Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Munster after Beirne at contract end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 7:33pm
He had nothing to sign, it was our option to retain or release him at the end of last season.

By exercising the option for year 2 at the package we started out with and no more addition or extension guarantees his departure next season.
Short sighted at best.

I wonder how motivated he will be this season.
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:04pm
But according to reports, his contract now ends season after next?
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

But according to reports, his contract now ends season after next?
If that's correct, then he would be on something other than the original contract. 🙃🤕

Here's hoping it's not his last contract with us and a special case can be agreed to allow him to pursue Irish honours based at PyS.

After all, without us, he'd have been on the scrap heap.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

He had nothing to sign, it was our option to retain or release him at the end of last season.

By exercising the option for year 2 at the package we started out with and no more addition or extension guarantees his departure next season.
Short sighted at best.

In American Football, players can be retained on 1 year deals (albeit it has to be in the top 10% or something of players in their position across the league) called a Franchise Tag before their franchise tries to negotiate a longer deal with them.
No chance that's what we're trying Wil? Keeping him here this year for definite and putting a bumper pay packet on the table in the next few weeks?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 9:25pm

Short sighted at best.

If what you say is correct Wil, I have absolutely no reason to doubt it, it is scandalous. If we treat our very best that way what hope do we have of building a truly competitive squad. He was glad of an opportunity to prove himself. By early 2017 he had proved himself and at that stage he should have been offered a long term much improved contract. 

If we are expecting him to continue to prove himself on the same contract conditions this coming season when he is probably selected ahead of higher earners like Bulbring then we are kidding ourselves. Shameful. Forget speculating on Halfpenny look at our young performers who are on relatively low money and improve their contracts. Then safeguard our cream who are  out of contract in June 2018. Loyalty is a two way thing.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 10:38pm
I thought he had signed extension for year or did I read it wrong as I believe it to be end of 2019 season I am not in position to know but what if we tried to sign him up long term and he said no thanks I do one year to thank you for giving me opportunity after that I go home. All I'm saying we may have tried to retain him but he may have said no but I was under impression he has signed until end of 2019 season but I stand to be corrected.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 10:41pm
A lot of speculation on what we did or didn't offer and what Tadgh might or might not have been expecting isn't there?

Edited by Wasp - 13 July 2017 at 10:44pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 11:00pm
If you all come to Crys AGM on Tuesday you can ask Wayne Pivac 👍
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 3:10am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Isn't it a bit early for Munster to be tapping up a player under contract?

Not with the IrishWink
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 3:12am

Short sighted at best.

I would give the share of the Halfpenny proposed money to him.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 4:08am
Asking about this in the Crys meeting would be great.
About Halfpenny too.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 1:41pm
Some of his direct quotes in interviews last season suggested that bridges have been burned with the Irish Provinces.

I took it that he is not really a munster fan tbh. This sounds a little desperate from the Irish press, and just trying to fit pegs in holes.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 2:22pm
As I've said before, I'd be very dissapointed (but unsurprised unfortunately) if we haven't been breaking the bank to try and keep him, starting back when he made his first couple of appearances for us. It was clear back then that he was special, and that that was the time to make a deal.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 3:05pm
One issue we MUST never forget is what the player wants, it seems to me from the interviews he gave at the end of the season was that one of his aims was to play for Ireland, and if his performance were good (which they were) he would end up back in Ireland.

So whatever we wanted as a club, I feel the IRU and a region would take him on for 18/19 season. So like all negotiations Munster have thrown their hat in the ring, certainly backed by the IRU.

I really don't blame the Scarlets, or any one, (unless there is something not being said)

It is a shame but they have their own version of Gatlands Law which they adhere to.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:55am
He didn't really gain any form until the end of the season.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

He didn't really gain any form until the end of the season.
Whatever you've been drinking tonight - I don't want it!! Wink
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic