Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bloody Cardiff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloody Cardiff
    Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:18pm
A Cardiff Blues director has today said, that Wales can only sustain 2 regions which should be based in Swansea and Cardiff.
I can feel his bitterness towards Llanelli, just because of the fact the Scarlets can produce players and not need to either sign over the hill NWQ players or ruin welsh youngsters like Cardiff have for years.
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:36pm
You have to believe that the timing of these comments was deliberate. That being the case, why?

Hate the politics of Welsh rugby and the role the welsh media play in it.

However, **ck em. Going to Cardiff tomorrow to support my team. Whatever these numpties dream up, its the Scarlets for me, end of, for ever!
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:31pm
I can't get over the audacity to use the Scottish teams as examples! Glasgow have only recently become competetive, Edinburgh are a shambles. They may have an extra million or two over and above Cardiff in their budgets yet look at the table and see where little old Sosban is ... with a budget that is presumably smaller than Cardiff's! That's not to mention how dire Scotland have been with just the two pro sides and how little they bring to the table in TV money. Are they really suggesting we copy the Scottish model?

Frankly, I'm sick to death of the way Welsh rugby cuts it's own throat. It seems there was only fleeting unity between the regions and only to face down Rodger the Dodger. Now that battle's been won they want to throw the towel in ... except not theirs - OURS! That is the inference. Yet look at how we've done compared to them over the last 15 years and you'd say we are by far and away the better run region.

Frankly let them fold if it really is that bad (I doubt it is for Cardiff - this feels like brinksmanship to me) and replace them with a team free of the politics of Cardiff RFC/Athletic club and the Pieman et al. It would be an opportunity to re-enfranchise the valleys and get their academy working properly.

I do feel for rugby fans down east tright now. The Dragons and Blues are flippin useless and have been for a long time.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

I can't get over the audacity to use the Scottish teams as examples! Glasgow have only recently become competetive, Edinburgh are a shambles. They may have an extra million or two over and above Cardiff in their budgets yet look at the table and see where little old Sosban is ... with a budget that is presumably smaller than Cardiff's! That's not to mention how dire Scotland have been with just the two pro sides and how little they bring to the table in TV money. Are they really suggesting we copy the Scottish model?

Frankly, I'm sick to death of the way Welsh rugby cuts it's own throat. It seems there was only fleeting unity between the regions and only to face down Rodger the Dodger. Now that battle's been won they want to throw the towel in ... except not theirs - OURS! That is the inference. Yet look at how we've done compared to them over the last 15 years and you'd say we are by far and away the better run region.

Frankly let them fold if it really is that bad (I doubt it is for Cardiff - this feels like brinksmanship to me) and replace them with a team free of the politics of Cardiff RFC/Athletic club and the Pieman et al. It would be an opportunity to re-enfranchise the valleys and get their academy working properly.

I do feel for rugby fans down east tright now. The Dragons and Blues are flippin useless and have been for a long time.

+1
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 11:08pm
Gareth Davies said recently that they want 4 regions. Beginning to doubt his words there. All the noise re 2 regions eminates from Cardiff. Is this what the WRU want? It certainly was when Roger was there.

What a choice Newport face, once the WRU own them their toast arent they? and there's the ready made East region. Then they send all the NDC's east until they starve the west into submission and who's next for the takeover?

Then in recent times the Wales Online are all over these 2 region stories like a rash. Even on the eve of Judgement Day they show their colours by reporting and commenting on it when any decision, in any regard can only be made when the current agreement expires.

There's a stench to all this. Dont like it.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 11:56pm
The Blues have massive redevelopment plans for the Arms Park, (not that I've heard any of their supporters expressing the need for any change), but land in the centre of Cardiff is at a premium and someone thinks they can make a pretty penny from it, and if this can only be achieved for a south-east Wales side, then tough poo for any fans supporting regions/clubs outside Cardiff.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 12:41am
As long as the under thanked, under appreciated and undervalued people that are our benefactors are still willing to put their hands in their pockets for us year after year, there will be a Scarlets.
In fact I'm pretty ashamed to say I couldn't name everyone who puts forward pretty substantial chunks of their own money to keep pro money in Llanelli.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 12:53am
As I said in the Wales Online article itself:

Wales needs four regions to cover the main rugby heartlands (Gwent, Cardiff/Glamorgan Valleys, Swansea Bay and Carmarthenshire).  Rugby is the national sport here, while player numbers are comparable to Ireland's and much bigger than Scotland's.
Wales needs four regions to cover the main rugby heartlands (Gwent, Cardiff/Glamorgan Valleys, Swansea Bay and Carmarthenshire).  Rugby is the national sport here, while player numbers are similar to Ireland's and much bigger than Scotland's.

Wales needs four regions to cover the main rugby heartlands (Gwent, Cardiff/Glamorgan Valleys, Swansea Bay and Carmarthenshire).  Rugby is the national sport here, while player numbers are similar to Ireland's and much bigger than Scotland's.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 4:52am
The WRU need the 4 regions to also maintain its funding from various comps and of course to create/maintain the NDC platform ...

As for the SRU model,it's failing, despite having £20m to distribute over the Admin and 2 teams..their Board passed a motion late last year to allow additional ' private funding' to be pumped in to the Union.

No team in the latter stages of any cup and no play offs this season adds to the issue.

Until the WRU, the PRW and the regions divorce themselves from being a hybrid of multiple entity antitrust disciples or stand alone entities and become one or the other we will always have mud slinging from various individuals snared in the vacuum that causes..pointless and annoying as it is.

(I'm not advocating either model by the way, but to utilise both frameworks randomly together is borderline negligent).

Edited by Wil Chips - 15 April 2017 at 5:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic