Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny rumours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 41>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:12pm
If western force go perhaps there young 8 will be worth looking at Ross petty. A 8 and 23 years old, anyone know about him
Sponsored Links

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:33pm
Planetrugby has done an article on our much improved defence this season:

Edit: Aaaaaand, this was not meant to be here...

Edited by Exkixu - 17 May 2017 at 3:40pm
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

All reasonable points. However I would argue the following :-

1. Tom - behind a number of quality operators at 6. Needs more development time.
2. Price - has the size & has started to add bulk. Has improved & if he continues the improvement will be a good squad player.
3. Steph will not be the first player to come off worse in direct comparison with Beck. The question needs to be does he deserve his place in our extended squad. Come International time he has shown up well in my opinion & is well deserving of his place. 

We are all waiting patiently for Condy to get fit enough/injury free to be able to take his place in our back row first team squad. His development has stalled this season compared to Boyde & Josh who have excelled.

I'd agree with these points... we do have a number of 6s who at present are in front of Tom P, but what if they get called up for internationals and/or get injured? Tom is a very solid player, young (so with any luck has yet to reach his peak) and local - plus, presumably does not cost a fortune.

Price is a useful lineout operator who has already proved very good (in Charteris mode) at frustrating opposition maul plays. Jake will pretty certainly be with Wales for many weeks next season.

Steff Hughes is a Carwyn James style player, IMO - a thinker who rarely takes bad decisions. No, he's not the fastest, or the most powerful - but a canny operator, a bit like a slightly smaller Parkes. The Scarlets are not funded by Bodjellal or his ilk, and so can't afford to stuff the squad with global superstars. The coaches know these players, and so presumably trust them - that's good enough for me.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Reverend Brown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

All reasonable points. However I would argue the following :-

1. Tom - behind a number of quality operators at 6. Needs more development time.
2. Price - has the size & has started to add bulk. Has improved & if he continues the improvement will be a good squad player.
3. Steph will not be the first player to come off worse in direct comparison with Beck. The question needs to be does he deserve his place in our extended squad. Come International time he has shown up well in my opinion & is well deserving of his place. 

We are all waiting patiently for Condy to get fit enough/injury free to be able to take his place in our back row first team squad. His development has stalled this season compared to Boyde & Josh who have excelled.

I'd agree with these points... we do have a number of 6s who at present are in front of Tom P, but what if they get called up for internationals and/or get injured? Tom is a very solid player, young (so with any luck has yet to reach his peak) and local - plus, presumably does not cost a fortune.

Price is a useful lineout operator who has already proved very good (in Charteris mode) at frustrating opposition maul plays. Jake will pretty certainly be with Wales for many weeks next season.

Steff Hughes is a Carwyn James style player, IMO - a thinker who rarely takes bad decisions. No, he's not the fastest, or the most powerful - but a canny operator, a bit like a slightly smaller Parkes. The Scarlets are not funded by Bodjellal or his ilk, and so can't afford to stuff the squad with global superstars. The coaches know these players, and so presumably trust them - that's good enough for me.

I am happy to agree with these points but I feel that my original point has been slightly misunderstood.

Yes, I completely agree that we have a limited budget and cannot afford 25 internationals in our squad like Toulon, Racing, Saracens or Montpellier and this is the exact reason why we need to be ultra careful when handing out our precious contract money.

We should be looking to retain our core group of first team players and the other spots in our squad should be reserved for younger players who are the first team of the future.

Macleod, Elias, Wyn Jones & Boyde have all shown that they have the potential to be in the first team within a season (or even now) so these are the boys who should get contracts and come into the team when we have injuries/international call ups.

Phillips, Price & Hughes have all had opportunities and have not shown the same promise or potential so it might not be wise to tie them down long term as we do not have the budget to carry players who are not going to make it.

This is the harsh reality of professional sport and becomes even more important when cash is tight.

As I said previously, I am hoping to be proved wrong on this and would love to see young players looking good enough for the first team on long contracts.

For me, Macleod, Elias, Wyn Jones & Boyde fit this criteria but, as yet, Phillips, Price & Hughes do not.

I appreciate that they are all young but the likes of Rob Evans, Samson, Ball, Foxy, Scott & Sanjay were all in the first team at that age and performing regularly.

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

I have no issue with a 2-year deal for Phillips, Price & Hughes but, after that, if they are not good enough to start, they need to go and we start looking again.

With our budget, we need to be finding the next Scott/Foxy/Sanjay and not the next Gareth Maule/Owen.
If loving the lord is wrong, I don't wanna be right!!!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:52am
Rev. Have you any names or suggestions for bringing into the squad INSTEAD of the 3 young players that you don't think will make it. Don't you think Pivac  would have signed them if they were available (at a reasonable price)?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:03am
Rev our circumstances dictate that we have a number of genuine 1st team squad players filled out by other lesser players. The success Pivac has achieved is in making more of the lesser players into genuine 1st team players. Where in previous years we may have had 25/26 genuine 1st teamers we now have 33/34. I would point to the success we achieve during International windows as proof of this. When all teams in the pro 12 are without their Internationals we are in the top 2/3 performers.

As for finding the next Scott/Foxy/Sanjay that is certainly our objective - all are very fine players who would grace any team in Europe. I have great hope for Corey, Ioan & Ryan to name but 3. Some players Bernardo, Morgan Allen & Smith have been punts which have had to be let go. That is the position we find ourselves in.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:15am
Price is a genuine first team player- that he isnt in the 23 tonight reflects that we now have good lock cadre; we can select according to the opposition's perceived strengths and weaknesses. If we win tonight, he may well be in the team for the final because Munster do like to play it hard up front at times. The first time we ever(?) managed to defend a 5 metre line out maul was in Glasgow at the start of last season- also Price's first game for us. And he is becoming quite useful in open play- two tries this spring, in the second of which he did well to get on the end of a Parkes break.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Planetrugby has done an article on our much improved defence this season:

Edit: Aaaaaand, this was not meant to be here...
Nice article
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Reverend Brown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Rev. Have you any names or suggestions for bringing into the squad INSTEAD of the 3 young players that you don't think will make it. Don't you think Pivac  would have signed them if they were available (at a reasonable price)?

I am not saying that they should not be in the squad and I have stated that I am happy with them being on short term contracts (up to 2 years) but they are all in the "danger zone" as far as I am concerned based on their performances in the first team thus far.

With Stefan Hughes, I agree with the comments aber-fan in terms of his thinking & distribution skills which is why I feel he is far more suited to playing 12 rather than 13 where his lack of real speed leaves him lacking in terms of the high tempo game that we play.

Having him as a 2nd playmaker in the back line rather than an ineffective attack runner could be the difference in him making the step up.

For somebody the size of Tom Price, he really should be having a much bigger effect on the games that he plays in.  He has come down from Leicester and I am sure that they taught (or at least tried to) about the importance of being a physical presence across the park but he just does not seem to get involved in the matches apart from the "octopus trick" of reaching over opposition mauls to disrupt their drive but, in all honesty, he is not that even that effective at doing that.

Phillips showed some early promise but seems to have stalled and has now fallen behind Boyde, Macleod & (when fit) Condy.  He plays regularly for the semi pro team so I do not think that his injuries have been too much of a problem but he & the coaches needs to decide if he is going to play at 6 or 7 so that he can concentrate on the specific aspects of each position and then have a real go at progressing further in his chosen position.

My only issue was that, when I questioned their development in my first post, others were saying that they were "decent players" and "ok for when the internationals are away" but I just think that we should be setting their standards higher than that otherwise, when Scott, Foxy, Shingler etc move on, we will be left with players who can only cope with games during the international periods as they are not good enough when put up against the first choice players from other teams.

As I said previously, the likes of Scott/Foxy/Rob Evans/Shingler/Ball were all playing every week for the first team and looking good against teams with full internationals when they were the same age (or younger) as Phillips/Hughes/Price.

If we bring through average youngsters, we will end up with an average first team.

If loving the lord is wrong, I don't wanna be right!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:55pm
I sort of see where you're coming from - it's certainly true that players you name need to show in the medium term that they deserve to be kept on, rather than some up-and-coming thrusters, whoever they may be.

Where we may differ is that, at the moment, these players seem to be the best that the Scarlets can afford... and it is also (I think) part of the culture to develop our own players as far as possible... bring in someone from outside, and you may be in for some nasty shocks with regard to personality or off-the-field behaviour. The Scarlets do, indeed, take a few punts which don't always come off (Bernardo, Allen etc. - not referring to off field behaviour here, but lack of progress on it) but by keeping players such as Price and Hughes they are ensuring that, whatever happens, they have tidy players to cover key positions - and as they are young, players who may well improve. The coaches know what they are worth, and I doubt that anyone not working hard and showing at least some promise would be retained.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:16pm
Well dont tell anyone but I've heard they aint put their bin bags out for a fortnight and the landlord isnt happy either...hes upping the rent hoping theyll move out...more gossip later
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Reverend Brown Reverend Brown wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I am not saying that they should not be in the squad and I have stated that I am happy with them being on short term contracts (up to 2 years) but they are all in the "danger zone" as far as I am concerned based on their performances in the first team thus far.

With Stefan Hughes, I agree with the comments aber-fan in terms of his thinking & distribution skills which is why I feel he is far more suited to playing 12 rather than 13 where his lack of real speed leaves him lacking in terms of the high tempo game that we play.

Having him as a 2nd playmaker in the back line rather than an ineffective attack runner could be the difference in him making the step up.

For somebody the size of Tom Price, he really should be having a much bigger effect on the games that he plays in.  He has come down from Leicester and I am sure that they taught (or at least tried to) about the importance of being a physical presence across the park but he just does not seem to get involved in the matches apart from the "octopus trick" of reaching over opposition mauls to disrupt their drive but, in all honesty, he is not that even that effective at doing that.

Yes he is. Hes not perfect at it, but is good. That part of his game is developing nicely. His defense is good. His physicality is something to be worked on...he knows this. 

He's never let us down when playing. Has disrupted quite a number of mauls too. So this part of your argument I can not agree with. At only 22, he's a very good prospect. The youngest of our locks. Hes more than deserved another contract with us in my opinion, I wouldn't say he's in a "Danger Zone". 

Phillips showed some early promise but seems to have stalled and has now fallen behind Boyde, Macleod & (when fit) Condy.  He plays regularly for the semi pro team so I do not think that his injuries have been too much of a problem but he & the coaches needs to decide if he is going to play at 6 or 7 so that he can concentrate on the specific aspects of each position and then have a real go at progressing further in his chosen position.

My only issue was that, when I questioned their development in my first post, others were saying that they were "decent players" and "ok for when the internationals are away" but I just think that we should be setting their standards higher than that otherwise, when Scott, Foxy, Shingler etc move on, we will be left with players who can only cope with games during the international periods as they are not good enough when put up against the first choice players from other teams.

As I said previously, the likes of Scott/Foxy/Rob Evans/Shingler/Ball were all playing every week for the first team and looking good against teams with full internationals when they were the same age (or younger) as Phillips/Hughes/Price.

If we bring through average youngsters, we will end up with an average first team.

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:39pm
One issue with SF which annoys me is the way we go off the original subject. It happens time and time again.

I respect the points made by so many, but in all honesty it has nothing to do with Heading which in this case--- rumours.

We have re-signed the players, therefore it is fact not  Any rumours.

Sorry gents but I do feel if one feels strongly about an issue, then start a new threat.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

haven't got any names but 2 irish players are arriving this week

Any news or has it gone quiet
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:57pm
Not a rumour but I'd love phil dollman down here
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:17pm
Just been drafted in to the Wales squad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 41>
  Share Topic