FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Ulster (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets team vs. Ulster (a)
    Posted: 15 September 2017 at 6:59pm
Right, I'm away to the game. 

May the best team win, and may that team be Ulster! 

Enjoy the game lads.
Sponsored Links

Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Pilgrim / BRulster.
What's the opinion in Ulster on Peel as a backs coach?

Early days, but seems to be fairly positive. Hard to judge by what players say, but the comments have been positive. If the Cheetahs game is a fair judge then I would have to say he's a very good coach. Inventive, attacking and risk taking. What else would you expect from a Scarlets man? 

Thumbs up from me.

Edited by Pilgrim - 15 September 2017 at 6:55pm
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 6:46pm
Pilgrim / BRulster.
What's the opinion in Ulster on Peel as a backs coach?
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Pilgrim Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by Pilgrim Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Ulster fans were expecting Bowe to start at 13 - they're now much more confident with Marshall starting. On their forum Bowe was referred to as a "revolving door former Lion."

Very happy to see Marshall replacing Bowe, and Ludik to FB. Two good wings in Stockdale and Trimble, and the backrow is as strong as could expect without Coetzee. Overall I'm happy that we are putting out as strong a side as we can, but bench is weak. Scarlets still the favourites for this game. 

Whatever happens, enjoy the game and hope all travelling Scarlets enjoy their stay.

A fair summing up.

I'm delighted the Scarlets have gone all out to pick a team that can win in a difficult place to get a result... Ulster look pretty good, considering those missing for various reasons... I'm not that well up on the Ulster squad - our front 5 would seem to be the area where Scarlets might expect to have the biggest advantage, but maybe that's an ignorant comment.

Well it was until Ulster Rugby confirmed Deysel is now out of the squad Ermm 
Much, much, tougher now.

I'm not sure how the withdrawal of your 8 weakens your front 5, but maybe you can enlighten me...Smile

My response was to your comment; "A fair summing up", and not the front 5. 

I honestly don't know what to expect from our front 5. With Gibbes as coach I'm hoping for improvement, and this evening will be a real test of that. We will probably have parity until the bench comes on, and then fold. 

If we had Best and Henderson back I would be fairly confident our front 5 could match the Scarlets throughout the game (not having to rely on the current bench), but that's wishful thinking. You play the cards you're dealt. Same with any side. 

This evening is about remembering Nevin Spence for us Ulster folk, and I do expect Ulster to raise their game and fight tooth and nail. Anything less would be hugely disappointing for different reasons. If Ulster do give it their all, and if the support raise the roof, we might just squeak a win, so I'm not without hope.

Edited by Pilgrim - 15 September 2017 at 6:46pm
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think this will be our bring us back down to earth game with a loss. Not being negative just how I see it.

I hate to agree but I just have this niggly feeling that somewhere along the way we are going to get cocky and over confident and "cop a backlash" and I just hope against hope it ain't tonight.

We never seem to cope with the favourite tag somehow.

On paper it should be a no brainer but..........

Anyway fingers crossed and looking forward to making contact and catching up with whoever has come across to support. ;-)
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think this will be our bring us back down to earth game with a loss. Not being negative just how I see it.

I was hoping that we had that in Gloucester, and that the boys won't repeat the mistake again so soon.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:33pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

I can never go so far as to make us firm favourites for a win in Ulster.

It may be the toughest away trip in the Pro14.

But I think we have a great chance to be in the mix tonight.

I share your reservations; we are still getting used to the favourite's tag and it doesn't sit easy. Now if we were Saracens supporters we would be thinking it was a banker - them missing 5 starting players - 4 up front us missing 1. These are the sort of games we need to win, not comfortably but win without too many scares.  It's all part of the journey to becoming a great team. 

I know what you both mean... it won't be easy. I'm a bit reassured that the weather forecast is for a dry evening in Belfast (though if it's like West Wales, they'll have had a lot of rain in the last 12 hours or so). Plus, the boys showed v Zebre that they can play in the wet - and in the final v Munster for that matter.

Let's go in confident, but not cocky or arrogant. Work hard, take our chances, and we should have enough.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:10pm
Ulster always seem to start season well then fall off as the season progresses.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

I share your reservations; we are still getting used to the favourite's tag and it doesn't sit easy. Now if we were Saracens supporters we would be thinking it was a banker - them missing 5 starting players - 4 up front us missing 1. These are the sort of games we need to win, not comfortably but win without too many scares.  It's all part of the journey to becoming a great team. 
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:01pm

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:55pm
Brian Moore didn't have an easy upbringing.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Butler likes to tease PItbull into reaction and it usually works! Not a man with great patience and still got a lot of aggression to burn up 😁

With reason, if you know anything about his childhood. I respect the guy.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:28pm
Butler likes to tease PItbull into reaction and it usually works! Not a man with great patience and still got a lot of aggression to burn up 😁
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Great opportunity for us tonight to get an away win against a very good side, excellently coached by one of our own. Raven Hill and Ulster will always pose a formidable threat though. Despite their playing squad, they've had a similar start to us. We can definitely win this, but we have to be 100% committed or we'll come unstuck very quickly.

Got to also remember that tonight could be a very emotional night and that could be a key factor for Ulster in that it is 5 years to the day apparently since the tragic death of Nevin Spence so it's factors like this that can be pivotal at times.

We do need to be beware of any "Do it for Nevin" factor. Hopefully the Coaches and everyone surrounding the Scarlets squad will be aware of this.

It doesn't take much to get the Ulstermen stamping up and down in some totemic mission so we need to be beware that we don't get caught in the emotion.
van jaarsveld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van jaarsveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:21pm

Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Jim Neilly is truly a legend for all sorts of mixed reasons.

Yes he does let his enthusiasm get in the way of the truth/facts at times and he is so one eyed at times that he could almost be an honourable member of our lot but.......if you are a home fan he's just exactly what you want to see behind the mic as he does mobilize the troops and get them going.

To be honest wouldn't we just love it if we had a TV Pundit who lets his home enthusiasm get in the way of the facts and was just a terrific cheerleader.

I suppose he's a bit like an older bearded version of the Quinn really.

yes if you're a visiting fan he annoys the heck out of at times but afterwards you can at least have a good laugh over a pint over it.

No malice there just a  bit of clumsy over enthusiasm at times.

Now some of the pundits BBC NI get involved...now they can be a tad delusional at times but hey as I said, we'd love it if a few more of our BBC Wales Pundits were as rabidly pro Scarlet at times.

Yes,indeed. And as I said, the S4C guys tend to be a bit more one-eyed (in a pro-Welsh way) than those on English language commentary!

Another pundit I like is Brian Moore - except when England are playing... he is definitely one-eyed, but also very knowledgable about the scrum, so he usually calls it right even when his 'own' team is coming off second best... there's some basic decency and honesty in there, somewhere. The banter between posh Welshman Eddie Butler and rough-hewn Englishman Moore used to be a 6N highlight.
Yes I agree, Butler and Moore are a very good combo.  I also like the BBC Alba commentary...it's like their speaking backwards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic