Topic ClosedAny rumours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 41>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

would be an exceptional signing but i cant see us having the money to sign him even on an NDC. we dont have the money 

Surely the loss of Liam and DTH has released some capital?
Taken up by extensions/better contracts for Ken, Elias, Boyde, Dinky I would guess.
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 2:49pm
can only see us spending cheap and keeping our squad as it is. no money in the pot
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:15pm
As good as player he is I don't think we really need him got great stength in back row at 6 and 7 for the amount of games he would play surely we could afford a big Tongan or Samoan number 8 instead.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:41pm
there are no good tongan/samoans out there, if they were good they would be in the new zealand system. think we need to rely at best on a punt that pivac may know out in auckland/new zealand. but i honestly dont think we have any money to do this. the keeping of our youngsters will have eaten away at what money we have saved from liam/dth. players cost more and more these days and we dont have the investment coming in to match that (fair dues to the investors who are keeping us afloat).
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:33pm
The big 20st ball carrying 8s are beginning to be a thing of the past.
Players these days are that much stronger, bigger, better defer etc, those type of 8s have to be pretty damn special to go on those bull dozing runs.
Kieran Reed, to me, the finest 8 in world rugby. He is no bull dozing 8. An athletic player, intelligent, quick and skilful.
Billy Vunipola and Toby Faletau at the top of my head are those type of players but aren't exactly in our Price range.
Nick Williams, coming to the end. Ben Morgan I've not seen for a long time, he was one for a while but not sure how he's been since injury.
Ross Morriarity now out our range I'd have thought but jury out on whether he is a 6 or 8.

And then the lower down in quality we go, the less carriers there are.
We have adapted a game where we have become effective with 2 open sides and Shingler.
Josh Macleod is talked of being the next 8 and I think he will more than do the job.
He's not a "ball carrier" but he makes up for it with speed so gets over the gain line with that before power.
As mentioned also, the good south sea islanders are either in the system with all blacks or already earning big cash in France. I think it's time the forum move on from the "ball carrying 8" wishes as, we don't need a carrying 8, a carrying 6 would do to bolster the squad. Plus I feel they are rarer and have a few ££££s on them like tightheads a few years ago.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Players these days are that much stronger, bigger, better defer etc, those type of 8s have to be pretty damn special to go on those bull dozing runs.
Kieran Reed, to me, the finest 8 in world rugby. He is no bull dozing 8. An athletic player, intelligent, quick and skilful.
Billy Vunipola and Toby Faletau at the top of my head are those type of players but aren't exactly in our Price range.
Nick Williams, coming to the end. Ben Morgan I've not seen for a long time, he was one for a while but not sure how he's been since injury.
Ross Morriarity now out our range I'd have thought but jury out on whether he is a 6 or 8.

We have adapted a game where we have become effective with 2 open sides and Shingler.
Josh Macleod is talked of being the next 8 and I think he will more than do the job.
He's not a "ball carrier" but he makes up for it with speed so gets over the gain line with that before power.
As mentioned also, the good south sea islanders are either in the system with all blacks or already earning big cash in France. I think it's time the forum move on from the "ball carrying 8" wishes as, we don't need a carrying 8, a carrying 6 would do to bolster the squad. Plus I feel they are rarer and have a few ££££s on them like tightheads a few years ago.

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 5:52pm
Pete The Meat Edwards has signed to play for Merthyr next season. He did a terrific job for us locking out the right side of our scrum. His re-signing was met with a mixed response, but he proved a few people wrong and became one of our most important players while Samson was unavailable through long term injuries and international call ups. Diolch, Pete!
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:05pm
The Dragons game really demonstrated why we need more carrying power. We struggled to break the gain line for 65 mins against a poor team because they were committed and pressurised us in defence. Our tight game wasn't good enough to draw defenders in and retain possession.

I agree that we good get a good 6 or 8 to fulfil the function we need. Jean Deysel would be the dream, he's on a short term contract with Munster until the end of the season, is one of the best carriers in the SH I think and is mobile enough to play across the back 5 of the pack. Would add a lot of experience too. I will keep dreaming....!
ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:07pm

Excellent post. It's undeniable that our back row is a strong point and doing fine without any lumps. Our carriers can have other numbers than 8 on their back.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Think Ross Moriaty's price tag has recently risen! May be out of our reach now.

Not if he's on an NDC.

Ah, the sunny optimism of Pembrokeshire Wink
Hope you are correct (for us to sign him of course).  Only 23, tremendous potential.
Haven't seen much sun here lately. But I'm optimistic for tomorrow!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Has he spent to long On the 7s circuit and not enough on the 15s

A shame but he has not impressed in either facet of the game .
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 9:48am

Billy is a 20st bulldozer with skill
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 11:05am
It's very well saying that we need more carriers and it doesn't matter where in the pack they play, but 8s are uniquely placed  for scrums in the opposition 22 and a powerful 8 is very difficult to stop from a scrum 5 -positions we have often squandered and is possibly a reason why we have not had too many bonus points compared to other sides with carrying 8s.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

It's very well saying that we need more carriers and it doesn't matter where in the pack they play, but 8s are uniquely placed  for scrums in the opposition 22 and a powerful 8 is very difficult to stop from a scrum 5 -positions we have often squandered and is possibly a reason why we have not had too many bonus points compared to other sides with carrying 8s.
Ball carrying 8s and BPs....dont think theres much in that to be honest. 
We have the same amount of Try Bonus Points as Munster and have 1 more than Ulster....

Goes back to the points already made, the types of 8s that can get over the try line from 5m are getting rarer. When it comes to a scrum so close, these days, sides push the scrum over, look for penalty try or spread the ball. The pick up and score doesnt happen anywhere near as often these days.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 1:44pm

We have the same amount of Try Bonus Points as Munster and have 1 more than Ulster....

Goes back to the points already made, the types of 8s that can get over the try line from 5m are getting rarer. When it comes to a scrum so close, these days, sides push the scrum over, look for penalty try or spread the ball. The pick up and score doesnt happen anywhere near as often these days.
It's not so much about getting over the gain line. Defences are too solid for that these days. What a big ball carrier buys you is space, as the defence has to put 2 or 3 bodies in to stop him. It also creates options, instead of the defence being able to spread the field every time.

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

It's not so much about getting over the gain line. Defences are too solid for that these days. What a big ball carrier buys you is space, as the defence has to put 2 or 3 bodies in to stop him. It also creates options, instead of the defence being able to spread the field every time.

Im aware of what they offer but...I just dont see that many of them around anymore. 
Our pack does need another ball carrier but doesn't have to be an 8 imo. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 41>
  Share Topic