Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > B&I Lions 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

B&I Lions squad announcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:23pm
must admit Im more excited by wales summer tour where finally we can blood some new players away from the gatland stranglehold too. mixed with a few experienced heads from the likes of ...steff evans, tyler morgan, hanno dirksen, keelan giles, ashton hewitt, cory allen, dafydd howells, matt morgan, patchell as a fly half please, sam davies, rory thornton, cawdor, rhodri williams, ashley beck, elias, jones, boyde, cubby, ellis jenkins, macauley cook, kristian dacey ,  dan baker, brad davies, ball etc
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Congrats to our boys & everyone selected. Scott & Rob will be on the reserve list I am sure. Call me old fashioned but I think everyone selected should at least hold a British or Irish passport. Biggar & Halfpenny very lucky in my opinion. I would also have gone for Rob ahead of Marler & Launchbury instead of Lawes. My passport ruling would also have freed up three spaces by my calculation.

Which players haven't got British / Irish passports?

By my calculation - Teo, Stander & Payne. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:42pm

Congrats to our boys & everyone selected. Scott & Rob will be on the reserve list I am sure. Call me old fashioned but I think everyone selected should at least hold a British or Irish passport. Biggar & Halfpenny very lucky in my opinion. I would also have gone for Rob ahead of Marler & Launchbury instead of Lawes. My passport ruling would also have freed up three spaces by my calculation.

Seems a strange cut off point - to be eligible to play for a nation but not another team. I think if they're playing test rugby then the Lions shouldn't be so precious to not pick some players based on a technicality.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:47pm
Bigger is one lucky guy, halfpenny too. Outside of those I can't see why there is an outcry over the Welsh players selected. Owens has been the form hooker of pretty much every round of the 6n however the media keep quoting him and hartley as the battle for third choice. Hope he starts.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I can't see why there is an outcry over the Welsh players selected. Owens has been the form hooker of pretty much every round of the 6n however the media keep quoting him and hartley as the battle for third choice. Hope he starts.

Agreed. I really don't get why the media and doom-mongers are focusing on Ken Owens being selected over Hartley, when England's 2nd choice hooker Jamie George has also been selected over Hartley.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:08pm
I'm a bit miffed a only a few selections:
Biggar - Teo - Kruis. 

Ross Morriarity was a surprise though. 
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:33pm
Was initially surprised by Moriaty's inclusion but he's the up and coming player who is certainly on a roll. Didn't think Rob Evans had a chance but having reviewed my opinion over the last month and I think it's a mistake not to take him. New Zealand will be technically and tactically fantastic but also supremely fit. Robs got a great engine and great ball handling skills. He would be a better fit than Marler.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

On supporters tours.

I honestly feel the tour is to early for Rob, he needs to gain more experiance at test level, where he has suffered a wee bit

Don't agree - Rob showed up well, and was part of a Wales front row that destroyed Ireland. Compared to Sinckler, he's a positive veteran - apply that argument to TH prop, and Francis should have gone. (We all know Samson needs to get his leg right before next season.)

Apart from that one selection, I don't have too many complaints - I suppose Ford and Russell can consider themselves unlucky compared to Biggar, but they are defensively weaker, so... As always, a few choices will be controversial here and there.
They didn't destroy them this year, they just had parity which was an excellent achievement in itself

My recollection is somewhat different - I have a clear impression that Wales got on top in the forwards (including the scrum) which led to the victory. However, as I have deleted my recording I can't check. Maybe it's just down to different perceptions of how we won.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:37pm

Seems a strange cut off point - to be eligible to play for a nation but not another team. I think if they're playing test rugby then the Lions shouldn't be so precious to not pick some players based on a technicality.

I did say I was probably being old fashioned. My grouse is with rugby mercanaries - I have no problem with players moving to play in any country they wish - its their career but please you represent SA & NZ at age grade & then the British & Irish Lions 3/4 years later???? What is that all about????
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

Congratulations to Ken, Jon and Liam as well deserved but really feel for Scott, hopefully his time will come as he's only 26 and Jon has been selected and he's 29!

Whereas Foxy's form has been on an upward curve of late, Scott seems to have gone into his shell a little bit in the last few weeks - a pity, but there it is. He may yet get called up if there are the usual injuries.

Hope you're right as Scott has the talent, Simon Easterby was brilliant when he was called up because of injuries so hopefully Scott will have his chance!
Revealing comments from Gatland: "We’ll talk about stand by players.

We’ve spoken to some of the coaches in terms of Wales will be in New Zealand playing Tonga, so there’s players available to us that aren’t too far away."

I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:59am
Rob very unlucky as was Jake he was one of best 2nd rows in 6 nations certainly better than Lawes AWJ picked on reputation he not been so good this year really chuffed for Ken Scarlet through and through.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
geordie scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geordie scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 3:20pm
Well done to all from the Scarlets who are in the squad
Genuinely thought that Rob Evs, Scott and Jake, may have made it. Plenty of very tough rugby to be played before the tour and genuinely think that the picked squad won't be the one that leaves these shores   
Toontotown challenges have now raised £101,321 for charity www.toontotown.co.uk

You cant buy Scarlet culture........You have to breed Scarlet culture
Proud member of Herman Tours
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:49pm
For the 1st test against New Zealand I'd go for:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Liam Williams
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Owen Farrell
11. George North
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Connor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Ken Owens
3. Dan Cole
4. Maro Itoje
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. CJ Stander
7. Sam Warburton (C)
8. Billy Vunipola

Replacements:

16. Rory Best
17. Joe Marler
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Courtney Lawes
20. Sean O'Brien
21. Rhys Webb
22. Dan Biggar
23. Tommy Seymour

And We Were Singing...
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Iwlew Iwlew wrote:

For the 1st test against New Zealand I'd go for:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Liam Williams
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Owen Farrell
11. George North
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Connor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Ken Owens
3. Dan Cole
4. Maro Itoje
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. CJ Stander
7. Sam Warburton (C)
8. Billy Vunipola

Replacements:

16. Rory Best
17. Joe Marler
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Courtney Lawes
20. Sean O'Brien
21. Rhys Webb
22. Dan Biggar
23. Tommy Seymour

vunipola is out
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:42am
And one of the world's best 8s has been replaced by Haskell... I think that says a lot about Gatland.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

And one of the world's best 8s has been replaced by Haskell... I think that says a lot about Gatland.

I'm not convinced B Vunipola would have been picked for the tests ahead of Faletau, but his absence weakens the squad for sure.

But how much did Vunipola care about the Lions? He played 80 min for Sarries v Exeter before making this announcement... if he really needs surgery, why wait until now? Seems that Sarries (and maybe England) were higher priorities for him - not sure how long he's been carrying this injury.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic