Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South African sides set to join Pro12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 7:52am
It'd be hugely surprising if the SARU let Kings flounder with a lack of quality for long. The Union would appear to have invested a lot of time and money into accessing the PRO12/14. They wouldn't want it to go to waste by lack of being competitive.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 10:48am
They are a new team and playing Leinster so not easy and too soon to judge them I feel.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 12:48pm
So in essence players left and the fans followed? Shocking attendance and fans! I'd still be at the scarlets games no matter what. Haven't won anything for 12 years and never looked like it then last season happened. Actually saw fans saying they didn't go because it was raining lol welcome to our world.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:23pm
Kings and its various predecessors suffered a lot of reputational damage with legal battles, unpaid player wages and accusations of bribery and corruption in its recent past. Fans, sponsors and players left in droves as a result, so it's probably not an unexpected start to their PRO14 career given how damaged the previous 'brand' was.

Still a shame they couldn't get more than the reported 500 odd through the gates for this new start, although interestingly the official attendance on the PRO14 web-site says there were 3,011 at the game!

Cheetahs gave out tens of thousands of free tickets to get the crowds in for their first PRO14 home game, and seem to have got over 15k in for their win over Zebre (again, PRO14 official attendance is more optimistic @ 20,000), the biggest attendance of Round 3.

As we know, match attendance is secondary to TV revenues in commercial terms (particularly if you're handing out freebies), but quite a contrast in the opening SA gates - be interesting to see how the trend develops, especially after the Currie Cup season.

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Still a shame they couldn't get more than the reported 500 odd through the gates for this new start, although interestingly the official attendance on the PRO14 web-site says there were 3,011 at the game!
Season tickets included, a guy i follow on twitter that's a Cheetahs supporter said they pay their season tickets from Jan-Dec every year and that the Pro14 home games until 2018 were included in this years cost. 
So basically 2500 people had tickets to come but couldn't be bothered to turn up.

Edited by minded - 18 September 2017 at 1:47pm
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 7:34pm
How do you know that all the 2,500 ticket holders couldn't be bothered to turn up?
I suspect a lot of them will have seen zebras before! 😁😁😁
Keep the faith
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 5:46pm
I think probably about 40% of Scarlets ST are missing in every game. They get counted in the attendance numbers though.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I think probably about 40% of Scarlets ST are missing in every game. They get counted in the attendance numbers though.
Half that figure and you're about right.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:51pm
I have to be honest here. I'm finding the negative narrative about all things Pro 14 a bit tiresome.

I'm no fan of the existing template. But I do appreciate entities trying to better themselves.

Will the tv deal that starts at the beginning of next season be more lucrative with a SA presence in it?

Well the Cheetahs v Zebre game had the prine time slot on SA tv on Saturday, a 15k crowd ( about the same as the 3 Welsh regions who played at home had between them), and they dropped the normal Aviva and / or Top 14 game they normally show in that slot.
Coverage was great, and were give a 93 point try fest.

Edited by Wil Chips - 19 September 2017 at 7:52pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 9:29pm

I have to be honest here. I'm finding the negative narrative about all things Pro 14 a bit tiresome.

I'm no fan of the existing template. But I do appreciate entities trying to better themselves.

Will the tv deal that starts at the beginning of next season be more lucrative with a SA presence in it?

Well the Cheetahs v Zebre game had the prine time slot on SA tv on Saturday, a 15k crowd ( about the same as the 3 Welsh regions who played at home had between them), and they dropped the normal Aviva and / or Top 14 game they normally show in that slot.

Yes Wil I agree. We needed change, we've got it so lets get behind it and give it a chance. 
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 9:51pm

Well said that man - and Cheetahs tonight showed how good they are beating Leinster, it seems quite comfortably. Kings will get there soon
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:00pm
Pro 14 entering a totally different era, IMO.
It won't happen overnight but it is changing.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:08pm
Cheetahs beat Leinster 38-19, Treviso beat Ospreys 16-6 and Glasgow beat Munster (who lost against them four times last season) 37-10.  Who said the Pro 14 isn't competitive?
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:14pm
Cheetahs were very impressive tonight, the pace they put on the game, forwards and backs was incredible. Turned over to Treviso v Ospreys after the game in Bloomfontein I thought I had accidentaly hit the pause button it was so slow.

Impact already from SA, taken years for the Italians to make little or no impact. The latest from SA is that they want more involvement as they look to split their franchises north and south.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Cheetahs were very impressive tonight, the pace they put on the game, forwards and backs was incredible. Turned over to Treviso v Ospreys after the game in Bloomfontein I thought I had accidentaly hit the pause button it was so slow.

Impact already from SA, taken years for the Italians to make little or no impact. The latest from SA is that they want more involvement as they look to split their franchises north and south.

Actually, Treviso reached 7th place in the Pro12 in the 2012-13 season, and even before then managed victories against the Irish big three and Glasgow - some of them away.  Since then, however, they haven't really progressed - until now.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Actually, Treviso reached 7th place in the Pro12 in the 2012-13 season, and even before then managed victories against the Irish big three and Glasgow - some of them away.  Since then, however, they haven't really progressed - until now.

Sorry I disagree, they have made no impact and little contribution to the league. They will be at the bottom of the conferences at the end of this season and they bring little or no tv revenue to the kitty. South Africa is a rugby country, provided they sort out themselves out they will be a potent factor in both hemispheres. The amount of Saffer players plying their trade in Europe is amazing, if they can increase the number of players staying to play for their franchises then look out. they will be contenders for the title. At this point in time can anyone see Treviso or Zebre ever contending for the title?
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic