Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:35am
Not really supertaf, with our recruitment, I feel we are ok behind the scrum, as long as we don't get another injury crises.  

Collins was good but we now have players of around the same class in the squad, and I feel if we are going to get new players, then they need to be class, or development players and Collins is neither.

A shame he left, he might have been a bit of a super star now, working in the current environment, a case of ifs/buts
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:40am
Collins was an upgrade version of aled Thomas, all round player but also with Collins very little error count. Give me mcnicholl anyday he creates tries as shown on Friday, something we do miss with halfers at fb.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:48am
Who knows if Collins had been here in the environment now I still think he would be a top player
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

I seem to be on my own in liking Collins, seemed a solid player who can certainly do a job when our myriad of players are away with Wales etc.

No you are not alone Supertaf. Michael was a very solid dependable player and could play both FB and 12 at a push. However times have moved on - we have Clayton now who is certainly not as dependable defensively but is pretty explosive in attack and has bags of pace which Michael doesn't. Also my signing of last season was Paul Asquith who has played 11-14 with no panics and very few errors whilst always posing a threat - he can also be relied upon to finish moves.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Lets try to get some perspective on Shannon Frizzell. He has made the AB's squad with the absence of Liam Squire injured & Kaino retired. That puts him at best 3rd choice no 6 & the AB coach has stated publicly that Brad Shields would have made the squad this time if he hadn't thrown his hat in the England ring.

Now add to this the fact that Eddie Jones sees Shields as cover for Chris Robshaw & you kind of get the feeling that perhaps, just perhaps, Shannon would struggle to get into the Scarlets back row let alone the Wel[beep]!!!! Lets not follow the English model, lets develop our own huge talent pool and only look outside when absolutely necessary. 
To begin with Eddie Jones sees Shields as his potential first choice six. Personally I think he’s a better player than Robshaw. Hansen clearly said what he did to stir the pot a little, to be taken with a pinch of salt IMO. I’ve watched Shannon play quite a bit this season and he’s a seriously good player. He’s more explosive than Squire and Kaino is getting on. Would have been a huge asset to Welsh rugby but never mind

Scarletnut - I have to disagree with you. He may have been saying it tongue in cheek but Jones clearly said in a recent interview which I saw that Shields was a good back up to Robshaw. Being regarded as a better player than Robshaw in no way qualifies a player to get into the Welsh set up. At 6 we have Aaron, Warburton, Moriarty & Jenkins who would all be chosen ahead of Robshaw. 

I bow to your superior knowledge of Super Rugby because I don't watch it but I am reminded of a similar euphoria which surrounded the arrival of Fonotia a few years back from starring in Super Rugby and his time so far in the pro 12/14 cannot be described as an unreserved success. I hope for purely selfish reasons that his success changes but being a good player in Super Rugby is no guarantee of success in Wales. 

True. Just because a player is good with one team doesn’t mean he’ll be good with another. There’s different players, different coaching staff amongst other things.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Lets try to get some perspective on Shannon Frizzell. He has made the AB's squad with the absence of Liam Squire injured & Kaino retired. That puts him at best 3rd choice no 6 & the AB coach has stated publicly that Brad Shields would have made the squad this time if he hadn't thrown his hat in the England ring.

Now add to this the fact that Eddie Jones sees Shields as cover for Chris Robshaw & you kind of get the feeling that perhaps, just perhaps, Shannon would struggle to get into the Scarlets back row let alone the Wel[beep]!!!! Lets not follow the English model, lets develop our own huge talent pool and only look outside when absolutely necessary. 
To begin with Eddie Jones sees Shields as his potential first choice six. Personally I think he’s a better player than Robshaw. Hansen clearly said what he did to stir the pot a little, to be taken with a pinch of salt IMO. I’ve watched Shannon play quite a bit this season and he’s a seriously good player. He’s more explosive than Squire and Kaino is getting on. Would have been a huge asset to Welsh rugby but never mind

Scarletnut - I have to disagree with you. He may have been saying it tongue in cheek but Jones clearly said in a recent interview which I saw that Shields was a good back up to Robshaw. Being regarded as a better player than Robshaw in no way qualifies a player to get into the Welsh set up. At 6 we have Aaron, Warburton, Moriarty & Jenkins who would all be chosen ahead of Robshaw. 

I bow to your superior knowledge of Super Rugby because I don't watch it but I am reminded of a similar euphoria which surrounded the arrival of Fonotia a few years back from starring in Super Rugby and his time so far in the pro 12/14 cannot be described as an unreserved success. I hope for purely selfish reasons that his success changes but being a good player in Super Rugby is no guarantee of success in Wales. 

True. Just because a player is good with one team doesn’t mean he’ll be good with another. There’s different players, different coaching staff amongst other things.
Spot on. It is all down to the individual and the environment at the end of the day for a player to succeed. Look at Tadhg Beirne, Tom Prydie, Paul Asquith etc...
When you consider the style of rugby Scarlets play, the style of rugby Crusaders played (which Fonotia was an integral part of) I am sure he will be a success for us. Ospreys backs hardly flourish at the best of times. last time they did was the galacticos era really.
Their backs have looked lost for the past few years...and I don't see that changing anytime soon. they are at the moment, a mess. They have some handy individuals in the back line...but they simply do not function AT ALL as a backline for whatever reason.

GreyScarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreyScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:04pm
I would suggest that the main cause of the O's lack of function in the backs will be doing the same for Northampton next season.

The skill that DB does have (kick and chase, catching high balls) he has in abundance.

Passing is something that seems to be way outside his abilities. What a player he could have been if he could throw a good pass!
Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93
glyndwr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyndwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 2:03pm
Looks like Michael Collins has his eyes set on a return to Wales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/super-rugby-star-announces-intent-14878465
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 3:11pm
Or a decent ploy for a contract extension where he is...like Jonny Mac.

Good player, wise to keep his options cultivated. Good piece too.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 5:55pm
The form of McKenzie and Jordie Barrett has probably made him have a rethink. (Anyone else seen McKenzie's pass behind his back against the Brumbies? Now that is talent). However all the talent in our academy in the outside backs will probably make us have a rethink. There's a fair bit of x-factor amongst those boys and that's one thing Michael didn't have. The time has probably passed when we would welcome Michael but Pivac was a fan so who knows? And Michael was utterly dependable-never dropping a ball and always in the right place.

On the subject of our academy lads, Tomi Lewis has just been interviewed on Rasus on S4C. He is now training with the senior squad. Physically he appears ready to make the step up into senior rugby. Which is another way of saying he's a well-muscled lump....
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:19am
Michael Collins is an experienced, Welsh qualified player who can fit in multiple positions.

I think it would be a no-brainer to take him back.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:25am
I would take Collins back every time. He covers 15 & 12 and has the look of Hadleigh about him - not really quick but very dependable and makes good decisions. For all our young talent we don't really have a 12 or 15 who is pushing the door down at the moment. I have heard a lot of good things about Tomi Lewis at 15 so lets see if he can shine for the under 23's. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:42am
Money would be better invested in the second row where we will miss Beirne and where there is little sign of homegrown challengers. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

On the subject of our academy lads, Tomi Lewis has just been interviewed on Rasus on S4C. He is now training with the senior squad. 
He is going to be a cracking player. Very excited to see Tomi in action next year, either for the firsts or the u23s.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by John John wrote:

On the subject of our academy lads, Tomi Lewis has just been interviewed on Rasus on S4C. He is now training with the senior squad. 
He is going to be a cracking player. Very excited to see Tomi in action next year, either for the firsts or the u23s.

Haven't seen much of him Sospan just heard good things. Made quite an impression on the 7's circuit I understand. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Not really supertaf, with our recruitment, I feel we are ok behind the scrum, as long as we don't get another injury crises.  

Collins was good but we now have players of around the same class in the squad, and I feel if we are going to get new players, then they need to be class, or development players and Collins is neither.

A shame he left, he might have been a bit of a super star now, working in the current environment, a case of ifs/buts
ok until we miss Leigh, Steff, Hadleigh, Foxy, Patch, Cawdor, Prydie all to Wales and SHC to Scotland plus any number of injuries elsewhere and then we have youngsters really. Good youngsters don't get me wrong but you need some quality in there as well
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic