Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Centre pairing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Absolutely right to call out our centre options....with 4 players all playing for 2 shirts ( actually it's 3 players playing for 1 shirt...Foxy is in the form 13 in world rugby and by some distance) ...and I mean no disrespect to Steff Hughes by excluding him there. Players know that one poor game and they could well forfeit the shirt. Happy days for a coach really.

There are no sacred cows in this squad, the players respect the selection criteria ( something we have been rank at in the past..either picking on reputation or standing in some cases).

It does seem to be data driven now, which is excellent. Removes any idea of favourites from players minds and lets them concentrate on working to improve.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:44am
All over the field it is a squad collective. Everyone knows from our most famous star - Foxy to the new boys - Rhys Jones, Asquith etc that no-one will win trophies unless all buy into the team ethic. Management are to be trusted in selection decisions full stop.
Sarnian scarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnian scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:08am
Apologies if my initial post sounded like a huge criticism of SW whom I rate very highly and it certainly wasn't a criticism of the team who have been magnificent in the first two games. I was just raising the point of the best centre pairing as things stand currently.....
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Sarnian scarlet Sarnian scarlet wrote:

So what to do with foxy possibly available for Ulster next Friday as Scott has had a difficult start to the season. At the moment SW looks very hesitant and his passing is below key. Can't see how we can leave HP out of the starting line up
Foxy nailed on at 13 in our first choice starting lineup. Not sure if he should start or come off the bench for his first game.  I don't get your point about SW though.  Did he make any more errors that Parkes yesterday?  I don't think so. In what was a difficult night for open rugby, I thought he was as influential as anybody, particularly in the last 20 mins when we broke loose.  

You do have a point about not being able to leave Parkes out of the starting lineup - who would be a coach eh.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Man of the match is getting harder and harder, because everyone to a man is putting a good shift of graft and gile in.

I am not worried who plays, you saw from Boyds performance, there is no drop off in standards.

Surely Rawlins Mcloed and Elias have shown us this.

Enjoy this guys. This is some of the best rugby we have ever played since ive been watching the scarlets.

30yrs!

I agree with you entirely, but I'd also add Bullbring, Kruger and Wyn Jones to the 3 whom you have mentioned above. I'll stick my neck out here, but given a run I think Asquith will be added to that list very quickly.

I'd also say that Boyde shone for me last night. He was my MOM.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.
I know we haven't seen a lot of him and it's big shoes to fill but Asquith seems to have the quick feet and range of passing for a 12 in the style that Pivac seems to be developing. And with Foxy at 13 if he comes back in form could expand our game even further....
With a pack providing good quick ball and a backline to think on their feet, it can only get better
shame there isn't an emoticon for deluded W*****.Angry
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:50am
For me parkes and foxy have to be our starting centres in Europe. Foxy is nailed on and picking on what I have seen so far this season then parkes is mr consistency ans scott has looked off the pace in attack.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:14pm
Although Rhys Jones played well when he came on, like all the others from the bench, I think 10 is the position where we are most vulnerable if a couple of injuries hit us. In that respect, if Asquith has any experience in that position, he has far too many skills to spend his time with us permanently on the bench, and it would make sense to give him a start in that position before long, before each game becomes a "must win".
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:15pm
Its testimony to how far we've come on that we have competition for places all across the squad but yeah centre must give the coaches some headaches. For those not at the last meet the coaches it was a facinating insight into selection for the last 2 games last year. This is how it goes re the backs, Byron looks at defence, tackles made, tackles missed. Probably he looks at the impact in the collisons etc. Stevo looks at offence, passing, breaks, yards gained try assists etc. Foxy was on fire so he was in, which left a choice between Scott and Hadleigh. Byron because he's defence coach went Hadleigh, Stevo because he's attack went Scott so that left the casting vote to Pivac. They spent days over this such was the headache. But as the last 2 games were more like test matches than Pro 12 games he went for Scott because has shown at test level that he can produce it on the big occassion. The result being Scott makes a break against Leinster-Try, Scott makes a break against Munster-Try.

Whilst we all will have our opinions on who's the best and this 'is' the place to discuss it, we must however strive not to be rude or disrespectful to any of our boys and ultimately we and the players have to respect the coaches selection. Why? because they've earned it.

I'm sure there will be many such selection headaches this season and long may that continue.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:22pm
We are stacked at centre. Parkes on the bench, play Foxy, if he can only manage a half then bring on Parkes.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Sarnian scarlet Sarnian scarlet wrote:

So what to do with foxy possibly available for Ulster next Friday as Scott has had a difficult start to the season. At the moment SW looks very hesitant and his passing is below key. Can't see how we can leave HP out of the starting line up

No brainer at the moment - Parkes on the wing and McNichol at 15. Halfpenny hasn't earned his place in a first choice line up in the slightest yet.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.
I know we haven't seen a lot of him and it's big shoes to fill but Asquith seems to have the quick feet and range of passing for a 12 in the style that Pivac seems to be developing. And with Foxy at 13 if he comes back in form could expand our game even further....
With a pack providing good quick ball and a backline to think on their feet, it can only get better
shame there isn't an emoticon for deluded W*****.Angry

Don't be an idiot. He's perfectly entitled to his opinion. Its also perfectly fair to say that Scott has not had a good start and Asquith is looking full of potential in a number of positions.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:47pm
Foxy to bench at best, maybe just waterboy. Let him make his return at Y Parc. Parkes and Williams at centre and same subs as in Italy. Halfpenny to start at fullback.
Keep the faith
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 12:53pm
for me I wouldnt put Foxy in from start. I would bring him on 2nd half. same with HP. Grabam looked bigger than i remember him in an Os shirt.

I would Play HP out on the wing, as he was pretty ponderous coming into the line from full back.

Jonny and Steph are lethal at the moment. They also have good form games under their belts going to Ravenhill.

Our pack look the best they've ever looked regardless of personnel. Impressed with Price when he came on. Really added good power and energy at maul time.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 1:11pm
Scott has not shone this season but he has the class to come through. 
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 1:36pm
My head is spinning already thinking about selection for Ulster. But this is what Ive come uip with:-

15 1/2p
14 McNicholl
13 Parkes
12 Scott
11 Steff
10 Patch
9   Cawdor
8  Barclay- will he be fit though, neck/shoulder looked really sore last night
7  Boyde
6  Shingler
5  Beirne
4  Ball
3  Samson
2  Elias
1  Rob Evs

16 Wyn
17 Ken
18 Werner
19 Bulbring
20 Josh
21 Evans
22 Asquith
23 Foxy

My thinking being Scott, Hadleigh and Ryan are match fit. I would go with the intention of keeping Patch on the field for 80. If he got injured I'd put Parkes at 10. Here's an interesting thought, can Asquith play 10? That would give us all sorts of options, and to be fair to him his cameo appearances so far have been pretty damn good.

Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic