Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Fixtures 2017/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 10:07am
List for reference when fixtures come out next year:-
Home games 2017-18:

Blues 11
Dragons 11
Munster 11
Ulster 11
Glasgow 11
Treviso 11
Kings 11
Ospreys 10
Scarlets 10
Leinster 10
Connacht 10
Edinburgh 10
Zebre 10
Cheetahs 10
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 10:54am
Another relatively interesting one, number of games covered by our providers:-
Obviously some other games covered by ALBA and TG4 etc.

The reason we have a total of 14 from 11 games is because some games are covered by both Sky and S4C for example. But same logic/totals applied across all four.

Edited by minded - 09 August 2017 at 10:57am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by joni_bach joni_bach wrote:

Doesn't every Welsh and Irish team have 10 home games (6 in our own conference, 4 against half of the 8 in the other conference)? The odd numbers only applies to Scottish, Italian and SA teams surely.

8+8=16, it's the Pro14...... with only 7 teams per conference.

we have 6 home games from our conference teams + 2 home derby games and then this season we have 2 out of 5 teams at home and then next season we will have 3 out of 5 at home.

Just the luck of the draw.

Anyone know where the final is?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 11:40am
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 2:01pm
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by joni_bach joni_bach wrote:

Doesn't every Welsh and Irish team have 10 home games (6 in our own conference, 4 against half of the 8 in the other conference)? The odd numbers only applies to Scottish, Italian and SA teams surely.

8+8=16, it's the Pro14...... with only 7 teams per conference.

we have 6 home games from our conference teams + 2 home derby games and then this season we have 2 out of 5 teams at home and then next season we will have 3 out of 5 at home.

Just the luck of the draw.

Anyone know where the final is?

Like you've got to ask !LOL

Thinking of buying an apartment in Dublin !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Scarlet-in-Drefach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet-in-Drefach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 10:50am
Hello out there,
The published match schedules have been the final straw and unless things change for the better, I'm going to be a TV-based supporter only  Here is the text of a message I sent to the Scarlets by e-mail. 

It's another complaint, but I feel I need to speak up.

Okay, I know I'm beginning to sound like a grumpy old man.  I've become that way for a reason, and some of it has to do with the PRO12's money grubbing and the Scarlets connivance in making rugby in Wales more like the business of football than the sport I know and love.

The Scarlets are supposed to be a regional team and draw their support from west and mid Wales.
I live between Lampeter and Llanybydder - look them up on a map - and you'll see it's right in the heart of your region.

I'm a season ticket holder.  Have been off and on for 12 years, as circumstances allowed.

But this will be the last season I come to watch Scarlets matches.

Why?  Simple really, you make it easier for me to watch the games on TV.
You schedule matches to suit your television audience, not the fans.

Timings are geared to the TV audience, not the fans that should be filling the stadium watching the most exciting team in the PRO12 (or 14 if you count the South African interlopers).

At 1935 hrs on a Saturday evening, the kickoff is pretty much ideal, if I watch the match on TV.
But not for the travelling fan, as it takes well over an hour to get to Llanelli for us by car (by public transport would be about a day). 

Then after the game getting home - if we are not still stuck at the car park exit -  we are close to midnight.
That's not a fun drive on an autumn or winter night.  You try it.

So both my wife and I will continue, after this season, to be Scarlets supporters but from our sofa and not in the stands.
TV money rules, and the fans who made the club, come second.

No wonder you are finding it so hard to fill the stadium. 

Come on Scarlets management, get a grip. 
You have talent on the field, but none in the boardroom.

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 11:09am

Bit harsh that Scarlet in Drefach. The boardroom have done a magnificent job in the last 6 or 7 years. I'm as frustrated as the next man at the new format, kick off times, lack of tv income, lack of games featuring our best players. They do not suit me in the slightest, and I will not make 50% of the home games. But the Scarlets hands are tied here. It's the sacrifice all the pro clubs have to make (except Ulster of course) to enable us to keep in existence in the short term. Your anger should be directed elsewhere.
Ian Lewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Scarlet-in-Drefach Scarlet-in-Drefach wrote:

Hello out there,
The published match schedules have been the final straw and unless things change for the better, I'm going to be a TV-based supporter only  Here is the text of a message I sent to the Scarlets by e-mail. 

<font size="2" color="blue" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
It's another complaint, but I feel I need to speak up.

Okay, I know I'm beginning to sound like a grumpy
old man.  I've become that way for a reason, and some of it has to do
with the PRO12's money grubbing and the Scarlets connivance in making
rugby in Wales more like the business of football than the sport I know
and love.

The Scarlets are supposed to be a regional team and draw their support from west and mid Wales.

I live between Lampeter and Llanybydder - look them up on a map - and you'll see it's right in the heart of your region.

I'm a season ticket holder.  Have been off and on for 12 years, as circumstances allowed.

But this will be the last season I come to watch Scarlets matches.

Why?  Simple really, you make it easier for me to watch the games on TV.

You schedule matches to suit your television audience, not the fans.

Timings are geared to the TV audience, not the fans
that should be filling the stadium watching the most exciting team in
the PRO12 (or 14 if you count the South African interlopers).

At 1935 hrs on a Saturday evening, the kickoff is pretty much ideal, if I watch the match on TV.

But not for the travelling fan, as it takes well
over an hour to get to Llanelli for us by car (by public transport would
be about a day). 

Then after the game getting home - if we are not still stuck at the car park exit -  we are close to midnight.

That's not a fun drive on an autumn or winter night.  You try it.

So both my wife and I will continue, after this season, to be Scarlets supporters but from our sofa and not in the stands.

TV money rules, and the fans who made the club, come second.

No wonder you are finding it so hard to fill the stadium. 

Come on Scarlets management, get a grip. 

You have talent on the field, but none in the boardroom.

With all due respect, the Scarlets are incumbent on the tv companies as to when matches are played. If Sky, BBC or S4C say they want a certain game at a certain time, there's not a lot we can do about it.
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet-in-Drefach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 11:18am
Not angry, just frustrated!
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 11:46am

You're punishing the Scarlets for things beyond their control. You speak of the scarlets making rugby "like the business of football". At the end of the day it is a business. One that employs hundreds of people.
"Scarlets are supposed to be a regional team" yet we just won the Pro12, on a tiny budget, with boys from Llanelli (Samson), Pembroke (Rob), Carmarthen (Ken) etc. Not just that, these boys are all internationals too.
The scarlets run outreach to schools around the region and lay on buses to pick people up for games.
The board have just signed a British Lion to add to the two we already have, from the three we sent on the last tour. They put together a superb coaching team and get them playing superb rugby, and most importantly have put money in their pocket year after year to stop us being the Dragons.
The Dragons have an early afternoon kick off the first game of the year. They also have hardly any international standard players, are in huge debt, have an uncertain future, and have finished in the bottom four of the league how many years in a row?
The board don't deserve this unwarranted stick.
theieuan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theieuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:11pm
I'm a bit disappointed that we play 7/10 of our home league games by 05/01/2018. Of the remaining 3 games, 2 of them are played on consecutive weeks.  Surely the games could have been spread out a bit more.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

You're punishing the Scarlets for things beyond their control. You speak of the scarlets making rugby "like the business of football". At the end of the day it is a business. One that employs hundreds of people.
"Scarlets are supposed to be a regional team" yet we just won the Pro12, on a tiny budget, with boys from Llanelli (Samson), Pembroke (Rob), Carmarthen (Ken) etc. Not just that, these boys are all internationals too.
The scarlets run outreach to schools around the region and lay on buses to pick people up for games.
The board have just signed a British Lion to add to the two we already have, from the three we sent on the last tour. They put together a superb coaching team and get them playing superb rugby, and most importantly have put money in their pocket year after year to stop us being the Dragons.
The Dragons have an early afternoon kick off the first game of the year. They also have hardly any international standard players, are in huge debt, have an uncertain future, and have finished in the bottom four of the league how many years in a row?
The board don't deserve this unwarranted stick.

Scarlet-in-Drefach - You're absolutely entitled to your rant, Richard, if you feel that strongly, but if any of SospanMawr's more-than-valid counter-points cause you to send a slight apology to 'the board' for some of your comments, I think we'd all understand. Hug

I've just booked 7 tickets to the opening game, including 4 for a former Os ST holder & his family who are minded to come to PyS this season (well, the teenage son, an ex-Ospreys ball-boy, may need to be sedated to get him over the Loughor), and I hope many people can get along to support this remarkable team, despite the fact that the TV times often make it less convenient for the local fan. Have to say, the 400-mile round trip isn't too convenient for me, but I'll make as many games as time allows.

Edited by NobbySosban - 10 August 2017 at 12:15pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet-in-Drefach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 1:48pm
How am I punishing the Scarlets if I choose to stop being a season ticket holder?  It's my only method of protest (other than forums like this).

Who else in the Scarlets should I hold accountable for the acceptance of the playing schedule?  Not the players or on-field and back-room staff.  It's the board who are the managers and organisers. 

And yes, I accept that for the Scarlets there has been a tremendous on-field success steadily built on a low-budget plan over the last couple of years, and I'm as happy as Larry that we secured the services of young Mr Halfpenny.

But that still does not make me believe that the next seasons kick off times should almost all be geared to the TV companies bidding.

If we don't want Parcy Scarlets to be an echoing and half empty venue for each home game then we need to consider the fans. 

Some fans, like you, may make a round trip of 400 miles for the occasional game.  But how many hundreds more would regularly attend if the games were held at more convenient times for those who travel?  But then again I suppose the bean-counters weigh these potential additional 'bums-on-seats against the revenues from TV and guess who wins?

And given the attendance at last seasons games it seemed to make little noticable difference.
But why?

I think that the balance is wrong, and it's skewed by TV money away from attending matches to the TV watchers.  I would like to believe that the board would consider each home match as a spectator event, with TV coverage as a nice to have.  But money talks.

And I'm realistic enough to know that's not going to happen while the big Englsih clubs spend money they haven't got, to attract the best players, from wherever they want. 

So what do we, the fans, do about it?
I for one write snotty-grams to the Scarlets in an attempt to make my feelings known.
Others just don't go to the games any more.

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 1:59pm

How am I punishing the Scarlets if I choose to stop being a season ticket holder?  It's my only method of protest (other than forums like this).

Really? You're punishing them by taking away income and support. Your reasoning is like refusing to buy a Ford because you don't like the speed limit - you're punishing the wrong people.

But that still does not make me believe that the next seasons kick off times should almost all be geared to the TV companies bidding.

Neither do I. But no TV money = no Scarlets, in all probability.

I for one write snotty-grams to the Scarlets in an attempt to make my feelings known.
Others just don't go to the games any more.
Aren't you doing both?
philtheturk56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtheturk56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by philtheturk56 philtheturk56 wrote:

if we have less home games this season, that means we will have more home games next season, so the structure says.

How do you work that out?
Unlike you to mis the detail of the league's approach to fixture planning.

OR

You might not trust the message.........

I have missed it. I genuinely have no idea how they work out who plays 11 home games one season and who plays 10, and whether they switch it year on year. I must have missed it in the copious amounts of information the Pro14 have released in the last month to keep us informed.

Can you enlighten? Thanks

Quick answer: as per the 6N.

Ah right thanks, I hadn't seen that.

Given we don't know who we'll be in a conference with, and all teams in the conference need to play home and away, is this easy to do?

Apologies if this has been covered.
No, it's impossible to guarantee, due to the change in the make up of conferences each year, as you rightly surmise. Also - aren't the Yanks joining next season? Confused

if you listen to the video put together for the Pro 14, there is a part either vrbally by eddie butler or in the paperwork Pro 14 have put out that states, any time that plays less home games this season, will play more next season
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic