Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Biggar signs for Northampton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 11:54am
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Agree with Chips.

Announcing the move within a week of the new season starting, when Biggar hasn't even played a game is plain odd.

Saints suffered a poor end to last season, finishing bottom half of the Aviva, just scraping into the ERC, plagued by rumours of a rotten culture within the club. They were hammered by Sarries in the opening round of the new season and now face Leicester Tigers in the East Midlands derby in Round 2 sitting plumb bottom of the table.

The Biggar deal was all but done months ago and they needed to transmit some good news to their supporters and sponsors that the Wales and Lions fly-half will, from 2018, be in the Tool Station*.

(*I think that's what he says in his Twitter video announcement, anyway Confused )

Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I wish Bigger well. He has served his home town/ Region well over some 10 years. Time for fresh challenge and to earn more dosh. He will be a long time retired and playing in the Aviva will be good for him. Opens the door at the Ospreys for Sam Davies. Off field he comes over as being a really good and articulate guy.

That's not a certainty at the moment, he could end up playing in the championship.

With the Saints form (and if it carries on a likely new coach) I'd have thought he might have been tempted to hold off a couple of months before signing on the dotted line.

Unless the money is just too good to turn down.
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 1:53pm
Ospreys' gain is definitely Saints' loss.
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I wish Bigger well. He has served his home town/ Region well over some 10 years. Time for fresh challenge and to earn more dosh. He will be a long time retired and playing in the Aviva will be good for him. Opens the door at the Ospreys for Sam Davies. Off field he comes over as being a really good and articulate guy.

That's not a certainty at the moment, he could end up playing in the championship.

With the Saints form (and if it carries on a likely new coach) I'd have thought he might have been tempted to hold off a couple of months before signing on the dotted line.

Unless the money is just too good to turn down.

It's not that long ago that director of rugby Jim Mallinder was being spoken of as a possible England coach. it really is a case of roosters to feather dusters in pro sport, isn't it?
A change will do Biggar no harm - he's been ages with the Os, and they have Sam as a replacement. never really been my sort of 10, but can be effective on his day - and brave, fair play.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:39am
Love him or hate him, nobody can argue that he has given his all to the Ospreys for about 10 years. Financially, he can not turn it down, rugby wise, I think, and i have always said he is perfectly suited for English rugby - especially Northampton. If they get their wish and get Webb as well, they could be worth a bet for glory if the pack performs. 

As others have said, announcing the move now is baffling. 

I do however sense that all is not great at Liberty - interview not so long ago Tandy stating he always argues with Biggar on the training field...was a bit of an odd comment. whether he meant somehting else but worded it wrong i dont know, but few weeks - maybe less - Biggar announces a move away for next season before even starting for Ospreys this season. Odd. 

najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Love him or hate him, nobody can argue that he has given his all to the Ospreys for about 10 years. Financially, he can not turn it down, rugby wise, I think, and i have always said he is perfectly suited for English rugby - especially Northampton. If they get their wish and get Webb as well, they could be worth a bet for glory if the pack performs. 

I do however sense that all is not great at Liberty - interview not so long ago Tandy stating he always argues with Biggar on the training field...was a bit of an odd comment. whether he meant somehting else but worded it wrong i dont know, but few weeks - maybe less - Biggar announces a move away for next season before even starting for Ospreys this season. Odd. 

What do you mean?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

What do you mean?

I'm not PE SA, so can only guess... presumably, that Biggar is very good at playing a structured game based on territory and possession... a very good tactical and goal kicker. Many English sides want to play this way... Northampton used to have Paul Grayson at 10... more recently they've had Myler, who is described thus on Saints' website:

"Myler has established himself as the first choice fly half with his expert game management and high quality place kicking which has helped the Saints to many important victories over the years."

Myler is getting on in years, so presumably Biggar is seen as a like-for-like replacement - a solid player, but not a dancing master or searing break-maker. It seems to be the type of player Saints like.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

What do you mean?

I'm not PE SA, so can only guess... presumably, that Biggar is very good at playing a structured game based on territory and possession... a very good tactical and goal kicker. Many English sides want to play this way... Northampton used to have Paul Grayson at 10... more recently they've had Myler, who is described thus on Saints' website:

"Myler has established himself as the first choice fly half with his expert game management and high quality place kicking which has helped the Saints to many important victories over the years."

Myler is getting on in years, so presumably Biggar is seen as a like-for-like replacement - a solid player, but not a dancing master or searing break-maker. It seems to be the type of player Saints like.

So if that is the "English way", what is the Welsh way?  (Or Scots way, Irish way, French way, Italian way etc?)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:25pm

What do you mean?

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 1em 0px; -webkit-hyphens: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb117, 117, 117;">"Myler has established himself as the first choice fly half with his expert game management and high quality place kicking which has helped the Saints to many important victories over the years."

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 1em 0px; -webkit-hyphens: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb117, 117, 117;">

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 1em 0px; -webkit-hyphens: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb117, 117, 117;">Myler is getting on in years, so presumably Biggar is seen as a like-for-like replacement - a solid player, but not a dancing master or searing break-maker. It seems to be the type of player Saints like.

Spot on. This is what I meant.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:29pm

What do you mean?

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 1em 0px; -webkit-hyphens: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb117, 117, 117;">"Myler has established himself as the first choice fly half with his expert game management and high quality place kicking which has helped the Saints to many important victories over the years."

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 1em 0px; -webkit-hyphens: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb117, 117, 117;">

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 1em 0px; -webkit-hyphens: auto; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb117, 117, 117;">Myler is getting on in years, so presumably Biggar is seen as a like-for-like replacement - a solid player, but not a dancing master or searing break-maker. It seems to be the type of player Saints like.

So if that is the "English way", what is the Welsh way?  (Or Scots way, Irish way, French way, Italian way etc?)

I thought everyone knew that phrase when expressing "the English way", or "typical English style of rugby".
They won a World Cup with it and many a 6N championship etc. It's been their style for years and many clubs in England still play like that.
Biggar to me is perfect for that style.
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 4:44pm
Surely the worst kept secret in rugby.
Rubs a lot of fans up the wrong way, especially round here, but in fairness to him he has worked hard to make the most of his natural talent,and after his faultless kicking at Twickenham in Sep 2015 I can't help but wish him well.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:33pm

What do you mean?

I thought everyone knew that phrase when expressing "the English way", or "typical English style of rugby".
They won a World Cup with it and many a 6N championship etc. It's been their style for years and many clubs in England still play like that.
Biggar to me is perfect for that style.

LOL, before Eddie Jones came along England only won one 6N after their World Cup victory.  People may all hail English rugby at both club and country level now, but for many years it was actually very mediocre at both levels - certainly relative to England's unrivalled player numbers, wealth and resources at any rate.  (English clubs were the main driver - for good and for ill - behind the replacement of the Heineken Cup with the European Cup, since they saw the former as an Irish-French duopoly).
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:32am
Is there a point to this?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Is there a point to this?
no point at all. The post questioned what I meant by english style/way...tried to explain, in no way have I bigged up the English in my explanation and no way did I have a dig at Biggar...seems like the poster did not like my post or simply failed to understand it. 

Biggar will be a huge loss for the Ospreys, but it will be interesting what they do now. Do they continue to pick Sam Davies at 10 to nurture him for next season? Or still go with Biggar in a season where his commitment may be questioned by some as he has stated he is leaving before even training with the Ospreys for this season!

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 4:48pm
I don't think anyone will question Biggar's committment to the cause. I would think that the O's will use him just like we used Liam when we knew he was leaving. From last Saturday's game they need him at the helm. I am afraid Sam is finding his spot in the limelight a little daunting. He will get over it because he is too good a player but he must learn that he hasn't got to give a try scoring pass every time and the O's in general need to know when & when not to chase a game. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 6:46pm
O's brought him on in the 78th minute today. Mystifying.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic