Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Henson joins Dragons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I don't know but 3 quality signings of a certain age who can together really help gel the young Dragons team. I reckon WRU are fully behind these decisions . Henson will also put extra bums on seats. 

Just like Leigh Byrne, Ian Gouch and Andy Powell when they signed.  On paper it looks like they should be great signings to help bring through younger players etc.  But it didn't work out with those three, and I am not too sure it is going to work with these three either.
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:46pm
We can but see.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

To be fair to the Dragons they did not know that injuries and illness would cut short their careers, I know it is more risky the older you are, but it can hit anyone...Richard Kelly, Morgan Stoddard, and many more.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We can but see.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

To be fair to the Dragons they did not know that injuries and illness would cut short their careers, I know it is more risky the older you are, but it can hit anyone...Richard Kelly, Morgan Stoddard, and many more.
true but when a player reaches a certian age that has had serious history with injuries in last 5yrs, you have to ask the question...Injuries can end anybodys careers, the players you mention were not "prone" to injuries prior to their serious breaks that unfortunately ended their careers. 
When players have had numerous injuries throughout a season and more or less fail to string a few games together due to picking up niggles here and there, people are bound to ask questions when you sign what are 3 very injury prone players. Hope it works for them...risks worth taking for them IMO. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 2:49pm
Don't think I'd take any of the three signings here, in all honesty.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 3:08pm
I don't think anyone in the Scarlets would take them, but it is horses for courses, and for the Dragons certainly worth a risk.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 4:14pm
A good rest and pre season for them 3 and rest  whilst our bois go on Lions tours ( small number) and then a lot on the Summer tour down South against the Islanders! Injury world perhaps? The WRU must be well aware of this and approve the tactics as substantial owners. 

They may be on part pay as you play of course. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 15 March 2017 at 4:16pm
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 11:45am
This really is back to the future!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Can't see Henson putting bums on seats. Simply is not one of those players anymore. The new generation of supporters have no idea who he is. He has been out of the line light, out of Europe, Welsh squad, and most of his rugby has been in English championship in last 3yrs.

He can still probably turn it on every now and then...but I prefer Foxy/Scott/Parkes!

Their signings have BAGS of experience that they can pass on to players so someone like Tyler Morgan can benefit playing alongside Henson perhaps. But as already mentioned injury prone bit of an understatement and going to the bottom side of pro 12 (bar Italian) shows that they may be tackling more than they attack.

I do however believe no matter how risky these are, for the Dragons, risks worth taking.

He'll most likely be heckled more than being supported in all honesty. Shocked
Scarlets!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic