Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zen and the art of supporting Scarlets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zen and the art of supporting Scarlets
    Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:12am
Has anyone else developed an almost Buddhist feeling of inner calm whilst watching us play? I used to be a bag of nerves but now I'm like na no problem we'll win this, is this what confidence feels like?
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
Sponsored Links

kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:28am
probably got more to do with the amount of guinnness you consume colin.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by solihullscarlet solihullscarlet wrote:

Has anyone else developed an almost Buddhist feeling of inner calm whilst watching us play? I used to be a bag of nerves but now I'm like na no problem we'll win this, is this what confidence feels like?

Yup. Strong teams never think they're going to lose, which helps them take the right decisions late in the game when behind on the scoreboard - the ABs never think the game is lost until the final whistle. Watching Wales in the 5N used to be like that in the 70s, with Benny, Gareth, Gerald, JPR, Grav and the rest - we just never expected to lose, and rarely did. I can honestly say that, last season, I fully expected the Scarlets to beat Leinster and Munster, despite the historical precedents being all against that happening. Booking a hotel in Dublin for the final cost an arm and a leg, but it was well worth it - and the zen-like confidence that we'd win made it seem an obvious decision!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Yup. Strong teams never think they're going to lose, which helps them take the right decisions late in the game when behind on the scoreboard - the ABs never think the game is lost until the final whistle. Watching Wales in the 5N used to be like that in the 70s, with Benny, Gareth, Gerald, JPR, Grav and the rest - we just never expected to lose, and rarely did. I can honestly say that, last season, I fully expected the Scarlets to beat Leinster and Munster, despite the historical precedents being all against that happening. Booking a hotel in Dublin for the final cost an arm and a leg, but it was well worth it - and the zen-like confidence that we'd win made it seem an obvious decision!

Yes this squad have a degree of togetherness & confidence in their ability to find that extra gear that is very reassuring to us supporters. They haven't reached the level of Saracens shall I say but they are progressing. My confidence level won't I am afraid stop me being on the edge of my seat Friday night. I do fancy our chances because I think we are a better team given the rub of the green and sensible officiating. 
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 12:58pm
Still a nervous wreck, but at least now watch the entire game Smile
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Yes this squad have a degree of togetherness & confidence in their ability to find that extra gear that is very reassuring to us supporters. They haven't reached the level of Saracens shall I say but they are progressing. My confidence level won't I am afraid stop me being on the edge of my seat Friday night. I do fancy our chances because I think we are a better team given the rub of the green and sensible officiating. 

Well there you have it .......Ouch
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:27pm
I agree. The calmness that comes with knowing that your team will probably win is priceless!
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:46pm
Excellent post Colin. Yes its a strange sensation. One which we need to embrace.

I do feel that even the players are out doing the fans in terms of creating an atmosphere tho.

The terrace for one reason or another over the years is a shadow of its former raucous self. The players on numerous occasions post match have put fans to shame with renditions of Yma o Hyd and Sospan Fach.

All with more passion and gusto than a semi concious new tanner bank.

Its about time things changed. Where are the chants and songs that should be givingt this current crop the same sort of backdrop as the famous teams from the 2000s 90s and 70s?
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

probably got more to do with the amount of guinnness you consume colin.

Lol cos when we were crap I was tea total.
#Scarletsdrovemetodrink
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 7:28pm
Col, great thread.

Inner calm descended on me at the Aviva for the final.

Building on the stupendous champagne stuff that started in Connacht and continued to be consistent and defy expectation in equal measure, seeing the guy's warm up in Dublin convinced me we would win.

Long may we continue in this fashion.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 7:29pm
It's up to everyone attending to create that atmosphere.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Col, great thread.

Inner calm descended on me at the Aviva for the final.

Building on the stupendous champagne stuff that started in Connacht and continued to be consistent and defy expectation in equal measure, seeing the guy's warm up in Dublin convinced me we would win.

Long may we continue in this fashion.

Yes indeed - following on the Connacht and Os games, the wins in Ireland seemed a natural continuation!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic