Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 players out of contract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 players out of contract
    Posted: 12 August 2017 at 11:31pm
There are up to 20 players out of contract at the end of this coming season but we are well down the line in securing the players we want to keep.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-hope-fend-irish-attempts-13469898.amp
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

There are up to 20 players out of contract at the end of this coming season but we are well down the line in securing the players we want to keep.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-hope-fend-irish-attempts-13469898.amp

It is unrealistic to keep them all, and I think Barclay may not stay no matter what, but the big ones will be in midfield, Beirne and James Davies.  Have to think the NDC's will be renewed unless the WRU gives up on them.

Hopefully each team will get a proportion in relation to its Wales squad members.

najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:44am
Maybe when the Scarlets do the European/Pro 14 double this season then more players will stay.Wink
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:10am
I cant see cubby leaving tbh.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:12am
I think in the past the decision was to try and help support the O's in their bid for Euro Glory and then try and help the others in their wake so to speak.

Now that the O's possibly have hit a temporary (probably) hiatus then the WRU will back and try and run with the Scarlet's attempt for greater success. By this hopefully they'll try and help the club maintain it's challenge for honours and bigger and better success.

Basically the WRU is not rich enough to fully get behind each and every region and just evenly distributing the NDC's around on a per region basis actually tends to perpetuate an "average" performance as opposed to trying to target those with real potential to put Welsh Club/Regional Rugby on the European Map.

Hopefully the WRU will recognise that of the four Regions the Scarlets over the next 2-3 Seasons have arguably the best chance of serious silverware and support us.

But this is Tribal Wales we're talking about so the above common sense may not apply.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:19am
Bollocks to NDCs. I doubt we'll be counting on them, other than the renewals for very high profile players like Foxy to be honest. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

I cant see cubby leaving tbh.
He's an international class player who can't get capped no matter how well he plays with his lack of Wales call ups making him more attractive to French and English clubs than a large amount of Wales squad players. He's achieved a hell of a lot at Scarlets so he may look for a new a challenge where he can earn more money. I don't think he's nailed on to stay as he will undoubtedly be the subject of a lot of big money offers.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Maybe when the Scarlets do the European/Pro 14 double this season then more players will stay.Wink
It's vitally important to make the RCC knock outs. A quarter final appearance could net us up to £400k
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Bollocks to NDCs. I doubt we'll be counting on them, other than the renewals for very high profile players like Foxy to be honest. 

Like.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Like.

I do not like NDC but if they are there and if they help us keep players we should be fighting our corner in every negotiation with the WRU to get what we are rightfully entitled to. if we are going to lose a lot of players to the national side which undoubtedly we will we need proper compensation.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:54pm
Used correctly the NDC system has its merits. Samson, Jake & Foxy hopefully will renew with NDC's. Rob, Scott & Ryan are all worthy contenders for NDC's also. Cubby is the conundrum. If he adapts well to the new tackle laws & is as influential as previous years then I can see a clamour for his signature from over the bridge. 

I notice Pivac is on record today saying that the club have offered Tadgh a new extended contract. He also stated that the club had already decided which of the 20 out of contract at the end of the season players they wanted to keep & discussions had already taken place with players/agents. Hopefully we can get the positions with the 20 sorted well before Xmas. 
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:46pm

That would be unwise as their price would go up.  Pivac has stated that renewal talks have already been started
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Like.

I do not like NDC but if they are there and if they help us keep players we should be fighting our corner in every negotiation with the WRU to get what we are rightfully entitled to. if we are going to lose a lot of players to the national side which undoubtedly we will we need proper compensation.
According to Nigel Short we get well compensated for call-ups to the point of him not being fussed over whether we get them or not.

Let's be honest, our recruitment/retention has been the best of all four teams over the last 2 seasons. NDCs just add a layer of WRU interference that we don't need.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Like.

According to Nigel Short we get well compensated for call-ups to the point of him not being fussed over whether we get them or not.

Let's be honest, our recruitment/retention has been the best of all four teams over the last 2 seasons. NDCs just add a layer of WRU interference that we don't need.

This should suit the Scarlets as we will contribute most of the squad 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:49pm

It's vitally important to make the RCC knock outs. A quarter final appearance could net us up to £400k
It's still a tough ask this year with Bath/Toulon in the group. But it's our best chance for several years. 

A home KO game in the P14 is definitely within reach. Getting both would be a substantial boost and one I agree we should be targeting.

Apart from injuries I worry about increased call-ups this season. Patch/Steff/Elias/Wyn are all in the frame now along with our regulars.

Edited by Wasp - 13 August 2017 at 2:51pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 3:16pm

It's still a tough ask this year with Bath/Toulon in the group. But it's our best chance for several years. 

A home KO game in the P14 is definitely within reach. Getting both would be a substantial boost and one I agree we should be targeting.

Apart from injuries I worry about increased call-ups this season. Patch/Steff/Elias/Wyn are all in the frame now along with our regulars.

Agree with you on all that. Bath and Toulon may have had their problems of late but both have star studded squads. However, the side that finishes second will almost certainly qualify given Treviso's presence in the pool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
  Share Topic