Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 players out of contract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 38>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:50pm
I think Seb Davies style of running, passing rugby - sort of basketball with scrums and rucks would really suit us and provide a good foil for Ball who is only now starting to pick up steam again.
I would have absolutely no qualms about pinching a player from the Blues as the balance of players pinched would still stack pretty heavily in their favour, and not just from us but from the rest of Wales too. You could probably pick a pretty good Wales team from all the Carmarthenshire boys who have gone to Cardiff/Blues over the years.
Sponsored Links

Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

lots of rumours regarding seb davies.would be an ideal replacement for beirne,i feel.scarlets however,now being labelled as poachers,for taking an interest in seb,from blues fans.even walesonline stating,we're poaching him.i find this all so rich,coming from a region/club,that traditionally over the decades,have continuously poached/raided/pillaged nearly every club in wales,of their better players.
I'm not sure he would be if you believe the hype around him. We can do what we like with TB at the moment in terms of position, game time etc. But if Seb comes in, and perhaps gets absorbed by the newest raft of NDC type contracts that are apparently on the horizon, where does that leave us? We would be missing him and Jake for large parts of the season. In reality, do we need Seb therefore just to show genuine progress in terms of depth up front, but in addition also need a specific TB replacement who won't be affected by international calls? Remember the depth the O's had at lock once upon a time. Similar scenario perhaps

Or does that mean we would have an international class lock available for every match if we rotate Ball & Davies as opposed to thinking they would both start each match?
That ignores the huge portion of the season around AIs and 6 Nations when neither would be available

True however the other side of that argument is we would have 2 international locks at other parts of the season. Swings & roundabouts.
But that doesn't help us for the other 14-15 or so weeks when we won't have a Beirne type lock? The point is that Seb is luxury add on to our ERC - non window team, he cannot be classed as a direct replacement as he isn't available for anything like the amount of games. Our strength these last few seasons has been during the windows, it is only last season that we really kicked on outside it after March.

And as more of our fringe 'out of window' guys fall within the window, i.e. Wyn Jones, Elias, that is an area we ignore at our peril imo.

I agree with what you say, it would give us great international quality strength at lock. But where the likes of Leinster have done consistently well for so long is to be both a window and non window team. They have achieved this with a good balance of international players and fantastic overseas exports. Glasgow are slowly going the same way. And whilst I appreciate it is hard for us to complete financially, we have brought in some cheap gems over the years. Therefore I suspect that we may look at Seb and AN Other at lock. Pivac did say we were looking at a big abrasive lock. Not sure Seb falls into that category as of yet.
#George
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think Seb Davies style of running, passing rugby - sort of basketball with scrums and rucks would really suit us and provide a good foil for Ball who is only now starting to pick up steam again.
I would have absolutely no qualms about pinching a player from the Blues as the balance of players pinched would still stack pretty heavily in their favour, and not just from us but from the rest of Wales too. You could probably pick a pretty good Wales team from all the Carmarthenshire boys who have gone to Cardiff/Blues over the years.

He reminds me of Arthur Iturria.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 3:16pm

But that doesn't help us for the other 14-15 or so weeks when we won't have a Beirne type lock? The point is that Seb is luxury add on to our ERC - non window team, he cannot be classed as a direct replacement as he isn't available for anything like the amount of games. Our strength these last few seasons has been during the windows, it is only last season that we really kicked on outside it after March.

And as more of our fringe 'out of window' guys fall within the window, i.e. Wyn Jones, Elias, that is an area we ignore at our peril imo.

I agree with what you say, it would give us great international quality strength at lock. But where the likes of Leinster have done consistently well for so long is to be both a window and non window team. They have achieved this with a good balance of international players and fantastic overseas exports. Glasgow are slowly going the same way. And whilst I appreciate it is hard for us to complete financially, we have brought in some cheap gems over the years. Therefore I suspect that we may look at Seb and AN Other at lock. Pivac did say we were looking at a big abrasive lock. Not sure Seb falls into that category as of yet.

If there is any sense amongst the international selectors, we are looking at losing Halfpenny, Steff Evans, Foxy, Scott, (Parkes, if they want to cap him in the last AI as he will be with the squad from the start)), Patch, Cawdor, Aled; Shingler, Jake, Samson, Ken, Ryan, Rob and Wyn to Wales for the AIs/6Ns, and also Beirne and Barclay too.

The international window squad is looking pretty thread bare, the best I can think we could feild would be (given who has seen action so far this season);
J Mac, Grabham, Steff Hughes, Asquith, Prydie, Rhys Jones, Jon Evans; Dylan Evans, Emyr, Kruger, Bullbring, Price, Rawlings, Macloed (Cubby when he is fit). Boyde.  (reps: A.N.Other, A.N.Other, Nicky Thomas, A.N.Other, A.N.Other; Declan Smith, Dan Jones, A.N.Other)

We definitely need to look at signing more 'filler' type players, as that has been our real strength the last two seasons.  But it will most likely be our biggest weakness this season, and in the coming seasons if we are not careful.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 4:51pm
Spider-Man
Can Gardiner, Nicky Thomas or Kruger play  on the loose head? We are fairly well off for tight heads and hookers and also, second rows and we've got give Condy a chance at 8. You've left out Aled  at 9.
We've also got Tom Williams, Corey Baldwin, Ryan Conbeer, Tom Grabham, Ioan Nicholas and , Tom Phillips.
I haven't yet included Rhys Fawcett as although some of the backs are even younger we know it takes much longer for props to mature and they'll probably be up against some pretty gnarled old specimens.
So the situation isn't too bad so long as there are no serious injuries in key positions like 1, 8 or 10
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:06pm
Firstly don't see Hadleigh being required by Wales for the Autumn nor indeed Tadgh by Ireland & you must take into account who will be released back to us of those who make the squad. Don't see Patchell or Steff making the final 23. I could also see a few more coming back but lets stick with that - my team would be :-

Jonny, Prydie, Hadleigh, Asquith, Steff, Patchell, Evans, Dylan, Emyr, Werne, Bulbring, Beirne, Rawlins, Boyde, Cubby. Bench : Fawcett, Taylor Davies, Gardiner, Price, McLoud, Declan, Dan, Steff Hughes.

That would leave players like Condy, Tom, Phillips, Helps, Sebastian, Nicky Thomas, Rhys Jones, Grabham, Conbeer, Nicholas & Baldwin as back up. 

With regard to Seb Davies I see him as one of two lock signings - the other being a Ball type.As our players become more successful the pressure will mount on our non international lads & we are totally correct to be planning for this. If you take Hadleigh, Steff Evans & Patchell out of the above selected team then Steff Hughes, Conbeer & Dan step up with Rhys Jones & Nicholas to the bench. 

thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Firstly don't see Hadleigh being required by Wales for the Autumn nor indeed Tadgh by Ireland & you must take into account who will be released back to us of those who make the squad. Don't see Patchell or Steff making the final 23. I could also see a few more coming back but lets stick with that - my team would be :-

Jonny, Prydie, Hadleigh, Asquith, Steff, Patchell, Evans, Dylan, Emyr, Werne, Bulbring, Beirne, Rawlins, Boyde, Cubby. Bench : Fawcett, Taylor Davies, Gardiner, Price, McLoud, Declan, Dan, Steff Hughes.

That would leave players like Condy, Tom, Phillips, Helps, Sebastian, Nicky Thomas, Rhys Jones, Grabham, Conbeer, Nicholas & Baldwin as back up. 

With regard to Seb Davies I see him as one of two lock signings - the other being a Ball type.As our players become more successful the pressure will mount on our non international lads & we are totally correct to be planning for this. If you take Hadleigh, Steff Evans & Patchell out of the above selected team then Steff Hughes, Conbeer & Dan step up with Rhys Jones & Nicholas to the bench. 
Hadleigh is keeping scott out of the team on merit and I don't think anyone would disagree. Hadleigh is eligible for the autumn internationals and I can see him and foxy developing for the 6 nations. Putting the tin hat on but scott is struggling to get in the team.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 6:00pm
Hadleigh is not available to Wales until the 6N.

I'd be disappointed to see him selected, not on merit, but the fact Wales needs to take a 30 year New Zealander in to the squad in front of any young talent.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 6:16pm
If he eligible and he the form player he has to play too many times in Wales have we selected on reputation or misguided loyalty.
I would rather have a young born Welshman of course but if there isn't one as good then you should pick the form player no matter who he is or where he born as long as he is eligible.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 6:42pm
I beleve he is available for the last international, where any English based players could be back with their clubs.

I am certainly in the camp of Welsh players only, but there is a small bit of me saying if others do it then why not Wales!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Rugby paper linking us to Seb Davies and Moriarty while the Fail links the Ospreys with a move for Aled Davies.
Need Fissler to link us, he normally gets it right.
It was Scarletnut's piece in TRP I think.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

Seb Davies is on a development contract, if he is offered a professional one by us and Cardiff, then it is his choice.

No poaching done, this is a business after all.

Can't help but feel, shoe on the other foot and all that, we'd be absolutely furious. If he's been actively touted around by his agent and looking to move on, it's one thing - but I can't help think by wading in we're inflating his value and that doesn't reflect well on us.

This is very much Lee Byrne to the Ospreys scenario and we weren't particularity pleased at that one. 

He's a great talent, but I'm quite uncomfortable cannibalizing another regions talent for our own gain, as excellent as he is. 
I honestly couldn't care what other teams' fans think. It's a market. It has worked against us in the past and it will in future. There's a reason players like Seb would come to us and it's not just money.

I'm quite happy riding this particular wave.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Hadleigh is not available to Wales until the 6N.

I'd be disappointed to see him selected, not on merit, but the fact Wales needs to take a 30 year New Zealander in to the squad in front of any young talent.
available December 2nd wil but totally agree,we have enough young centres in wales,hadleigh wouldn't be the same with howley.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 9:26pm
Surely we should be giving players like Watkin & Owen Williams the chance before Parkes. He has been a great signing for the Scarlets and a large part of that is down to his all season availability.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Spider-Man
Can Gardiner, Nicky Thomas or Kruger play  on the loose head? We are fairly well off for tight heads and hookers and also, second rows and we've got give Condy a chance at 8. You've left out Aled  at 9.
We've also got Tom Williams, Corey Baldwin, Ryan Conbeer, Tom Grabham, Ioan Nicholas and , Tom Phillips.
I haven't yet included Rhys Fawcett as although some of the backs are even younger we know it takes much longer for props to mature and they'll probably be up against some pretty gnarled old specimens.
So the situation isn't too bad so long as there are no serious injuries in key positions like 1, 8 or 10

I am sure I remember when we signed Werne that it was mentioned that he could play both sides.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 11:08pm
Diolch GPR =A front row of Werner, Emyr and Gardiner doesn't sound too bad to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 38>
  Share Topic