Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AWJ and the Blues game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formerly Pemberton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:28pm
I think a lot of the comments on this thread are missing the point. Referees at a lower level of rugby have the power to have players banned using disciplinary commitees for that kind of behaviour (not that he was playing), as these commitees almost always back the referee, I just think that rugby would be doing itself a disservice by having double standards of player conduct between the professional and Amateur games. Poor conduct has trickled down from Professional to Amateur football we don't want to spoil our sport.
Sponsored Links

sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I don't know but there is something about this topic I guess that is quite typical of SF I suppose. If this had been one of our "legends" then I guess the reactions would have been different (dons Tin Hat and waits for barrage of outrage) but my view is probably different to most.

He's a guy who bleeds and would possibly die for his club and country and as such things like this matter. I'd have him over here any day of the week.

Move on...soft news and over blown hypocritical faux outrage. Wink

I don't think any of us would not have him in our squad but that is not the point surely. The game doesn't need antics like AWJ & Biggar. There are proper channels i.e. captain to ref - full stop. 

The point is...if it was one of ours we wouldn't all be jumping up and down foaming at the mouth over it. So the guy's passionate and feisty for his cause, good for him. One minute we're all getting on Kens back because he doesn't talk to the Ref enough and now this...non story....(I think the phrase used here is...."end of" Wink)

The story is AWJ's conduct. The manner in which players address the officials is important. Usually through the captain (matchday not the waterboy!) and in a respectful manner. Not in an angry confrontational manner. On the Ken matter the criticism is that he doesn't raise specific opposition tactics which are arguably illegal and may have gone unnoticed. That is not the same behaviour as exhibited by AWJ or Dan Biggar for that matter. That I would describe as harrying the ref, sometimes aggressively. That is what is unacceptable ... just like Cubby's now infamous gesture was.

We're all losing the plot here.....these players are asked to go out there, get involved and win...not asking them to behave like Boy Scouts.

Give me a team full of guys who care about what goes on. Cubby's now infamous gesture was another example of faux outrage. What do we want in this game...run by wimps who play nicely, do the right things shake hands and then...get the bejeezus beaten out of them and lose on a regular basis.

I'm fed up of sitting back getting the other side of the face slapped and being a nice guy. [beep] that lets just win and worry about the cr@p afterwards.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:36pm

these players are asked to go out there, get involved and win...

Not when they're water carriers though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

I don't know but there is something about this topic I guess that is quite typical of SF I suppose. If this had been one of our "legends" then I guess the reactions would have been different (dons Tin Hat and waits for barrage of outrage) but my view is probably different to most.

He's a guy who bleeds and would possibly die for his club and country and as such things like this matter. I'd have him over here any day of the week.

Move on...soft news and over blown hypocritical faux outrage. Wink

I don't think any of us would not have him in our squad but that is not the point surely. The game doesn't need antics like AWJ & Biggar. There are proper channels i.e. captain to ref - full stop. 

The point is...if it was one of ours we wouldn't all be jumping up and down foaming at the mouth over it. So the guy's passionate and feisty for his cause, good for him. One minute we're all getting on Kens back because he doesn't talk to the Ref enough and now this...non story....(I think the phrase used here is...."end of" Wink)

The story is AWJ's conduct. The manner in which players address the officials is important. Usually through the captain (matchday not the waterboy!) and in a respectful manner. Not in an angry confrontational manner. On the Ken matter the criticism is that he doesn't raise specific opposition tactics which are arguably illegal and may have gone unnoticed. That is not the same behaviour as exhibited by AWJ or Dan Biggar for that matter. That I would describe as harrying the ref, sometimes aggressively. That is what is unacceptable ... just like Cubby's now infamous gesture was.

We're all losing the plot here.....these players are asked to go out there, get involved and win...not asking them to behave like Boy Scouts.

Give me a team full of guys who care about what goes on. Cubby's now infamous gesture was another example of faux outrage. What do we want in this game...run by wimps who play nicely, do the right things shake hands and then...get the bejeezus beaten out of them and lose on a regular basis.

I'm fed up of sitting back getting the other side of the face slapped and being a nice guy. [beep] that lets just win and worry about the cr@p afterwards.

Sorry, I totally disagree with the tone of your post. I've never equated decent behaviour with being a wimp. Biggar and lately AWJ have behaved very poorly towards refs. I wouldn't describe it as competitive. I'd describe it as sore losers and churlish. I'd describe Cubby's gesture as foolish. Sure, we all question ref's decisions and sometimes find their performance questionable. However there is a time and a place for dealing with that. On the pitch players need to be showing respect for the officials and focusing on being competitive by effectively dealing with their opponents i.e the other team!

It's a complete fallacy to equate dignified conduct with being a wimp. They say do your talking on the pitch. As far as I'm concerned that means outplaying the opposition and not being a tt to the ref.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:44pm
Biggar hounding a ref after a game won't change the result so not sure how that equates to some sort of winning mentality.

On the field cubby has been reprimanded for behaviour, brad also got reprimanded for behaviour off the field.

Not sure why biggar and awj are exceptions.

Edited by Gate12 - 17 April 2017 at 12:46pm
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

A word of praise for the Blues. They are playing better rugby now than any of the other Welsh Regions and I fancy they would have done a similar job on us on Saturday had we been facing them instead of the Ospreys. They have exciting backs, a very mobile pack with an outstanding back row, and bags of experience and nous in the front row. If I wasn't a die hard Scarlet I could become a Blue.

Potentially they are a very good squad, but they are very inconsistent and ill managed to the point where they haven't even qualified for the Champions Cup since the rule changes were introduced. And no, the Scarlets defence if not their attack would have been less feeble against the Blues than that of the Ospreys. The performances in specific matches notwithstanding, it is the Scarlets who are now Welsh rugby's shining light, especially when one considers their lack of size and arguably wealth compared to the Ospreys and Blues respective catchment areas.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 3:19pm
There is an undercurrent at the Opsreys of arrogant rude and petulant behaviour typified by three of twice bigger stars Biggar AWJ and Webb. They might be the greatest blokes in the world in private but their public persona at the moment is not a good example to yoyngsters.
Hardly surprising though when the Welsh defence coach is lauded in the Welsh press and by past intls for his rude behaviour to press and others.
Manners maketh man and cost nothing.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

There is an undercurrent at the Opsreys of arrogant rude and petulant behaviour typified by three of twice bigger stars Biggar AWJ and Webb. They might be the greatest blokes in the world in private but their public persona at the moment is not a good example to yoyngsters.
Hardly surprising though when the Welsh defence coach is lauded in the Welsh press and by past intls for his rude behaviour to press and others.
Manners maketh man and cost nothing.

AWJ has always been curt with the media even at the best of times, and has even publicly said he hates journalists. All the same, the three players you mention are still far more amicable than the likes of Dylan Hartley, Chris Ashton, Joe Marler, and arguably even Owen Farrell.

Edited by najbritcol - 17 April 2017 at 4:22pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:18pm
Dan has on field issues with restrainined response. Great player, irritating habit.
AWJ has great on field leadership attributes but limited tolerance for other captaincy duties.
Rhys is just feisty.

The English players mentioned are just panto villains with on field discipline records to match. Except Farrell, no idea why he is there, class.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Dan has on field issues with restrainined response. Great player, irritating habit.
AWJ has great on field leadership attributes but limited tolerance for other captaincy duties.
Rhys is just feisty.

The English players mentioned are just panto villains with on field discipline records to match. Except Farrell, no idea why he is there, class.

Farrell also often whinges to referees and is moreover much grumpier than Biggar. Good player for sure, just not such an endearing personality.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Rhys is just feisty.

Farrell also often whinges to referees and is moreover much grumpier than Biggar. Good player for sure, just not such an endearing personality.

Give me Farrell over Biggar any day of the week - as a player & conduct wise. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 5:18pm
I'm afraid Biggar is way out on his own for fails of on field restraint. I can't actually recall anyone coming close, maybe Sean Fitzpatrick...then again he was at least entitled to address the officials.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Sorry but it's shocking behaviour. If he was just a member of the O's match day team it would look bad enough, very "football behaviour", but to have that from the Welsh Captain was embarrassing to watch.
He's supposed to be an example to youngsters, not following the ref around to forcefully influence him then nearly fighting with the other team.

Agree 100%. I did comment on this in another thread, but surprisingly no-one answered, there (as far as I know) - probably regarded as too tangential!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Sorry but it's shocking behaviour. If he was just a member of the O's match day team it would look bad enough, very "football behaviour", but to have that from the Welsh Captain was embarrassing to watch.
He's supposed to be an example to youngsters, not following the ref around to forcefully influence him then nearly fighting with the other team.

Agree 100%. I did comment on this in another thread, but surprisingly no-one answered, there (as far as I know) - probably regarded as too tangential!

I did notice your comment on this issue Aber. However I was so incensed by AWJ's behaviour that I thought that the matter deserved a thread of its own. 

As you've probably noticed, on here a thread can easily be side tracked on to another matter and the original topic of the thread can get ignored and/or glossed over.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Rhys is just feisty.

Give me Farrell over Biggar any day of the week - as a player & conduct wise. 
Apart from sometimes cheap and late hits. Nasty streak to the guy.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:35pm
Biggar is an embarrassment Farrell is class keeps getting hit time after time and gets on with game never seen him behave as childishly as Biggar.
Biggar might be great bloke off pitch but a disgrace on it if my ten year old behaved like him I would take him off
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic