Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South African sides set to join Pro12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

A lot of the negativity that I have read is based on assumptions, guesswork, and good old fashioned nonsense. Very little that is concrete has been released, hence the speculation and hand-wringing.

I wouldn't personally be interested in reading the outcome of any fans' survey. A cursory glance at the comments section on a rugby page demonstrates the level of discourse, and proves that those with the least to say are often the most determined to be heard.

I have more faith in the sport's administrators than I have in the Gwlad regulars.

I have zero faith in the sport's administrators.
Sponsored Links

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 5:35pm
What's the delay in the final announcement? It's been a fortnight since the end of the Super Rugby regular season and nothing has happened. They could and should have been in a position to do the big launch 10 days ago and then everyone would know what was going on. The first match is presumably less than five weeks away now.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:27pm
Pro12 announcement tomorrow (Tuesday, aka #Tnewsday) on SA teams joining & introduction of conference system, including fixture weekends (no actual dates & times just yet).

Act surprised when they tell us, guys & gals. Shocked

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:44pm
Are we top seeds, or is it Munster from the final league positions? I think its important as if we are top seeds perhaps we'd get Connacht and not Ulster? Doesnt matter about the welsh sides as we play them all twice anyway. But playing Leinster and Connacht twice is easier than playing Leinster and Ulster twice. If we avoided Ulster in our conference we'd only have to play them once.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 9:49am
I've heard the announcement is at 11am today (Finally!)
Writer for The Rugby Club
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 3:52pm
The Final will not be in Cardiff according to Martyn Phillips.

I wonder where it will be.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 4:42pm
The more I think about this expansion, the more impressed and excited I am.

PRO12 already suffered from many conflicting, vested interests across 5 nations, so to deliver major growth into a rugby heartland, unlocking a huge TV market and finally breaking out of the stifling, constraining environment the league was in is some achievement. That it's been achieved in a window of about two months by a tiny team is actually astonishing. Clap

I know that there will be complexities and rough edges to live with, especially in the first season - the 'conference' system, uneven H/A games, travel logistics, fixture announcements even later than the usual 11th hour, etc. - there will be plenty for sceptics and detractors to pick apart and moan about in the PRO14, but the potential it opens up is significant and crucial to the survival and constitution of the pro teams in Wales, as well as the other participating nations.

But the reaction I've seen (apart from a few not unexpected sour-puss grumpy-faces Angry) has been overwhelmingly positive and excited.

There was also a concerted approach to landing this from within the disparate parts of Celtic Rugby - I hope the full story of how it's been achieved will come out eventually, but they've still got a hell of a lot more work to do yet! Martin Anayi deserves much credit for having the vision and drive to take action when the opportunity presented itself.

The joint approach had a major focus on maximising the commercial potential of an expanded league, with PRW instrumental in getting a great financial return, and that gives me hope that the next round of TV agreements will more fully realise the value of the league, in the 'home' nations and around the world. The big TV companies are watching with great interest...

Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Hi sorry for the delay I didn't realise you had replied.

Each to their own, I know there are individuals who would rather pour scorn on any innovation than try to keep an open mind; it is usually easier to criticise. However there comes a point when you just have to accept the decisions of those in full possession of the facts and with a professional interest in seeing the game succeed and grow.
At this early stage I can sympathise with anybody who is doubtful or who is cautiously optimistic, but anyone who predicts disaster looks a bit foolish if I am honest. A lot of strongly opinionated Cassandras simply don't know enough to offer any real insight, but you still see them on WoL & BBC articles, dragging down the product and, by extension, our own achievements (bloody moaners, basically). They are the reason I wouldn't take any survey seriously, and why I don't think the pro12 would or should either.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Hi sorry for the delay I didn't realise you had replied.

Each to their own, I know there are individuals who would rather pour scorn on any innovation than try to keep an open mind; it is usually easier to criticise. However there comes a point when you just have to accept the decisions of those in full possession of the facts and with a professional interest in seeing the game succeed and grow.
At this early stage I can sympathise with anybody who is doubtful or who is cautiously optimistic, but anyone who predicts disaster looks a bit foolish if I am honest. A lot of strongly opinionated Cassandras simply don't know enough to offer any real insight, but you still see them on WoL & BBC articles, dragging down the product and, by extension, our own achievements (bloody moaners, basically). They are the reason I wouldn't take any survey seriously, and why I don't think the pro12 would or should either.

Dude, seriously? What do you think it's about? The Pro12 have conducted fan surveys and made changes in response. It makes sense for any business to know the opinion of its' customers on its' product. Plenty of folk had reservations about the conference proposal. These are season ticket holders, paying customers. Surely it makes sense to find out what they think don't you? What happens if crowds drop off as a result?

Look, I'm not a fan of the conference idea but I'll be there when the season kicks off supporting the Scarlets like I have been for the last 35 years or so. I'll be feeding back on the next round of fan surveys and I'll just give an honest opinion based on how it pans out. I appreciate the opportunity to contribute my small part.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 11:03am
BBC Wales Sport interview with PRW's Mark Davies - some quotes:

"We can contemplate further geographical expansion, why wouldn't we?" said Davies. "It's not on the back-burner. We can't afford to take our foot off the gas.

"Even when we're getting to the point of matching our first ambition of doubling our revenues, we're still behind our competition. We don't have the opportunity to coast, we have to keep pushing."

"We've now got five of the top ten tier nations playing in one competition. It's pretty profound, the first time there's been any club competition that's transcended hemispheres."

Davies has been at the heart of delivering the radical expansion in the last few months but admits there will be doubters.

"It arrived late, it's been delivered in about a 12-week period. It's been hard work from a very small group of people but absolutely worthwhile because of the scale of the change. It's not the end game, it's the end of the beginning.

"I've met with various supporters and the overriding impression is excitement, a belief this is something new. Our aim was to have more big games and that's what we've got."

"I'd like to think the English and French clubs are looking at us and feeling it is worthwhile watching what we're doing. Instead of then looking at each other now, perhaps they have someone else in the room. If there's three in the race, we all go forward."

The Welsh regions will benefit from an additional £500,000 per region, although Davies would not be drawn on exact figures. He stated that extra money would not be spent on travel costs to South Africa with additional revenue provided for the trips.

"We've got broadcast agreements in place in South Africa which are significant. That's the first stage of the contribution to our clubs. It wouldn't be sensible to then dilute that with additional travel costs."

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 4:20pm
First home game for the Kings and less than 500 in attendance...
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/guinness-pro14/eerie-silence-appalling-attendance-for-first-pro14-game-on-south-african-soil-36138256.html
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 5:11pm
Oh dear.

It'd be a bit surreal if our away support outnumbers the home.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 16 September 2017 at 5:13pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 5:45pm
Not a surprise-aligns with Currie Cup attendance. The loss of Super rugby triggered a talent exodus. They don't have their kits out for another month...etc

Unless they do something on player retention and allocation it could get messy.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 7:15pm
Pretty decent crowd at the Cheetahs v Zebre game.
19-18 ht
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 11:03pm
Leinster comfortably beat Kings 10-31.  Cheetahs v Zebre was a try-fest ending 56-39.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 5:14am
It would be good if we consider Cheetahs and Kings as very much two different level teams.

I could rabbit on about the differences, but maybe the best way too emphasise is that 4 of the Cheetahs tries last night were by players who were at the Kings only a few weeks ago. They were the weakest team anyway, with limited pedigree, but have lost all their best players with the exit from Super XV.

As I said unless they get allocated some SARU player allocation they will remain walking 5 points, and likely un-sustainable.

Good crowd and great atmosphere at the Cheetahs game last night...defence was optional from both sides which led to 90+ points. Once the Currie Cup is over the Cheetahs will have a say in their conference in my view.

Edit-crowd was 15,200

Edited by Wil Chips - 17 September 2017 at 6:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic