Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coetzee and Piutau out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 5:51pm
They looked very beatable against Treviso. Ravenhill rain wont worry us. Or the crowd. Reffing has improved last few years to what it was.

If Treviso can starve them of posession, then there is no reason why we cannot.
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:02pm
I'd have settled for just Henderson being out. Whoever turns out for them however will be fired up. The defending champions coming to Belfast on a Friday night can always rely on a passionate welcome. Fancy us though, should be a cracker.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:28pm
personey has started pretty well at 9 for them, big boots of pienaar to fill. 

coetzee didnt play against treviso did he?

missing lots of big names yes but can still field likes of ludik, trimble, bowe, mccloskey will come at us hard, as will stockdale im sure. 

IF Scarlets can get on top up front it be an interesting encounter. Think Scarlets will have the upper hand in front 5?

Edited by ChrisX - 12 September 2017 at 7:42pm
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:41pm
That is a lot of quality missing but it is still Ulster at home with possibly the leagues most effective 16th man and plenty of quality still in the squad.
Bryn@man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:44pm
Massive massive game... Only a fool would underestimate even an out of form not quite first XV Ulster playing at Ravenhill or whatever they call it these days. Roll on Friday...
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:49pm
Two big losses for them, along with their Lions that won't feature, but still, they'll be, and are, a very tough side to beat at home. More than confident that we can do the job, they won't relish facing us.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:08pm
To answer some of the above:
Lions rested on IRFU player welfare programme.
Coetzee and Piutau also missed Treviso last week.
personey and Lealiifano looking surprisingly good especially the former.
Can I take the 16th man comment as a compliment?

Much unrest about the selections so far this season. Not only the lack of availability of players, but also who is selected and especially WHERE they are selected. Bowe at 13 and Diack at lock are 2 examples.

Based on last week, this is going to have to be a massive turnaround in precision and dynamism on our side to even make this a contest.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:10pm
Personey = c oon ey
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:33pm
ref is italian marius mitrea?
Bryn@man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by BRulster BRulster wrote:

Imagine there'll be a few decisions and TMO referrals influenced as a result of the home crowd. Also that mascot of yours Sparky(?) was a handful.... The old Ravenhill was a great ground to visit, quite intimidating. Haven't had the pleasure of a visit since you went all corporate...
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:46pm
Ulster may be missing some star names on Friday but will still put out a quality side against Scarlets will be cracking game to watch
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:20pm

Much unrest about the selections so far this season. Not only the lack of availability of players, but also who is selected and especially WHERE they are selected. Bowe at 13 and Diack at lock are 2 examples.

Based on last week, this is going to have to be a massive turnaround in precision and dynamism on our side to even make this a contest.

Ulster away is still a bit of a bogey for us. With your missing players I think we have the ability there for a fairly comfortable win this time, but it's all in the execution on the day.
We certainly can't throw the wild passes around with your backline. 

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:23pm

Hi BRulster welcome back to our forum. The decisions you refer to are a little confusing especially Diack at 5. He is a fine lineout back rower but does not possess the bulk for the row. I, rightly or wrongly, see our front 5 as being our game winner with your front row being a little flaky. I don't see them as much as you but that is where I see our chance. Your back 5 whoever plays will make a game of it but if your front 5 don't get parity it could be a long evening. 
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:14am
BRulster. Yes the 16th man comment was certainly meant as a compliment, I would love to have that kind of full house for our home games.

Edited by 2ndtimeround - 13 September 2017 at 1:15am
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:07am
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

ref is italian marius mitrea?

An excellent choice. It's the TMO that worries meWink

The pro Irish bias really surfaces more at Ulster than elsewhere.

Can't blame you, with a billion pounds coming your wayEvil Smile
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:30am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Hi BRulster welcome back to our forum. The decisions you refer to are a little confusing especially Diack at 5. He is a fine lineout back rower but does not possess the bulk for the row. I, rightly or wrongly, see our front 5 as being our game winner with your front row being a little flaky. I don't see them as much as you but that is where I see our chance. Your back 5 whoever plays will make a game of it but if your front 5 don't get parity it could be a long evening. 

The back row has actually been the major problem over recent times, but we saw a taste of a proper back row v cheetahs (henry, coetzee and deysel) but that only lasted one game. The front 5 have been the lesser problem and our best front 5 can hold their own (notwithstanding that our props can still be in trouble if they meet the wrong man). Once the subs start plodding on (in Rodney Ah You'd case, quite literally), it becomes a problem.
And of course that is predicated by Kiss picking our best front 5 in the first place. His selection has been inexplicable at times.

Backline suffers from static ball going backwards and persistence of tactics refusing to play a territorial game. Bowe is frankly an idiotic choice at 13, even if we had not better centres fit and ready to go.
I await the team announcement or Ripley's Believe It Or Not as it is fast becoming.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic