Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro12 Final - Munster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro12 Final - Munster
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:28pm
Since I haven't seen a thread focusing solely on the game (due to the fuss over tickets and travel mostly) I thought I'd make one.
Where is this game going to be won and lost?
Personally think we need our forwards to step up and stop their power running game and attritional play. Starve them of possession and run at Saili in the centre who isn't the best defender. We also need to nullify Murray.

Don't forget we're the only team to win at Thomond Park this season https://youtu.be/oGcAXNcfc50
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:37pm
When we have the ball: can they stop our backs creating tries? Our deep lying formation means that their players will have to rush up - are they fast enough? Won't that create gaps elsewhere for our cleverer runners? I'll be extremely surprised if we don't score at least 2 tries.

When they have the ball: will their powerful runners wear ours down, or will we be able to get after them and tackle them behind the gain line? Will they get opportunities from 5m line-outs, and will that work against our improved maul defence? Will Bleyendal's kicking decide it? 

Reffing: will there be an honest contest at the breakdown, allowing time for a jackal attempt? Will blocking and obstruction be spotted and penalised?

We'll see... I believe and think we will win, but as always the game will be won by 'the best team on the day'.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:49pm
The chance of winning was just reduced by the appointment of Nigel Owens.  Still we should know his tendencies by now.  Munster has better forwards than Leinster.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The chance of winning was just reduced by the appointment of Nigel Owens.  Still we should know his tendencies by now.  Munster has better forwards than Leinster.
Do you think?
Comparing the teams from the two semis, Leinster have the better front row, the second rows were pretty evenly matched, and there's a case to be made for either back row however I like both O'Mahoney and Stander so I would say Munster edge that.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:04pm
We've got to go out and play our own game.

We know that Munster has a solid set piece, and the league's best defence.

The only way we win is to continue playing as we have been. Risk = Reward.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:08pm
Their kicking game with Bleyendaal and Murray will be excellent so we'll need to be set up to counter it - that might involve positional changes in the back 3 which might have happened anyway if Steff is banned. It might also call for Aled/John Evans to start for a more varied and controled game.

They'll look to blitz hard at 13 to shut us down, so a big performance is needed from 10, 12 and 13. Foxy and Scott will maybe need to take more on than they would normally do, so we'll need to support hard inside like Cubby did for our 3rd try. Patch will need to take the right option and maybe kick a little more if they push up too hard.

They'll be more direct than Leinster, the two matches this season they've had a bit of success against us by dynamic runners at our small guys (Thomond) or direct around the ruck (Pys). Our defence has improved since then but we will need to decide on our defensive strategy, especially if they load up on tight carries.

Maul defense will need to be excellent and we'll need to get the attacking maul going which we failed to do last week and with POM jumping we'll need to be accurate, so a big day for Ryan and Shings. Scrum we have a chance against them.

Owens makes the breakdown a lottery so we'll need to react to him - hands on the deck, taking players beyond the ball, general offside - Munster love these things so we'll need to make sure we make sure they're noticed or do them ourselves or he'll let them strangle us.

They look to have a bit more counter attack confidence at the moment too, so we'll need to be sharp on that.

It is an interesting stylistic match up and I'm very keen to see how we go. When we've clicked we've really troubled them but when we haven't muscled up or our handling has been a bit off, we've struggled. I think we need to keep the high tempo distributing game and really stretch them, while defending like demons on the gain line.
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:08pm
I think we just need to go out there and keep doing what we have been doing most of the season. great support with some of the best off loading I've seen in any league hit the ducks quick and hard and quick BALL.
no need to change anything in my eyes. Munster are a class side and a big pack but look what we done to the Os and Leinster, not to mention our world class backs!!!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:52pm
If steph is banned i might be tempted to put Parkes on the wing for this one.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:23pm
Delighted that Munster are in the final, not because I think we've got a better chance of winning it because we'd have been favourites against the ospreys and we're clearly not now, but it just makes it for a much better occasion.

Always loved going to limerick, fans have always been great and we've had some cracking games against them with both teams and fans being as magnanimous in defeat as they are in victory.

Can't wait ladies and gentlemen, and the rest of you.
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:44pm
Yes hopefully will be a great final and also hopefully another famous .Scarlets win following on from the Ospreys and Leinster games.
saundersfoot scarlets
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:58pm
I know its a bit cliche but if we get the platform from our line outs, scrums and rucks. we will score enough tries to win it. Hoping for a great game, good intensity and some fantastic tries.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:09am
Munster are far better coached than Leinster, and have a tradition of dogging it out to win. Discipline is key and not get drawn into the illegal tricks they use all day.

Take our chances and then defend, a bit like the AB's do.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:48am
Let's be honest here even if we win the playoff final, and that's a very big if, Munster have already finnished top of the league and are morally the Pro 12 champions. Congratulations to them.
This final is an important bit of money making business designed to keep the season going so best of luck to both sides for having got to the last game. But that is all it actually is. I bet Chelsea would love to play two extra fixtures at the end of the season to re-win the title they have already won!
If the shoe was on the other foot and we had to win it all over again and lost, I wonder how we would feel?
Keep the faith
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:03am
A play-off makes sense when you have a muddled season with two international windows to play through.
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:35am
I agree the play offs are a chance to showcase your strongest side and play the best of the pro 12. Not long left all!!!
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

A play-off makes sense when you have a muddled season with two international windows to play through.

Exactly! Top of league on its own certainly doesn't mean best team due to the significant number of games where internationals can't play - not forgetting the potential impact of which teams a side plays during international Windows

Edited by Rich (Bris) - 25 May 2017 at 8:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic