FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On this day in 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On this day in 2007
    Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Vulcan Vulcan wrote:

I used to watch La Rochelle in the ProD2. Big crowds and lots of social drinking, very similar to ASM.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:36am
I used to watch La Rochelle in the ProD2. Big crowds and lots of social drinking, very similar to ASM.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Let me clarify. I have no particular bias against Saracens it is the principle of importing foreign starts ahead of home grown talent that I am against. I should have selected Toulon or Montpelier.

You seem to suggest that you would be happy if the Scarlets could have followed the Toulon model. I certainly would not even if it had been allowed by the WRU.Β 

You also seem to suggest that sports franchises are somehow treated differently to other corporations by the Banks/lending institutions. I don't think so. Lines of credit will be given depending on the asset cover & cast iron personal guarantees. National governing bodies have a huge role to play in setting the rules. The WRU capping the quantity of non Welsh qualified players per squad against the French Federations stance is a perfect example.Β 

The Scarlets do follow the Toulon model. It's exactly the same. We're just not as good at it and not in a sellable league.

French rugby has JIFF quotas. i.e. Minimum amount of (12 I think) French qualified players in any matchday squad. That's compared to 14 Welsh qualified players in Welsh regional squads (as set out by WRU). So your anger is all based on 2 more foreign players per squad? Seems rather petty to me.

In relation to this :

"I have no particular bias against Saracens it is the principle of importing foreign starts ahead of home grown talent that I am against."

we would have had no Regan King, Easterby, Finau, Barclay, Parkes, Hodges, Lyons, Ben Morgan etc etc etc if we ere not allowed to "import foreigners". Or is there a magic limit that you want to impose ?

You really should read other posters comments - but what the hell that may get in the way of your arguement. I have never said that all overseas players should be banned. The wonderful players you mention have graced the Scarlets sides over many years. Its the quantity that I am against. You really believe that our model is the same as Toulon. You also list quotas. Lets try the facts shall we - todays Toulon 23 contains 12 players not eligible for France. The last Scarlets team contained 6 not eligible for Wales. Broaden it out to the wider squad & the Scarlets have another two - Bernardo & Bulbring; Toulon have around 8. So we have 8 in our full squad with Toulon having around 20. So my anger, as you put it, is based on as little more than two!!!! As far as my magic limit I think the WRU have it about right as do the IRFU.

Ok. Lets hope the nasty French listen to you and change their ways.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 9:27am

Let me clarify. I have no particular bias against Saracens it is the principle of importing foreign starts ahead of home grown talent that I am against. I should have selected Toulon or Montpelier.

You seem to suggest that you would be happy if the Scarlets could have followed the Toulon model. I certainly would not even if it had been allowed by the WRU. 

You also seem to suggest that sports franchises are somehow treated differently to other corporations by the Banks/lending institutions. I don't think so. Lines of credit will be given depending on the asset cover & cast iron personal guarantees. National governing bodies have a huge role to play in setting the rules. The WRU capping the quantity of non Welsh qualified players per squad against the French Federations stance is a perfect example. 

The Scarlets do follow the Toulon model. It's exactly the same. We're just not as good at it and not in a sellable league.

French rugby has JIFF quotas. i.e. Minimum amount of (12 I think) French qualified players in any matchday squad. That's compared to 14 Welsh qualified players in Welsh regional squads (as set out by WRU). So your anger is all based on 2 more foreign players per squad? Seems rather petty to me.

In relation to this :

"I have no particular bias against Saracens it is the principle of importing foreign starts ahead of home grown talent that I am against."

we would have had no Regan King, Easterby, Finau, Barclay, Parkes, Hodges, Lyons, Ben Morgan etc etc etc if we ere not allowed to "import foreigners". Or is there a magic limit that you want to impose ?

You really should read other posters comments - but what the hell that may get in the way of your arguement. I have never said that all overseas players should be banned. The wonderful players you mention have graced the Scarlets sides over many years. Its the quantity that I am against. You really believe that our model is the same as Toulon. You also list quotas. Lets try the facts shall we - todays Toulon 23 contains 12 players not eligible for France. The last Scarlets team contained 6 not eligible for Wales. Broaden it out to the wider squad & the Scarlets have another two - Bernardo & Bulbring; Toulon have around 8. So we have 8 in our full squad with Toulon having around 20. So my anger, as you put it, is based on as little more than two!!!! As far as my magic limit I think the WRU have it about right as do the IRFU.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Mart, they were tipped as strong relegation candidates preseason.

No strong cash boost, afaik. They were sparkling last night.

In the past they've been a bit forward oriented and dull. This season, they've had much more than that. Hope they make it to Edinburgh for the final.

If Ioan Cunningham was watching their maul, it'll have been time well spent.πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚

La Rochelle are the great surprise team in this years top 14. They have the audacity to win away from home!!!!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 7:48pm
Mart, they were tipped as strong relegation candidates preseason.

No strong cash boost, afaik. They were sparkling last night.

In the past they've been a bit forward oriented and dull. This season, they've had much more than that. Hope they make it to Edinburgh for the final.

If Ioan Cunningham was watching their maul, it'll have been time well spent.πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚

Edited by Eastern outpost - 01 April 2017 at 7:49pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I saw stade Rochelais beat Edinburgh in the challenge cup and then noticed they are top of the Top 14! Forgive my ignorance but I've not heard of them before and didn't think they were one of the big French sides. Have they had a recent cash injection or something? They have a lot of kiwi and saffas in their squad as well I see.

They are the real surprise of this year, I ve watched many games of them and play a really enjoyable rugby, a mix of power of their forward and skilled and pace backs, all linked by experience of Brock James as flyhalf...they have important names like Atonio,  Eaton, Vito, Paul Jordan, Botia and many youngs french in the backs...their phisical coach is italian...
Really good team and surely they are candidate to win Challenge cup and maybe do well in Top14
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 7:16pm
I saw stade Rochelais beat Edinburgh in the challenge cup and then noticed they are top of the Top 14! Forgive my ignorance but I've not heard of them before and didn't think they were one of the big French sides. Have they had a recent cash injection or something? They have a lot of kiwi and saffas in their squad as well I see.

Edited by dr_martinov - 01 April 2017 at 7:19pm
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 11:40am

You seem to suggest that you would be happy if the Scarlets could have followed the Toulon model. I certainly would not even if it had been allowed by the WRU.Β 

You also seem to suggest that sports franchises are somehow treated differently to other corporations by the Banks/lending institutions. I don't think so. Lines of credit will be given depending on the asset cover & cast iron personal guarantees. National governing bodies have a huge role to play in setting the rules. The WRU capping the quantity of non Welsh qualified players per squad against the French Federations stance is a perfect example.Β 

In relation to this :

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 11:22am
To be fair to Sarries as well, their days of being a South African​ off-shoot are gone. This is their starting team for today's quarter
Alex Goode; Chris Ashton, Marcelo Bosch, Brad Barritt, Sean Maitland; Owen Farrell, Richard Wigglesworth; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Juan Figallo, Maro Itoje, Jim Hamilton, Michael Rhodes, Jackson Wray, Billy Vunipola

So very few imported stars

But c'mon Glasgow anyway!!!!

Edited by Rich (Bris) - 01 April 2017 at 11:22am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 10:03am

Its the usual question - how much identity has a squad with the team/region they represent.

Ask the Toulon fans how much they still identify with their rugby team.

Quote It is totally wrong to describe Leinster as a chequebook team as they have a large majority of home grown talent, developed in their academy. The problem associated with the French teams is that they have moved away from relying on developing their own squads to funding galacticos squads. They have been allowed to do this as the ruling body have been slow to instill quotas & their huge TV deal gives them access to funding. 

They still have quotas. They're just clever with them. Like Delon Armitage counting as a non foreign player etc.

Quote Many Aviva teams are now following that model and teams like Leicester who used to be packed with homegrown talent find themselves having to throw money at expensive overseas signings to keep pace with Wasps & Saracens. Despite the TV deal I see it ending in tears. Saracens debts appear to be unsustainable topping Β£40+ million.

It's only unsutainable if the debt is called on them. People just seem to not understand the way professional sports club operate.

Manchester Utd are HALF A BILLION pounds in debt. Are they unsustainable too?

Quote The RFU are a little two faced as they, on the one hand, refuse to consider anyone playing outside England while on the other hand rush to cap South Sea Islanders who have no more affinity to the Red Rose than being happy to pick up the 22k per match fee. The attempt by World Rugby to make the South Sea Islands professional rugby more sustainable locally is a long overdue initiative.

If there was a dramatic reduction in the availability of South Sea Island talent combined with strict residency rules - 7-10 years & a club like Saracens going bust then we may see some sense returning to our beloved game. 

Saracens aren't going to go bust in the next few years. And wishing them to, is a little bad taste to be honest.

You seem to suggest that you would be happy if the Scarlets could have followed the Toulon model. I certainly would not even if it had been allowed by the WRU. 

You also seem to suggest that sports franchises are somehow treated differently to other corporations by the Banks/lending institutions. I don't think so. Lines of credit will be given depending on the asset cover & cast iron personal guarantees. National governing bodies have a huge role to play in setting the rules. The WRU capping the quantity of non Welsh qualified players per squad against the French Federations stance is a perfect example. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 9:55am

Its the usual question - how much identity has a squad with the team/region they represent.

Ask the Toulon fans how much they still identify with their rugby team.

Quote It is totally wrong to describe Leinster as a chequebook team as they have a large majority of home grown talent, developed in their academy. The problem associated with the French teams is that they have moved away from relying on developing their own squads to funding galacticos squads. They have been allowed to do this as the ruling body have been slow to instill quotas & their huge TV deal gives them access to funding. 

They still have quotas. They're just clever with them. Like Delon Armitage counting as a non foreign player etc.

Quote Many Aviva teams are now following that model and teams like Leicester who used to be packed with homegrown talent find themselves having to throw money at expensive overseas signings to keep pace with Wasps & Saracens. Despite the TV deal I see it ending in tears. Saracens debts appear to be unsustainable topping Β£40+ million.

It's only unsutainable if the debt is called on them. People just seem to not understand the way professional sports club operate.

Manchester Utd are HALF A BILLION pounds in debt. Are they unsustainable too?

Quote The RFU are a little two faced as they, on the one hand, refuse to consider anyone playing outside England while on the other hand rush to cap South Sea Islanders who have no more affinity to the Red Rose than being happy to pick up the 22k per match fee. The attempt by World Rugby to make the South Sea Islands professional rugby more sustainable locally is a long overdue initiative.

If there was a dramatic reduction in the availability of South Sea Island talent combined with strict residency rules - 7-10 years & a club like Saracens going bust then we may see some sense returning to our beloved game. 

Saracens aren't going to go bust in the next few years. And wishing them to, is a little bad taste to be honest.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:36pm
Hopefully we are seeing a change. New Zealand are certainly not gym monkeys and they play some of the best (the best?) Rugby I've ever seen in my 40 odd years of watching rugby. Scotland are going somewhere with smaller mute skillful players and the English backs are fairly small for sure. We will get there eventually as well! That said there still a lot of bosh being played but there always was by some teams
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Sad to say but if you put either of those teams against any but the very worst of modern day professional teams they'd lose. The difference in size, power and defensive organisation in 10 years is astounding and rugby is by far the worse for it.

Why are you bemoaning an improvement in standards?

Think about it, it's obvious...
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Sad to say but if you put either of those teams against any but the very worst of modern day professional teams they'd lose. The difference in size, power and defensive organisation in 10 years is astounding and rugby is by far the worse for it.

Why are you bemoaning an improvement in standards?
Who says there's been an improvement in standards? That's such a modern way of thinking which boils down to
Size x gym work - amount of mistakes = quality of the player.
Personally I see the bigger size of players and the emphasis on defence before attack making rugby a less enjoyable game to watch.
Bryn@man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:26pm

Anyway, what a game that was. 

Superb.. Thanks for posting up. 

What a night it was. Great decision from SG & co to keep the QF at Stradey and not to fully capitalise on half the population of Munster wanting tickets. Still can feel the goosebumps from the first rendition of Fields of Athenry through to final whistle. Really thought we had our name on the HC.... Haven't eaten Walkers crisps since...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic