Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South African sides set to join Pro12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:54pm
And it looks like our conference will be
Leinster Ulster Edinburgh Dragons Treviso cheetahs
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:52pm
Let's just hope that if this league does expand to 14 teams (zebre set to honour their agreement to participate in the league albeit under the control of the Italian Rugby Federation) that we don't Change the setup too much. Having 2 conferences or pools will destroy the competition as a spectacle and reduce the number of meaningful games. I can't see how the respected unions can say that they can protect the derby matches if 2 of the 4 sides are playing in a separate conference. Yes you can add the derby matches to the fixture list but how can you expect the same intensity and the same interest from the players and fans (more importantly) if there are no meaningful points at stake in these games, apart from bragging rights.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Let's just hope that if this league does expand to 14 teams (zebre set to honour their agreement to participate in the league albeit under the control of the Italian Rugby Federation) that we don't Change the setup too much. Having 2 conferences or pools will destroy the competition as a spectacle and reduce the number of meaningful games. I can't see how the respected unions can say that they can protect the derby matches if 2 of the 4 sides are playing in a separate conference. Yes you can add the derby matches to the fixture list but how can you expect the same intensity and the same interest from the players and fans (more importantly) if there are no meaningful points at stake in these games, apart from bragging rights.

My understanding is that all derby games will have points at stake giving a 21 match season. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:17am
Is there any way to get a fan's survey out there? Can Crys help out? I for one really do not want to see conferences. I'm just wondering if there's any way of getting our voice in with the organisers.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:26am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Is there any way to get a fan's survey out there? Can Crys help out? I for one really do not want to see conferences. I'm just wondering if there's any way of getting our voice in with the organisers.
Do you think they care that highly of fans' opinions given how in the dark we've been kept thus far? They'll go with whatever structure they think is best in line with the tv companies and we are, and always have been, an afterthought.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 9:31am
Unfortunately I agree with you minded, they do not care at all what supporters would like, and also to a certain degree the clubs as well.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 9:32am
Seen elsewhere a 'possible' leak of the conference, based on a photo/shoulder surfing of someone in dublin.

Munster, Connacht, Ospreys, Blues, Glasgow, Zebre, Kings
Leinster, Ulster, Scarlets, Dragons, Edinburgh, Treviso, Cheetahs.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Do you think they care that highly of fans' opinions given how in the dark we've been kept thus far? They'll go with whatever structure they think is best in line with the tv companies and we are, and always have been, an afterthought.

Absolutely. The connacht away game last season being scheduled 2 or 3 weeks before kick off is testament to that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:17pm

Do you think total silence on the matter is the way to go?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:38pm

It never hurts to raise your voice when you do not agree with a situation, however at the same time dont think just because you shout the loudest your going to get things your way.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

It never hurts to raise your voice when you do not agree with a situation, however at the same time dont think just because you shout the loudest your going to get things your way.

I'm not five years old LOL In my experience saying something is better than saying nothing. You might not get what you want when you want it, but speaking out pays off in the long run. I'd rather the Pro12/14 organizers have a definitive view from the fans to consider than none at all.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 6:09pm
It is indeed annoying how they are leaving the fixtures so late.  Makes planning so much harder.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I'm not five years old LOL In my experience saying something is better than saying nothing. You might not get what you want when you want it, but speaking out pays off in the long run. I'd rather the Pro12/14 organizers have a definitive view from the fans to consider than none at all.

Sorry, just re-read that it did sound very patronising (not meant that way).

I really hope that the organisers do listen to our concerns, if they are aired (as you suggested), but I really don't have much faith in it happening. They seem to be looking at the TV revenue above the attending fans, and I got a bad feeling the TV fans won't really give a fig that the league is in conferences, traditional league or that weird rugby league system, as long as they have a game on the box Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And worse I think their voices out number the attending fans voices.
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:38pm
A lot of the negativity that I have read is based on assumptions, guesswork, and good old fashioned nonsense. Very little that is concrete has been released, hence the speculation and hand-wringing.

I wouldn't personally be interested in reading the outcome of any fans' survey. A cursory glance at the comments section on a rugby page demonstrates the level of discourse, and proves that those with the least to say are often the most determined to be heard.

I have more faith in the sport's administrators than I have in the Gwlad regulars.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

A lot of the negativity that I have read is based on assumptions, guesswork, and good old fashioned nonsense. Very little that is concrete has been released, hence the speculation and hand-wringing.

I wouldn't personally be interested in reading the outcome of any fans' survey. A cursory glance at the comments section on a rugby page demonstrates the level of discourse, and proves that those with the least to say are often the most determined to be heard.

I have more faith in the sport's administrators than I have in the Gwlad regulars.

In recent years the Pro12 has engaged with fans through surveys. This has given us the opportunity to give feedback on issues such as kick off times etc. If you have a product to sell you would want to know your customers views. With two new teams almost certainly coming into the league and strong persistent rumours of conferences being formed, it may just be wise to take into account the fans views.

Let's face it, if a conference system leaves paying fans cold then dwindling gates aren't going to be attractive to any sponsor or broadcaster are they?

Good grief, it's as though I'd asked people to get a rectal examination, honestly! LOL
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

I'm not a Gwlad visitor let alone regular and I can see this whole thing is going to end in disaster. It's the exact same rationale behind getting the Italian teams onboard, a quick buck to which now years later most people on twitter are calling for them to be dropped from the league, yet they can't be as they're shareholders.

I find it incredulous that you have faith in an administration/organiser of which a tournament is due to start in 5 weeks time and we literally have no idea of the structure, let alone fixture list, for said tournament. Name one other major tournament/league that finds out it's fixture list this late into proceedings?

For everyone arguing against conferences, it's definitely going to be that unless we (as Welsh regions) drop out of the Anglo-Welsh to create the weekends for additional fixtures. Not that i'm sure the Pro12 are even keen to play through the international windows regardless.

Edited by minded - 29 July 2017 at 2:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic