Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snap General Election

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

During the last 3 x years we have had a Scottish Independence Referendum, an EU Referendum and 2 x General Elections which were all supposed to "let the people decide once and for all" and put the country in a no arguments, stable condition. What we have instead is the most fractious, rudderless political system at a time when the country needs stability and leadership the most.

Where have all our political leaders gone? Blair, Thatcher, for all their many faults, were leaders of their parties, government and country. I would trust either of those to negotiate the EU exit on behalf of the country more than the current offering.

I don't want a pompous, arrogant snob who treats the electorate with utter disdain and just assumes a political outcome.
I don't want a lunatic, far Left, terrorist sympathiser whose policies will take us back to the chaos of 70's politics.
I don't want a wishy-washy wet fart of a bloke who just wants us to have yet another referendum to reverse the result of the last one.
I don't want a pious, poisonous Scot whose one-policy party is hell-bent on destroying the country I actively served for many years.
I don't want a Welsh Nationalist whose only interest is to represent less than 5% of the population.
And I certainly don't want a lying UKIP nationalist whose policies, like all forms of nationalism, are insular and built on division and hatred of others.

I also don't want to waste my vote.

The country is crying out for a strong leader. Preferably a member of the new Common Sense Party.

Fancy a run in politics Zep? Wink

Just talking with a colleague about it, I do think recently we've seen people attracted to the charisma of politicians like Trudeau, Macron and, dare I say it, Trump for offering something different and having interesting personalities. But these are different situations electing a President rather than local MP and Government and we're slightly stuck between systems in some ways.

Of course letting people decide is what it's all about but the question is what if not enough people agree, then what do you do? Along with the fundamental premise of representing the will of the people (whatever that means), our political system has evolved to try to address this but it doesn't always work, as we're now seeing... Is it time to even have new parties for example? We are seeing big splits in both Tory and Labour parties in ideologies recently and these internal power struggles have been a significant factor in getting to the mess of brexit and this election result. As you say, a lack of strong leadership in each hasn't helped.

The fundamental weakness of the British system is the 'first past the post' method of electing MPs, which must be one of the worst systems in the developed world.

Even in the UK, we now have better systems - used for the Assembly election, the Scottish and (at present) the European Parliament. The current system, though, can allow a party with as little as 35% of the vote to win a huge majority of MPs, and for the leader to claim a 'mandate' for all sorts of thoroughly divisive policies. The argument against PR is that it leads to horse trading - but in turn, it prevents the largest party from forcing through very unpopular or divisive policies. (As it is, instead of being in a situation where the Tories or Labour would form a coalition with  the Lib Dems or the SNP, we have the ludicrous situation of seeing May go on her knees to Ian Paisley's old party, the DUP, to get some sort of majority. This would not have happened under any sort of PR voting system.

Aber & Zap I think you are both calling for the same thing - strong leadership. Our country needs a strong person at the helm over the next two years. Of the personnel on offer at the moment I think May is the best. She is not what I would call an electioneering leader but she is a good politician & leader. They are very different animals. Corbyn's manifesto has many policies which I agree with - but the next two years have to be entrusted to someone with the grasp & gravitas of the situation & that is May

Point 1 - really, not. I hope I have made my position on the so-called 'strong leader' abundantly clear. As Roy says, the stubbornness of so-called strong leaders such as Thatcher and Blair have proved disastrous to our country... let alone the others I mentioned. I really would not want a Trump or a Putin!

Point 2 - I can only assume that you have been smoking something rather potent, if you really think May has come out of this election anything other than terminally damaged and holed below the waterline. She chickened out of any number of opportunities to debate with her opponents; she hid in a shack in Scotland, and many other similar venues, surrounded only by placard-waving rent-a-crowd acolytes; she came across as someone incapable of answering any question with a straight answer... i suspect she'd even have evaded a Q about how many sugars she likes in her tea, FFS! 

She has already sacked her two top advisers, in an inevitably doomed attempt to save her own skin. Absolutely no-one believes she will lead the Tories into the next election... she'll be lucky to survive six months, IMHO.

(Now, this is not personal against you - your views are normally pretty sane - but, REALLY! I do think you are being - with respect - a trifle delusional.)

Delusional - well you may well be correct Aber. My wish before the vote was for the country to be left with a ruling party - whoever that was with a workable mandate. We now have the absolute worse case scenario bearing in mind the negotiations due to commence in less than 10 days. My comment refers to who we want to lead us through the difficult negotiations ahead. I have never once commented on May's performance during the last 6-7 weeks. It has been woeful, however it would be interesting to hear who you feel should lead the negotiations. Are you advocating the leader of the, still opposition? Let us not forget as woeful as the Conservative campaign was they still have 50 + more MP's than the next party. So lets hear your selection Aber. While I wait I'll get back to my smoke!!!Wink
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 9:04pm
dai davies will probably get that short straw
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 10:15pm
It's ok, we'll have another one by the end of the year.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 6:00am
Liverpool qualifying for the Champions league and Scarlets winning the league did prompt some concern in me about your general wellbeing what with all that rancour removed.

Thanks God for Theresa May Sal.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:31am

Delusional - well you may well be correct Aber. My wish before the vote was for the country to be left with a ruling party - whoever that was with a workable mandate. We now have the absolute worse case scenario bearing in mind the negotiations due to commence in less than 10 days. My comment refers to who we want to lead us through the difficult negotiations ahead. I have never once commented on May's performance during the last 6-7 weeks. It has been woeful, however it would be interesting to hear who you feel should lead the negotiations. Are you advocating the leader of the, still opposition? Let us not forget as woeful as the Conservative campaign was they still have 50 + more MP's than the next party. So lets hear your selection Aber. While I wait I'll get back to my smoke!!!Wink
Negotiations due to start in now under 10 days, yet she's seen swanning about at the England/France game. Maybe she should be concentrating on Brexit like she claimed when she chickened out of a leadership debate.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Negotiations due to start in now under 10 days, yet she's seen swanning about at the England/France game. Maybe she should be concentrating on Brexit like she claimed when she chickened out of a leadership debate.

If her Mexican wave is anything to go on we are indeed doomed!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 11:35am
what would ask for in the Brexit negotiations with the eu
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:16pm

Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

During the last 3 x years we have had a Scottish Independence Referendum, an EU Referendum and 2 x General Elections which were all supposed to "let the people decide once and for all" and put the country in a no arguments, stable condition. What we have instead is the most fractious, rudderless political system at a time when the country needs stability and leadership the most.

Where have all our political leaders gone? Blair, Thatcher, for all their many faults, were leaders of their parties, government and country. I would trust either of those to negotiate the EU exit on behalf of the country more than the current offering.

I don't want a pompous, arrogant snob who treats the electorate with utter disdain and just assumes a political outcome.
I don't want a lunatic, far Left, terrorist sympathiser whose policies will take us back to the chaos of 70's politics.
I don't want a wishy-washy wet fart of a bloke who just wants us to have yet another referendum to reverse the result of the last one.
I don't want a pious, poisonous Scot whose one-policy party is hell-bent on destroying the country I actively served for many years.
I don't want a Welsh Nationalist whose only interest is to represent less than 5% of the population.
And I certainly don't want a lying UKIP nationalist whose policies, like all forms of nationalism, are insular and built on division and hatred of others.

I also don't want to waste my vote.

The country is crying out for a strong leader. Preferably a member of the new Common Sense Party.

Fancy a run in politics Zep? Wink

Just talking with a colleague about it, I do think recently we've seen people attracted to the charisma of politicians like Trudeau, Macron and, dare I say it, Trump for offering something different and having interesting personalities. But these are different situations electing a President rather than local MP and Government and we're slightly stuck between systems in some ways.

Of course letting people decide is what it's all about but the question is what if not enough people agree, then what do you do? Along with the fundamental premise of representing the will of the people (whatever that means), our political system has evolved to try to address this but it doesn't always work, as we're now seeing... Is it time to even have new parties for example? We are seeing big splits in both Tory and Labour parties in ideologies recently and these internal power struggles have been a significant factor in getting to the mess of brexit and this election result. As you say, a lack of strong leadership in each hasn't helped.

The fundamental weakness of the British system is the 'first past the post' method of electing MPs, which must be one of the worst systems in the developed world.

Even in the UK, we now have better systems - used for the Assembly election, the Scottish and (at present) the European Parliament. The current system, though, can allow a party with as little as 35% of the vote to win a huge majority of MPs, and for the leader to claim a 'mandate' for all sorts of thoroughly divisive policies. The argument against PR is that it leads to horse trading - but in turn, it prevents the largest party from forcing through very unpopular or divisive policies. (As it is, instead of being in a situation where the Tories or Labour would form a coalition with  the Lib Dems or the SNP, we have the ludicrous situation of seeing May go on her knees to Ian Paisley's old party, the DUP, to get some sort of majority. This would not have happened under any sort of PR voting system.

Aber & Zap I think you are both calling for the same thing - strong leadership. Our country needs a strong person at the helm over the next two years. Of the personnel on offer at the moment I think May is the best. She is not what I would call an electioneering leader but she is a good politician & leader. They are very different animals. Corbyn's manifesto has many policies which I agree with - but the next two years have to be entrusted to someone with the grasp & gravitas of the situation & that is May

Point 1 - really, not. I hope I have made my position on the so-called 'strong leader' abundantly clear. As Roy says, the stubbornness of so-called strong leaders such as Thatcher and Blair have proved disastrous to our country... let alone the others I mentioned. I really would not want a Trump or a Putin!

Point 2 - I can only assume that you have been smoking something rather potent, if you really think May has come out of this election anything other than terminally damaged and holed below the waterline. She chickened out of any number of opportunities to debate with her opponents; she hid in a shack in Scotland, and many other similar venues, surrounded only by placard-waving rent-a-crowd acolytes; she came across as someone incapable of answering any question with a straight answer... i suspect she'd even have evaded a Q about how many sugars she likes in her tea, FFS! 

She has already sacked her two top advisers, in an inevitably doomed attempt to save her own skin. Absolutely no-one believes she will lead the Tories into the next election... she'll be lucky to survive six months, IMHO.

(Now, this is not personal against you - your views are normally pretty sane - but, REALLY! I do think you are being - with respect - a trifle delusional.)

May I remind you that:

1. May had a majority before she called the election (which she promised us that she wasn't going to do)
2. The 'worst case scenario' as you call it is entirely down to May's decision to call an election for purely party political reasons, and then failed dismally to campaign - her only point apparently being that she wasn't Corbyn.

May has no mandate to negotiate. I'd put Kenneth Clarke in charge, since it's obvious that a 'hard Brexit' or (even worse) 'no deal' will be disastrous, and won't command any sort of parliamentary support... even the otherwise rather crazy DUP DO NOT support a hard Brexit. Clarke has the experience and the skills needed, unlike that clown Davis. (Up until now, the Tories' approach has appeared to consist of shouting threats and abuse at the Europeans - hardly a method designed to smooth the way to any sort of good deal.)

Note: I don't expect them to ask Clarke to do this, but it would be the best idea in the circumstances, IMHO.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 8:06am

1. May had a majority before she called the election (which she promised us that she wasn't going to do)
2. The 'worst case scenario' as you call it is entirely down to May's decision to call an election for purely party political reasons, and then failed dismally to campaign - her only point apparently being that she wasn't Corbyn.

May has no mandate to negotiate. I'd put Kenneth Clarke in charge, since it's obvious that a 'hard Brexit' or (even worse) 'no deal' will be disastrous, and won't command any sort of parliamentary support... even the otherwise rather crazy DUP DO NOT support a hard Brexit. Clarke has the experience and the skills needed, unlike that clown Davis. (Up until now, the Tories' approach has appeared to consist of shouting threats and abuse at the Europeans - hardly a method designed to smooth the way to any sort of good deal.)

Note: I don't expect them to ask Clarke to do this, but it would be the best idea in the circumstances, IMHO.

Yes, indeed, this was pointed out to me by a Dutch colleague (who are always famously shy with their opinions!) that she put party issues before national. In turn this is reflective of divisions within the party - but now we have to pay the price for this weak and unstable leadership or petty squabbling in what is, as GPR states, a pretty important time for the country.

Although someone else mentioned the Tories actually had more votes than Blair got for his majority and many seats were very, very close - amazingly, so (Kensington by 20 votes). Telegraph running an article on how they were just 400 votes short of a majority.

The oddities of our system doesn't change the reality though: they HAD a majority anyway and HAD time to do whatever their supporters wanted, or the Brexiteers. So why risk it? It's a gamble that has cost them. Dealing out some humility to Theresa May (or, indeed, any leader) I'm fine with, but the future power vacuum that is already starting to open, in part due to her decision to run a presidential rather than party campaign, is concerning as there's a lot of unpleasant people waiting to fall into that particular plughole. And who knows what detritus will clog up this country next?

Not to mention this has resulted in agreements with the DUP and their policies or how this may destabilise things in Northern Ireland....

I reiterate my first thought: it's all got very messy.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 8:24am

Yes, indeed, this was pointed out to me by a Dutch colleague (who are always famously shy with their opinions!) that she put party issues before national. In turn this is reflective of divisions within the party - but now we have to pay the price for this weak and unstable leadership or petty squabbling in what is, as GPR states, a pretty important time for the country.

Although someone else mentioned the Tories actually had more votes than Blair got for his majority and many seats were very, very close - amazingly, so (Kensington by 20 votes). Telegraph running an article on how they were just 400 votes short of a majority.

The oddities of our system doesn't change the reality though: they HAD a majority anyway and HAD time to do whatever their supporters wanted, or the Brexiteers. So why risk it? It's a gamble that has cost them. Dealing out some humility to Theresa May (or, indeed, any leader) I'm fine with, but the future power vacuum that is already starting to open, in part due to her decision to run a presidential rather than party campaign, is concerning as there's a lot of unpleasant people waiting to fall into that particular plughole. And who knows what detritus will clog up this country next?

Not to mention this has resulted in agreements with the DUP and their policies or how this may destabilise things in Northern Ireland....

I reiterate my first thought: it's all got very messy.

Totally agree with your summation of it being messy & indeed very dangerous to our National prosperity. Aber's idea of putting Clarke in charge has some merit I must admit but I cannot see it happening. The DUP deal is far from ideal as any ramping up of political tensions in Northern Ireland is totally unwelcome. As May admitted she got us into this mess we are about to see if she can get us out!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 3:57pm
I understand that she is continuing in her habit of 'don't meet the people' by going to the site of the disastrous blaze in London, but didn't meet any of the actual residents. (Please correct me if this is wrong, as I have it at second hand.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 4:08pm
what are the main benefits of staying in the customs union
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 4:12pm
heres one crazy idea for you.......may goes to brussels sits down with the 27 leaders and junker etc and asks them simply what other compromises would they be willing to offer ion brexit. clearly they can see she is in a near impossible position with brexit inevitable. IF they would bend on open borders , free trade, customs union etc is some way shape or form and whatever other issues there are...is it not possible she could bring that back and offer it to joe public as a third way? I know a) the eu has never ever compromised before, but losing the UK is losing their 2nd biggets net contributor and 2) may would have to offer the new deal to the public...possibly with a 2nd referendum ? sounds far fetched but compromise is the only way any peace is ever reached
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 8:38am
[QUOTE=roy munster] heres one crazy idea for you.......may goes to brussels sits down with the 27 leaders and junker etc and asks them simply what other compromises would they be willing to offer ion brexit. clearly they can see she is in a near impossible position with brexit inevitable. IF they would bend on open borders , free trade, customs union etc is some way shape or form and whatever other issues there are...is it not possible she could bring that back and offer it to joe public as a third way? I know a) the eu has never ever compromised before, but losing the UK is losing their 2nd biggets net contributor and 2) may would have to offer the new deal to the public...possibly with a 2nd referendum ? sounds far fetched but compromise is the only way any peace is ever reached[/QUOTE]

That's for sure, which made it all the more stupid when the rabid Brexiteers started 'negotiations' by shouting the odds in the press, and insulting the Europeans. 

Not exactly the best way to make friends and influence people!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 10:47am

[QUOTE=roy munster] heres one crazy idea for you.......may goes to brussels sits down with the 27 leaders and junker etc and asks them simply what other compromises would they be willing to offer ion brexit. clearly they can see she is in a near impossible position with brexit inevitable. IF they would bend on open borders , free trade, customs union etc is some way shape or form and whatever other issues there are...is it not possible she could bring that back and offer it to joe public as a third way? I know a) the eu has never ever compromised before, but losing the UK is losing their 2nd biggets net contributor and 2) may would have to offer the new deal to the public...possibly with a 2nd referendum ? sounds far fetched but compromise is the only way any peace is ever reached[/QUOTE]

That's for sure, which made it all the more stupid when the rabid Brexiteers started 'negotiations' by shouting the odds in the press, and insulting the Europeans. 

Not exactly the best way to make friends and influence people!

The EU is a sorry mess regardless of brexit. But these egos need to sit down and come to a deal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic