the clubs great history as it is part of its identity, but we can not live in the past. To those abstaining Parc y Scarlets, there is still a great team achieving great thinks against great opposition in your town. 

jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by HollowayScarlet HollowayScarlet wrote:

Stradey Park should rightful be remembered and marked. And the fact that the posts still stand at the entrance of the town I think is an incredible reference to the historic site and its importance to the town. It is great that a statue is being laid at the site. 

However, the Stradey atmosphere people talk off wasn't created by its brick and concrete, it was created by the supporters who came and the team that played.

The Scarlets is one of the only welsh rugby identities which has survived the professional era to still play at highest club level. Supporters should be grateful it has survived. Look at Paris, looks at London Welsh, looks at Dragons.

I think there is some great work going on and off the field to increase the brand reach both locally and across 'the region'. We must be proud of the past and the clubs great history as it is part of its identity, but we can not live in the past. To those abstaining Parc y Scarlets, there is still a great team achieving great thinks against great opposition in your town. 

Great post👍👍👍
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 10:27am
yeah well said holloway
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

But it just isnt Llanelli Rugby Football Club anymore.

I thought we stood alone? Why did we fight?

I know where you're coming from on this, but I think it's more that the sport itself isn't what it was, rather than it not being the club we supported anymore.

I think our backers and management have been fantastic in keeping our history and tradition at the top end of the game despite incredible challenges. It's just gut-wrenching that we're not enjoying success or magical runs in Europe anymore.

That is also one of the things that has driven me away, the sport in general isnt as appealing to me to want to travel, and pay to watch it.

Admitedly that isnt the scarlets fault.

Going back to the stradey pys topic tho, I feel many mistakes were made in the design, position, and planning of the new stadium. Someone as OCD as myself cannot cope with seeing it lol.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by jeremy windell jeremy windell wrote:

I cannot, and will not go down there. It hurts too much to see what we gave up, for nothing.

I cant even look right anymore when i drive down sandy rd, which i always did before.

Bet you have a sly look to the left when you drive back though eh....

Honestly, no. It is too upsetting. 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:41am

I gave it many years, its not like i refused to go. Ive been there for sell outs. It is affected by a culture change of the times too, but what some are calling atmosphere these days dont know their butt from their topknot.

I used to think it was about the supporters and the people, not bricks and mortar. but pys is really not conducive of an intimidating home crowd.

The balance is all wrong. It is way too family friendly. (i know people wont see what i am saying here)

But the place is too sterile. too bland. 

Looking back it was the beginning of the end when the council put a stop to running on the pitch at stradey.

There was an immediate downturn in atmosphere and ethos as to what supporting Llanelli rugby football club was all about after that.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:45am
Perhaps what is needed is a new generation of youngsters to lift their heads from their smartphones and tear it up old skool.

A part of me dies each time i see an opposition hooker throw in in front of the north terrace in perfect  peace and tranquility.
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 9:35am

outstanding post.ClapClapClapClap.just don't get most of this sentimental nonsence about stradey.think it's just an easy excuse not to go and watch scarlets anymore,i bet if the ones staying away from pys were offered free tickets for every home game,they'd make an effort to go then. I miss stradey,just like every other scarlets fan,i miss it,got some great memories,but hey ho,it's gone,move on.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

outstanding post.ClapClapClapClap.just don't get most of this sentimental nonsence about stradey.think it's just an easy excuse not to go and watch scarlets anymore,i bet if the ones staying away from pys were offered free tickets for every home game,they'd make an effort to go then. I miss stradey,just like every other scarlets fan,i miss it,got some great memories,but hey ho,it's gone,move on.

Lets not confuse the issue here, there were people staying away from Stradey for silly reasons too, but were soon first in line for semi finals and free busses.

I understand the point you are making.

I am underwhelmed by what PYS is, compared to what was promised it would be, and the potential it had to really extract and draw upon the Stradey experience, injected into a modern arena.

We missed multiple tricks along the way, what we are left with is pretty poor tbh.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 10:09am

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

Lets not confuse the issue here, there were people staying away from Stradey for silly reasons too, but were soon first in line for semi finals and free busses.

I understand the point you are making.

I am underwhelmed by what PYS is, compared to what was promised it would be, and the potential it had to really extract and draw upon the Stradey experience, injected into a modern arena.

We missed multiple tricks along the way, what we are left with is pretty poor tbh.
What tricks did we miss?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
spirit of 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spirit of 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 10:54am
I'm sure most can understand why the move was necessary but it does not mean that you have to like it.

I really miss Stradey and the atmosphere but one of the problems is now the fact that Regional Rugby means that the majority of games are against teams who will not bring as many supporters as say Neath, Bridgend, Pontypridd, let alone Swansea.

The fact is that the switching around of kick off times over a weekend also means that people have lost the habit of going. That is a much exercised argument on this site but it is the basis of many of the problems relating to attendances, and yes, I do understand the importance of TV money and I watch the Scarlets on the box far more often than I would have done in the old days.

But one thing can easily be restored and that is the name. I simply do not understand why they had to drop 'Llanelli'. It gave the region a sense of identity which has been diminished.
Fairplay
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by spirit of 72 spirit of 72 wrote:

I'm sure most can understand why the move was necessary but it does not mean that you have to like it.

I really miss Stradey and the atmosphere but one of the problems is now the fact that Regional Rugby means that the majority of games are against teams who will not bring as many supporters as say Neath, Bridgend, Pontypridd, let alone Swansea.

The fact is that the switching around of kick off times over a weekend also means that people have lost the habit of going. That is a much exercised argument on this site but it is the basis of many of the problems relating to attendances, and yes, I do understand the importance of TV money and I watch the Scarlets on the box far more often than I would have done in the old days.

But one thing can easily be restored and that is the name. I simply do not understand why they had to drop 'Llanelli'. It gave the region a sense of identity which has been diminished.

That is a very interesting point tbh it is a bit odd... I think we did it to try and form a seperate identity from the llanelli rugby club and the scarlets , also to try appeal to the rest of the region outside llanelli maybe also appease the newport gwent springboks who seem to have had a chip on both shoulders about us and cerdiff blues keeping our standalone identity from day one

Edited by roy munster - 18 March 2017 at 12:48pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic