Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 players out of contract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 3:12pm
The lack of ability of our pack to cross the gain line means that we cannot afford to lose Ball and although l love our high speed, off-loading talents with the speed and agility of Cubby and Shingler we seriously need to beef up with incoming second rows and 8s or we will find that we can only play that one type of game regardless of conditions and opposition success in spoiling. If established international ball-carrying forwards are too expensive for our budget then we have to look further afield or for younger players to mold as it would be a shame if we had no other option against the sorts of side that proliferate in England and France. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:26pm
Assuming Barclay stays we have two non Welsh qualified vacancies brought about by Parkes' conversion to Welshness & Beirne leaving. We need to fill these two slots with ball carriers. I agree with Ffidel; we can only get so far in European competition without having a plan B. Our scrum & lineout is solid and our rolling maul is becoming a potent weapon. We lose out in not having many options to carry close to ruck & maul. 

Exeter's style of play does not excite me but I do admire their confidence when within 10-15 metres of getting over the line against anyone. This comes about through hard work, good coaching & close carrying ability. Clearly we can help ourselves a little when faced with Bath type conditions we should select Ryan & Werne to start but we are desperate for a Nathan Hughes type of player backed up by Ball & a similar overseas big un. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:55pm
  If rumour his to be believed a New Zealand lock signed and an Aussie back 5 forward a target
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

If rumour his to be believed a New Zealand lock signed and an Aussie back 5 forward a target
with neither going AWOL during test windows. Good stuff.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Ben606 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ben606 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 2:20pm
First post from a life long Scarlets fan!
Couple of thoughts on the players out of contract and budgets moving forward.

I think the ceo of the pro14 has gone on record as saying he is in negotiations to negotiate a new TV deal. Being a bit of a rugby nerd, I can that currently there are huge differences in the tv deals for the English and French leagues when compared to the pro14. I feel the competition has been undersold for a while, despite a being (and certainly now) a wider reaching competition. Despite the fact that it would be bad for me (I don’t live locally) I feel televised matches should be reduced to 3/4 a weekend and this would also help attendances (which I am delighted to see seem to be improving at the Scarlets this year)

Hopefully proposed increase revenue will help us add depth to the squad and the retain players we have.

As an aside absolutely gutted for foxy - such a class player and by all accounts a top bloke. I wouldn’t call it a sliver lining however this injury may strengthen our position in keeping foxy for the next couple of years.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 3:20pm
Welcome Ben.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:32pm
welcome Ben
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 11:30pm
Hope it's wrong, but I saw a tweet from Edinburgh supporters on twitter saying that they had heard that John Barclay had signed a 3 year deal with them.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

Hope it's wrong, but I saw a tweet from Edinburgh supporters on twitter saying that they had heard that John Barclay had signed a 3 year deal with them.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 5:47am

With this and Foxy I remember when Tuesday used to be good news day
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:25am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

This seems plausible.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:50am
I wouldn't worry about it if he leaves. Scarlets have had his best years and hopefully somebody better will come in
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 8:32am
Will be a miss for his skill and experience. On the other hand if John has been offered a 3 year deal then good luck to him as John has been a great servant to the club.
We are not short of players covering the back row. What we need is a big south sea islander with a lot of animal in him who will bully team, crucially cross the gain line giving quick ball.
As we saw against Bath where we got owned up front, we need bigger more physical carriers. Without these type of players we will never win a European title.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it if he leaves. Scarlets have had his best years and hopefully somebody better will come in

I have had a feeling that Barclay may be leaving for some time. All the talk of Moriarty means to me a high profile casualty to pay for it. John has been a great servant to the Scarlets and his intelligence, leadership and playing ability will be sorely missed. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:17am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Wow.

He's an international rugby captain and a great attribute to the club, not a PS4 game.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:21am
agree Wil, the guy is a leader of men and a quality back row player who still has plenty left in the tank.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
  Share Topic