Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ask not what the Scarlets can do for you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ask not what the Scarlets can do for you
    Posted: 04 July 2017 at 6:29pm

It’s summer, the best time because we’re all filled with hope.  This could be THE season.  Ok, so last one was great but can we kick on?

There has been, and will be, a lot written about what the players & coaches need to do to build on last season. There’ll be a lot written about how the club needs to cash in on being CHAMPIONS. (Duw, that still sounds good).  There is a good thread on Supporters Trust but it all focuses on what the club can do.

My question is what we, the supporters need to do to raise our game.  Let’s put aside for a moment the question of what the club should be doing with its limited financial and human resources, what can we do? To misquote JFK, “Ask not what the Scarlets can do for you, but what you can do for the Scarlets.”

For me it’s about the matchday experience. Last season I abandoned my stand seat for the North Terrace, much better atmosphere. But can we make it better.  Can we organise better singing?  What else can we do during the game?  Look at the Chiefs and their bloody drums!  Would Health & Safety let us bang saucepans?  

Is the shop now officially a Macron shop?  Does that mean it can’t sell anything else?  Don’t know about anyone else but my kids loved spending money  but like all those of that generation needed something new every time. We need inexpensive, witty stuff?  And maybe limited edition T-shirts fwould sell well.  If the official shop can’t do it, can we do it as a Crys16 initiative?  Can we invest some Crys16 funds to buy some flags – sell them or hand them out?    If I remember correctly back in the 70s the shop at Stradey was a supporters club shop.

At Football Clubs its often the supporters club that organise away – and matchday – travel.  Can our supporters get together to organise the odd minibus or coach from Haverfordwest, Aberystwyth, Llandeilo or wherever.   It could grow and grow.  What else can we do to increase the crowd short of dragging all our lapsed friends along by the hair?

I don’t know the answers.  But with club resources tied up maybe we can do more.  Please take this post in the spirit it is intended and let’s have a positive debate.

Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 8:26pm
A good reminder of things to think about during the close season.

Hopefully, this will be an interesting thread to follow.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:02pm
Not drowning the attempts at singing after scores with tacky music is a massive issue. the atmosphere was there all along before they started doing this.

Llanelli rugby club doesnt need tacky music to make atmosphere. Leave it silent, and let the crowd find its voice again. Let the youngsters experience and learn the songs, not bury their heads in their smartphones, whilst James cowing brown i feel good blasts around a soulless matchday.

I dont even like sospan fach or yma o hyd being blasted out.

ITS THE CROWDS JOB TO MAKE THE ATMOSPHERE.

Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:39pm
You need to think back to the experience at Stade Marcel Michelin when we got stuffed in the European Cup.
Flags, clappers ,25 cl. beakers with players pics on. Easy acces to temporary bars to refill the beaker for 2 euros a shot.

(Oops, sorry this is the UK where plenty of beer means fans get pissed.)

Get several cafe bars in the concourse where fans can get to the game 3 hrs before the start of the game. No one, except a few Brits get pissed because the great majority of the fans eat and drink at tables etcetera.

It can't happen at y parc, can it?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:50pm
1. Bring a friend.
2. Sing/shout loudly
3. Don't confuse the gas leak at your rear end with contributing to the atmosphere
4. Spend some money at the ground
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

1. Bring a friend.
2. Sing/shout loudly
3. Don't confuse the gas leak at your rear end with contributing to the atmosphere
4. Spend some money at the ground

As I travel a fair way with the family I'd love to be able to have a pint and something to eat at a table. Then I'd spend a bit more. As it is I usually hit a pub before or afterwards and spend £20-30 on the family. That's a shame really.

As for the atmosphere etc. it's pretty good IMO. The terrace seemed to be less full last season to my unscientific eye and to be fair that's where the best singing and chants always start. 

At the end of the day if we can keep winning things will keep improving off field in terms of corporate hospitality and sponsorship and that's where the money is that will help to pay the wages.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Not drowning the attempts at singing after scores with tacky music is a massive issue. the atmosphere was there all along before they started doing this.

Llanelli rugby club doesnt need tacky music to make atmosphere. Leave it silent, and let the crowd find its voice again. Let the youngsters experience and learn the songs, not bury their heads in their smartphones, whilst James cowing brown i feel good blasts around a soulless matchday.

I dont even like sospan fach or yma o hyd being blasted out.

ITS THE CROWDS JOB TO MAKE THE ATMOSPHERE.

Whilst I completely agree I wonder if this is just showing our age. There are times during an injury stoppage that I'm glad to hear the disco as it can go a bit quiet at times. I also think there are probably ways for the club to encourage the singing or chanting before the team comes out with a choir or band.

We definitely need to leave it to the crowd during play and after a score.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
coldith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:50am
Get the scarlets choir to sing pitch side (near the terrace) 10-15 mins before kick off, not singing to an empty south stand half an hour before kick off.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 8:55am
I hate to keep "banging on" about this because folks will think I'm pro Ulster (which I'm not) but get the Management to take copious notes next time they are at the Kingspan.

This means lots of tacky plastic flags, balloons and general frolics for the kids. Give lots of silly deals to get kids along (along as supervised by an adult).

Kids will make a noise if they enjoy themselves (when was the last time you got kids to keep quiet on a night out) plus if you offer deals their parents or adults will spend - pester power, call it what you may.

And lastly......lots of loud music, drums and beats.

Whether we like it or not...working our way through the Church of Wales Hymnal is not going to cut it in 2017. Yes lots of songs if we can but we have to face facts...we're getting older and we need lots of new fresh young fans.

Get the kids to have a fun time, they will tell their friends and they'll all want to be seen by and with each other. As someone once said..."children are the future".

In Belfast I have the husband of a friend of my wife who is a "dyed in the wool" NI Footie fanatic who prefers now to take his kids to the Kingspan instead of Windsor Park because the atmosphere is better and even he now posts about how good the craic is on Facebook etc.

Edited by sgsmorgan - 05 July 2017 at 8:56am
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 10:04am
Got thoughts but can we focus on what WE can do to step up as a body of supporters.  It keeps reverting to what the management should do!
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 10:41am
Great thread Cymraes.

Each fan can do more. I am 100% getting a big flag made for the new season.

It's interesting that so many people are posting in this thread about what the club should do.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 10:42am
1. Decorate the road on way in into the stadium with flags, images of players, squad photo lifting the trophy etc, flags on lamposts - really create Scarlet Way. Give the sense of arrival to the ground. 

2. Fans flags can be donated to go on top of stadium - similar to what Wigan Warriors do at DW Stadium:
http://wiganwarriors.com/admin/resources/south-stand-dw-stadium-2016.jpg

3. Agree with the songs - i love the likes of yma o hyd, calon lan etc, traditional. But times move on. Not saying to forget the tradition, but we can mix it up with modern day songs. It's great what we have done with The Killers - Human, team of Samson Lee etc.  
Other things we can do:
"Beirne Baby Beirne the Scarlet inferno". 

Another is somehow have lyrics changed to Supertramps Logical song - what Celtic have done to Scott Sinclair:
"Oh Foxy Davies, he is so wonderful when he scores a try
Oh it's beautiful magical when he runs down the field he is fast as lightening
It's frightening and he makes everyone sing da da da da da da da..."

Another is a play on Wigans Will Grigg on fire:
Johnny Mac is on fire the defence is terrified...

When songs like this catch on, its great for the atmosphere. 

najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 11:01am
Turning up to matches more often would be a good place to start...
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

The nail has been firmly hit on the head by the above. Nothing more to be added.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

The nail has been firmly hit on the head by the above. Nothing more to be added.

Agreed. It's where it all starts.

Turn up.
Make a lot of noise.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 12:30pm
Go Johnny Go/ Johnny be Good
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic