Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beirne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 6:46pm
Sad to lose him, he's been superb for us. That's the benefit a proper international selection policy gives you. If he were Welsh and playing in England, we'd probably pick him.

Doubt we will ever be able to recruit a replacement with the same breakdown skills as Beirne so we will need to work out how we manage that loss for next season.

Munster are being heavily linked to Coleman the Force lock and would still have Kleyn who is an excellent player as well as Holland. Tadgh may not get as many opportunities there as he may hope.

As for replacements Jimmy Tupou is available and has exceptional hands, would fit in well to our game plan although hard to tell whether he could perform in the tight in the NH. Giant Mytanda of the Kings would be a good option, but he is a bit injury prone.
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:21pm
Decent player but if he 2 wants to go let him go. No point keeping anyone against their will. Hopefully find another jake ball out there who is committed to the jersey long term

Edited by roy munster - 21 September 2017 at 8:22pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:58pm
To me Beirne is a much more influential player than Ball, even at Ball's best, which he certainly wasn't against Ulster. In fact on current form I would rate Beirne higher even than Alun-Wyn. He will take some replacing!! Only Cubby has a greater impact for us.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

To me Beirne is a much more influential player than Ball, even at Ball's best, which he certainly wasn't against Ulster. In fact on current form I would rate Beirne higher even than Alun-Wyn. He will take some replacing!! Only Cubby has a greater impact for us.

Yes I agree. Beirne does all the unglamorous stuff and is the best 4/5 over the ball apart from Itoje that I've seen. He is a very influential player & will be difficult ( not impossible) to replace. i have asked this on another thread but do you know Ffidel what has happened to Lewis Rawlins this season?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:11pm

Agree with all of that Tadgh will be a huge lost going to get better and better a real crime if the IRFU are putting pressure on him to return there to be capped .Angry
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:27pm

That is way over the top. He's not played a test match yet, there's no way he can be compared to one of the finest locks of the modern era. Be fair on the lad
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

I worry that he will go the way of Ben though, bigger fish in a smaller pond in Wales, but suddenly more players in those positions means less game time and going backwards

If he's going, I don't really care if he goes the way of Ben. That is the gamble you take as a player sadly Cry He's been a huge asset for us last season, and I'm sure he'll deliver once again this season, but that is business unfortunately, there'll be another player like Beirne for sure, we just need to find him. At least we have a season to do that. Thumbs Up
Scarlets!!!
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Sad to lose him, he's been superb for us. That's the benefit a proper international selection policy gives you. If he were Welsh and playing in England, we'd probably pick him.

I disagree. Ireland aren`t as strong as they think they are and we saw that when they continued to pick Sexton when he went to France. Like us, Ireland are not in any position to not pick their very best players.

Unless you have a player base as big as England or New Zealand, it`s not a policy that can be strictly followed long term by the smaller nations. 

A better, fairer policy all round would be if an uncapped player currently plays outside his home nation, then he becomes an exception to the rule**. After all, in this instance, it was the Irish system that effectively released Beirne. I find it totally unfair that they should place any restrictions on his future International career and subsequent earnings from said career. A player will challenge this one day in the European courts and they will win. 

Edited by s.pimpernel - 22 September 2017 at 9:48am
In Pivac we trust
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

I disagree. Ireland aren`t as strong as they think they are and we saw that when they continued to pick Sexton when he went to France. Like us, Ireland are not in any position to not pick their very best players.

Unless you have a player base as big as England or New Zealand, it`s not a policy that can be strictly followed long term by the smaller nations. 

A better, fairer policy all round would be if an uncapped player currently plays outside his home nation, then he becomes an exception to the rule**. After all, in this instance, it was the Irish system that effectively released Beirne. I find it totally unfair that they should place any restrictions on his future International career and subsequent earnings from said career. A player will challenge this one day in the European courts and they will win. 

You make a very valid case. However Beirne doesn't have to leave. If you take away the attraction of International honours, which are not a gimme by the way, we probably cannot compete with Munster's supposed offer.
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 11:18am
I took that to mean 'the benefit to Munster' rather than the benefit to the player or the union.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

That is way over the top. He's not played a test match yet, there's no way he can be compared to one of the finest locks of the modern era. Be fair on the lad

Why didn't you highlight the "on current form"? 
I clearly wasn't comparing to the overall contribution of Alun -Wyn over many seasons and I didn't claim my opinion as fact as you normally do.
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

I took that to mean 'the benefit to Munster' rather than the benefit to the player or the union.

Yes that is exactly what I meant.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2017 at 2:50am
Lewis Rawlins was our stand out lock throughout last season, I think to beat Bath we'll need Rawlins, he needs to have Priestland in his pocket like he did with Sexton.

Beirne has started this season strongly and we'll struggle to replace him even though not so long ago he wasn't in the reckoning.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Lewis Rawlins was our stand out lock throughout last season, I think to beat Bath we'll need Rawlins, he needs to have Priestland in his pocket like he did with Sexton.

Beirne has started this season strongly and we'll struggle to replace him even though not so long ago he wasn't in the reckoning.

What has happened to Lewis - where is he?
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2017 at 9:04am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

For a second row, Beirne has a remarkable pair of hands in the loose and a great ability to make a pass. In that respect he reminds me of Chrissy Wyatt, although Wyatt did start his career in the back row and played 7s, so you`d sort of expect it from him.

Beirne has blossomed because I think under Pivac we play a type of game that plays to his strong points. He does his core job in the second row very well (exceptionally safe line out option) but also gives us a real advantage in open play, something akin to an extra flanker.

I really don`t think he`d have the freedom at Munster to play the type of game he currently plays.
In Pivac we trust
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2017 at 10:46am
He will be a big loss but in the wider context I am far more content with him going home than if he joined a club in England for another poaching on the cheap exercise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic