FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHalfpenny or .....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

I think we were close but there we are, players (and anything else) are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Halfpenny ain't worth £600k. In fact, I'd have been outraged if we paid £200k+ for him on a dual.

Also a side note, any returning player could say "I want a million pound" then the regions wouldn't offer a contract and they'd be free to play for Wales under Gatland's law.

And the WRU could offer him a "market value" NDC of £350k and lo and behold he would be captured
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

I can remember a Crys 16 meeting once where management said that crowd figures don't really make a huge difference in the bottom line. A few thousand extra every week is peanuts compared to the money from tv deals.

Ummm not sure about this. 2000 extra full price paying tickets @£25 per home game with say 20 home games a season would add up to an extra £1million per season with very little increase in overheads. Isn't that about the size of our yearly budget deficit?

I'm just repeating what was said on the matter.

But realistically, last season we had 11 home league games and 3 European games.

So 14 guaranteed home games.

Factor in the lack of interest in some opposition teams. You're not going to see 2000 extra people pay £25 to watch Zebre.

Factor in that you need to increase overheads for season ticket holders, even if they don't turn up to games. So if you had 2,000 take up a season ticket, only to go to a handful of games a season, you'd still need to put stewarding in place for them, power, toilets, bars etc.

An average of 2000 extra people at a game would be a huge and welcome achievement. However a lot of them would be kids etc, so say an average income of £18 that's £15 before VAT

So £30k per game x 14 = £420,000 before other costs. A tidy sum.
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 9:25pm
Takings at the gate might not be the holy grail they once were but £500k is still reportedly enough to make the pro12 the pro14 regardless of the thousands of air miles & attendant costs. All the pro12 participants clearly take it very seriously indeed.

£500k is 20000 £25 tickets a season, over 14 games that is approx. 1400 extra attendees per match. To boost the home turnout by even 1000 (about 15%) would have a huge financial impact in tickets alone.

Add on the food & bar takings, the improved atmosphere, and the positive publicity & desirability to broadcasters. Plainly increasing crowds still matters and it is one of the only factors over which we have any influence.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

Takings at the gate might not be the holy grail they once were but £500k is still reportedly enough to make the pro12 the pro14 regardless of the thousands of air miles & attendant costs. All the pro12 participants clearly take it very seriously indeed.

£500k is 20000 £25 tickets a season, over 14 games that is approx. 1400 extra attendees per match. To boost the home turnout by even 1000 (about 15%) would have a huge financial impact in tickets alone.

Add on the food & bar takings, the improved atmosphere, and the positive publicity & desirability to broadcasters. Plainly increasing crowds still matters and it is one of the only factors over which we have any influence.
You're absolutely right in essence but not maths Ticket sales include VAT so your £25 ticket is only £20,  and not everyone pays full price so to get 1400 full paying tickets would mean around 2000 extra people through the gate.

We need both ticket sales and TV money. Also corporate hospitality and sponsorship. Nigel was talking about an even bigger increase in TV money from 2018 onwards, so that plus the SA money will make a difference.

Crowds do matter, they increase my enjoyment for a start(!), they reinforce the popularity and perceived success, they add atmosphere to the broadcast product and they spend just under £5 each on average.  
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Crowds do matter, they increase my enjoyment for a start(!), they reinforce the popularity and perceived success, they add atmosphere to the broadcast product and they spend just under £5 each on average.  

I imagine the TV companies also like to see decent crowds - people in the stadium form part of the product they are offering (perhaps live supporters should be paid!  Smile)

Seats at a rugby game are what marketing people call "perishable".  They are valueless after the event, and every one you haven't sold by kick-off might as well be given away.  In that respect, they're a bit like seats on an aeroplane flight, and could be sold using some of the same techniques.  But while a seat at a full rugby match is more valuable to most supporters a completely full aircraft isn't to most travellers.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

I imagine the TV companies also like to see decent crowds - people in the stadium form part of the product they are offering (perhaps live supporters should be paid!  Smile)

S
That's what I said!
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:23pm

You're absolutely right in essence but not maths Ticket sales include VAT so your £25 ticket is only £20,  and not everyone pays full price so to get 1400 full paying tickets would mean around 2000 extra people through the gate.

We need both ticket sales and TV money. Also corporate hospitality and sponsorship. Nigel was talking about an even bigger increase in TV money from 2018 onwards, so that plus the SA money will make a difference.

When did the VAT rate go up to 25% ? Confused 
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Easy maths lesson 10% of 25 is 2.50 so 20% of 25 is 5.... So the vat on a £25 ticket is £5
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:35pm
Wasps have distanced themselves from signing Halfpenny with Dai Young saying they were getting fed up of waiting for Halfpenny to make a decision.
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:44pm

Easy maths lesson 10% of 25 is 2.50 so 20% of 25 is 5.... So the vat on a £25 ticket is £5

Cant believe i'm getting involved in this Bring back the rugby season!
Ticket at £25 cost is made up of 
Ticket £20.84
Vat     £ 4.17
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:01pm

£25 is a "gross" figure, The nett pre tax figure of £25 is £20.83

VAT is added to the Nett Value not deducted from the gross value, hence the name Value ADDED Tax... (Easy accounting lesson !) Wink
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:40pm
He should be centrally contracted by the WRU and sent to the Scarlets.  With his goalkicking, a Pro 12-European double could well be in order.Smile
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

He should be centrally contracted by the WRU and sent to the Scarlets.  With his goalkicking, a Pro 12-European double could well be in order.Smile

Pass for me...in 2011-13 yes, now, no thanks, unless Wales picks up 80% of the contract costWink
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Wasps have distanced themselves from signing Halfpenny with Dai Young saying they were getting fed up of waiting for Halfpenny to make a decision.
Bath have also ruled themselves out now.
Why don't we get on the phone to the WRU, and together offer him a deal to join the CURRENT PRO 12 CHAMPIONS on an NDC and offer a total of £250. I believe we pay 40% so to shell out £100K would be reasonable bearing in mind the potential bums on seats he would provide.
He could play on the wing, and under the guidance of Stevo and the coaches find his attacking mojo.

He has to realise that if Gats was picking Liam at 15 for the Lions ahead of him, then he has no chance of playing at 15 for Wales from now on. He would be better off re kindling his wing play in a backline of :
Cawdor, Patch, Scott, Foxy, Steff, and Jonny.
That has to be a tasty proposition for Gods sake !!!
Page the oracle
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Bath have also ruled themselves out now.
Why don't we get on the phone to the WRU, and together offer him a deal to join the CURRENT PRO 12 CHAMPIONS on an NDC and offer a total of £250. I believe we pay 40% so to shell out £100K would be reasonable bearing in mind the potential bums on seats he would provide.
He could play on the wing, and under the guidance of Stevo and the coaches find his attacking mojo.

He has to realise that if Gats was picking Liam at 15 for the Lions ahead of him, then he has no chance of playing at 15 for Wales from now on. He would be better off re kindling his wing play in a backline of :
Cawdor, Patch, Scott, Foxy, Steff, and Jonny.
That has to be a tasty proposition for Gods sake !!!

That is a decent summation. Cannot see Halfpenny settling for that & I certainly would not be surprised to see Liam still selected on the wing by Gatalnd/Howley.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:13pm
We can't afford him And that's Amen to that. Our budget has gone up considerably. It's a bit of a mess I.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic