Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Centre pairing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnian scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centre pairing
    Posted: 09 September 2017 at 10:52pm
So what to do with foxy possibly available for Ulster next Friday as Scott has had a difficult start to the season. At the moment SW looks very hesitant and his passing is below key. Can't see how we can leave HP out of the starting line up
Sponsored Links

scarletsmad_87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsmad_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:21pm
I think we should start with Parkes and Foxy in the centre against Ulster. Possibly have Scott on the bench or give him the weekend off to spend with the family. 
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Sarnian scarlet Sarnian scarlet wrote:

So what to do with foxy possibly available for Ulster next Friday as Scott has had a difficult start to the season. At the moment SW looks very hesitant and his passing is below key. Can't see how we can leave HP out of the starting line up

I don't get this...we've scored 98 points in 2 games, had bonus point wins for the last 5 matches and we refer to one of our leading centres as "looking very hesitant"? Ouch

Obviously we should have put 60 points per match past both sides this season.

I'd start with the line up as is and have Foxy on the bench....what a guy to come on at a later stage?

I'm not saying that this would be our starting pairing in Europe as I think that has to be Foxy and Scott but........
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 1:06am
I thought Scott had a very good game tonight and straightened the line a lot, brought structure back to the attack, and tooks a lot of inside channel ball which i don't think is best use of his skills.

I expected Parkes to do more of the inside work, but it didn't happen.

Scott also can change speed quickly, which Parkes cannot in the same league and he retains possession really well.  He is an excellent all round player.
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 2:50am
Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.
I know we haven't seen a lot of him and it's big shoes to fill but Asquith seems to have the quick feet and range of passing for a 12 in the style that Pivac seems to be developing. And with Foxy at 13 if he comes back in form could expand our game even further....
With a pack providing good quick ball and a backline to think on their feet, it can only get better
seany61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seany61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:19am
Good bit of trolling from Feverpitch there
Think, Think, Think .... Its a thinking game.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Is it only me or is Scott just an ordinary player, lucky to be an international.. his passing is ordinary at best and he doesn't have a kicking game. Best attribute is the defensive qualities and confrontational straightenining of the line, in short nothing skillfull.
I know we haven't seen a lot of him and it's big shoes to fill but Asquith seems to have the quick feet and range of passing for a 12 in the style that Pivac seems to be developing. And with Foxy at 13 if he comes back in form could expand our game even further....
With a pack providing good quick ball and a backline to think on their feet, it can only get better

Priceless - some people don't have a clue; but we're all entitled etc etc. Our stable of centres has improved with the addition of Asquith who looks to be an intelligent all round footballer. He & Hadleigh will form an effective partnership during International windows when I am sure the lucky Scott will add to his already impressive number of caps. He is a very important cog in our midfiield, he keeps the opposition defence honest with his array of skills. For sure he makes mistakes who doesn't but to describe him as ordinary is laughable.

I have never seen an ordinary player score the type of try that Scott scored against the Quins in Europe a few seasons back - absolute class.
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:39am
In the same way that a little wing needs to be Shane-Williams-brilliant to be worth choosing, a box-of-tricks centre needs to be Regan-King-brilliant to be a better option than a first-choice international centre.

Scott has an excellent classic passing range and accuracy. He just doesn't use many disguises passes.
He breaks tackles with acceleration, strength and/or a step.
His decision making is sound and he tends to play 'heads up' rugby.
His defence is solid, not only in terms of tackling but also positional play.

I rate him above some of the centres who went with the Lions.

Asquith can't be rated until we have tight games against major sides like Leinster, Munster or Glasgow.
These matches have been warm-ups for the Ulster match.
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:42am
Scotty is a class act but I'd give him a weekend at home with his new family.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:42am
Man of the match is getting harder and harder, because everyone to a man is putting a good shift of graft and gile in.

I am not worried who plays, you saw from Boyds performance, there is no drop off in standards.

Surely Rawlins Mcloed and Elias have shown us this.

Enjoy this guys. This is some of the best rugby we have ever played since ive been watching the scarlets.

30yrs!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:43am
Seem to recall a cracking chip kick by Scott against England in 2012 Which resulted with us winning, hadn't it been for Scott we wouldn't have won that game. He threw one intercept pass which is always the risk when we play as flat as we do, thought he had a great game yesterday and seemed full of energy compared to last week? Baby duties no doubt haha. There are plenty of ordinary centres but Scott ain't one of them! I thought Ken and foxy were back for the Edinburgh game anyway?
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:48am
The pass cam when nothing was on the result. We had the bpw wrapped up.

If you wanna moan about a dodgy perfomance watch the Ulster Treviso game, Dan Jones the ref carried them to victory. They were hesitant and sloppy all over the park and Treviso dominated posession in the second half.

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

I hope this is trolling. Otherwise it shows remarkable ignorance on the part of the poster.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:00am
Trolling grom early morning, but It isn t the 1 of april..
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:06am
Ulster & Leinster & us are the playoff teams really. We need to bag away wins against at least one of them to make top 2.

I'd go fully loaded with carriers on Friday. We won't be able to play as much Harlem Globetrotter stuff in Ravenhill - at least not in the 1st half.

This is a game for Foxy, Ken and Jake to punch holes in. I'd honestly consider Parkes off the bench. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:27am
Absolutely right to call out our centre options....with 4 players all playing for 2 shirts ( actually it's 3 players playing for 1 shirt...Foxy is in the form 13 in world rugby and by some distance) ...and I mean no disrespect to Steff Hughes by excluding him there. Players know that one poor game and they could well forfeit the shirt. Happy days for a coach really.

There are no sacred cows in this squad, the players respect the selection criteria ( something we have been rank at in the past..either picking on reputation or standing in some cases).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic