Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AWJ and the Blues game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

I don't condone this, but it really has to be said that AWJ is much more essential for the Ospreys than any Scarlet is for the Scarlets.  (Not even Liam Williams comes close).

It just shows that a team shouldn't be built around one player.

I agree.
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 7:43pm
Thornton, King, baker and dual contracts. Smith, Baldwin, Davies, tipuric regular internationals. Shows how poor they are without AWJ. Those DC's make a mockery of the system. Yesterday proved that. If they're the future..... we're f***ed.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Thornton, King, baker and dual contracts. Smith, Baldwin, Davies, tipuric regular internationals. Shows how poor they are without AWJ. Those DC's make a mockery of the system. Yesterday proved that. If they're the future..... we're f***ed.
I don't see much in Thornton, not sure why there's so much fuss over him
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I don't see much in Thornton, not sure why there's so much fuss over him

I never have done either. Same for king and baker. Decent club players but nowhere near international quality. Same with smith. His weaknesses were shown up in this years 6 nations.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:03am
Their players are overhyped and have an attitude problem, that was reflected in AWJ actions, in contrast Warburton would have been on the pitch telling his players to pick their heads up and get back in the game had it been the other way around.
Also I cant see Keelan Giles making it he is not physical enough, reminds me of that Iongi we signed the other year, just quick and offers nothing else.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 3:31am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Their players are overhyped and have an attitude problem, that was reflected in AWJ actions, in contrast Warburton would have been on the pitch telling his players to pick their heads up and get back in the game had it been the other way around.
Also I cant see Keelan Giles making it he is not physical enough, reminds me of that Iongi we signed the other year, just quick and offers nothing else.

(1) Before the Treviso fiasco, people in this very forum were incredibly envious towards the Ospreys and their (relative) success.

(2) Keelan is still young and needs to develop his game and bulk up a little.  Nevertheless, the same was once upon a time true of a certain Shane Williams...
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 5:46am
1) Completely different point.
AWJ actions were outside his remit, and set a very poor example as the club and country captain,and Lions captaincy candidate. Plain for all to see in recent weeks that he has a truculent and churlish streak that stands him apart from the likes of Warburton. You have to be a leader on and off the field these days. Some of his media dealings are borderline childish at times. Tremendous guy to have in your team, and be captain on the pitch however.

2)
I think Keelan demonstrated what all small guys have to have, heart. He doesn't have the frame to stop big guys, but he got stuck in. That augers very well for him. Harry Robinson was a great example of a smallish guy with a big heart for us.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 9:47am
I have been disappointed with AWJ's antics I have to say - he and Biggar do not do themselves any favours behaving the way they do. Dare I say it - may well cost him the Lions captaincy. We all want aggressive & focused leaders but there is a line & Biggar & more recently AWJ have crossed that line. 

I have been one of Keelan's biggest critics when the groundswell came during the autumn for him to be capped. I still believe it is far too soon. He has real pace and an eye for line. He will, I am sure, improve his defensive abilities & then he may well become a future International. I would take Cuthbert, Amos, Steff & Josh Adams before him this summer for instance.

As for Nicky Smith he has had a difficult season. His recent games have shown him to be underpowered in the tight. He has in fairness come up against some decent TH's in Slimani & Furlong!!!! He paled in comparison to Gethin on Saturday. The Ospreys should bite the bullet & start Rhodri at LH for the final two games. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:27am
Unacceptable from AWJ.
Had no right whatsoever to try's and influence the referee in any way.
He was a water boy for the day, not a player, and certainly not the captain.
If anyone should have been speaking with him it should have been Webb and nobody else.

Very surprised by AWJ actions.
Also nuggets comments when it was shown on TV: "good to see".

If that was a grass roots rugby match, a club would have been pulled in for a hearing and landed with a hefty fine. This should be treated no different.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:48am
I don't know but there is something about this topic I guess that is quite typical of SF I suppose. If this had been one of our "legends" then I guess the reactions would have been different (dons Tin Hat and waits for barrage of outrage) but my view is probably different to most.

He's a guy who bleeds and would possibly die for his club and country and as such things like this matter. I'd have him over here any day of the week.

Move on...soft news and over blown hypocritical faux outrage. Wink
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

I don't know but there is something about this topic I guess that is quite typical of SF I suppose. If this had been one of our "legends" then I guess the reactions would have been different (dons Tin Hat and waits for barrage of outrage) but my view is probably different to most.

He's a guy who bleeds and would possibly die for his club and country and as such things like this matter. I'd have him over here any day of the week.

I don't think any of us would not have him in our squad but that is not the point surely. The game doesn't need antics like AWJ & Biggar. There are proper channels i.e. captain to ref - full stop. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 11:38am
If an announcement was made that AWJ was joining us next season 99% of us would be in rapture as we all know what he would bring. He is difficult,challenging, bloody minded and on top of that a great second row and leader. 👍
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I don't think any of us would not have him in our squad but that is not the point surely. The game doesn't need antics like AWJ & Biggar. There are proper channels i.e. captain to ref - full stop. 

The point is...if it was one of ours we wouldn't all be jumping up and down foaming at the mouth over it. So the guy's passionate and feisty for his cause, good for him. One minute we're all getting on Kens back because he doesn't talk to the Ref enough and now this...non story....(I think the phrase used here is...."end of" Wink)

Edited by sgsmorgan - 17 April 2017 at 11:41am
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:02pm

Suppose it's worth raising a question over the judgement of the Welsh coaches as well as the wru management. 6 of that ospreys pack have been on or are still on ndc's, and it could have been 7 if they started Rhodri.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:19pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The point is...if it was one of ours we wouldn't all be jumping up and down foaming at the mouth over it. So the guy's passionate and feisty for his cause, good for him. One minute we're all getting on Kens back because he doesn't talk to the Ref enough and now this...non story....(I think the phrase used here is...."end of" Wink)

The story is AWJ's conduct. The manner in which players address the officials is important. Usually through the captain (matchday not the waterboy!) and in a respectful manner. Not in an angry confrontational manner. On the Ken matter the criticism is that he doesn't raise specific opposition tactics which are arguably illegal and may have gone unnoticed. That is not the same behaviour as exhibited by AWJ or Dan Biggar for that matter. That I would describe as harrying the ref, sometimes aggressively. That is what is unacceptable ... just like Cubby's now infamous gesture was.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:25pm
A word of praise for the Blues. They are playing better rugby now than any of the other Welsh Regions and I fancy they would have done a similar job on us on Saturday had we been facing them instead of the Ospreys. They have exciting backs, a very mobile pack with an outstanding back row, and bags of experience and nous in the front row. If I wasn't a die hard Scarlet I could become a Blue.
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic