Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changes for Connacht?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:22pm
I dislike the anecdotal evidence presented to write off a 21 year olds prospects.

It was either he or Parkes that were going to miss out of the 23 in the run in last season. He was hardly dropped when you think about it like that.

I have no idea why Najbrictol churns up the same narrative time and again about him either, did he pinch your spot in a match day squad or something?

The only serious point I see about Dan's future is the very worrying trend of these young guys losing confidence after a head knock. See Owen Watkin and Jack Roberts, both plying their trade with Dan in the semi pros right now, after similar issues.

Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:25pm
I dont believe Pivac closed to him the door of first team, maybe staff ask to hime something more during the week and for doing the step from talent to class player and he has all the conditions to be a national 10...I like him so much and soon can we look him again with Scarlets shirt
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I dislike the anecdotal evidence presented to write off a 21 year olds prospects.

It was either he or Parkes that were going to miss out of the 23 in the run in last season. He was hardly dropped when you think about it like that.

I have no idea why Najbrictol churns up the same narrative time and again about him either, did he pinch your spot in a match day squad or something?

The only serious point I see about Dan's future is the very worrying trend of these young guys losing confidence after a head knock. See Owen Watkin and Jack Roberts, both plying their trade with Dan in the semi pros right now, after similar issues.

Very nicely summed up.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Pivac covered the Dan Jones question in the meet the coaches evening. I think Pivac said Dan's defence was being exploited and they decided to have Parkes as back up 10 as he's played 10 for Pivac in the past. He also had Stevo to work closely with Liam Williams to get his kicking up above the 60-70% mark. Dan has been given a personal task of getting his defence up to where it should be. This seasons absence has been covered by Mr Chips.

Not sure patchell is much better on tackling.
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Pivac covered the Dan Jones question in the meet the coaches evening. I think Pivac said Dan's defence was being exploited and they decided to have Parkes as back up 10 as he's played 10 for Pivac in the past. He also had Stevo to work closely with Liam Williams to get his kicking up above the 60-70% mark. Dan has been given a personal task of getting his defence up to where it should be. This seasons absence has been covered by Mr Chips.

Not sure patchell is much better on tackling.

I think Patchel has been given the same sort of personal input. He was targeted against Ulster and they had some success against him. He looks like this was address in the week as Edinburgh targeted him again, however he was a lot quicker off the mark and looked a lot better.

It was very interesting with Pivac as he discussed many selection decisions made for the end of last season where sometimes each coach had a different opinion. Nice selection options for us to have and hopefully Dan can shake off his concussion issues. The main problem is keeping everyone happy.
One to note is Aled at 9. His service is so slick and quick he gets the attack moving so much quicker than the other two, however agreed with some othet posts that he's not as much of attacking threat himself.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 4:02pm
Both Emyr Phillips and Lewis Rawlins played for Llandovery on Saturday too.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by judith judith wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

He has also said that he has had hardly any pre season minutes, recovering from a head knock and is likely to make a few starts for the Quins to get match fit.

Dan is still a young promising player. Plenty of learning and developing to do.

He will have plenty of game time soon enough.
Ye but he dropped him last season didn't he, opting to go with no ten on the bench ahead of selecting him. I rate Dan and I thought he did a good job in Patchell's absence and he's far better than Rhys Jones but that doesn't look very good for him

Did he drop him, or was it that he couldn't play because of his head knock?
Yes he dropped him
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:39pm
i'm amazed that najpricktol knows so much about our workings being an osprey fan,the other week he knew how much scott was being payed and now he is privy to pivac's thoughts,brilliant,imagine if he was a scarlet fan.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

i'm amazed that najbritcol knows so much about our workings being an osprey fan,the other week he knew how much scott was being payed and now he is privy to pivac's thoughts,brilliant,imagine if he was a scarlet fan.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:53pm
sorry about typo error.
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:08pm

Originally posted by judith judith wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

He has also said that he has had hardly any pre season minutes, recovering from a head knock and is likely to make a few starts for the Quins to get match fit.

Dan is still a young promising player. Plenty of learning and developing to do.

He will have plenty of game time soon enough.
Ye but he dropped him last season didn't he, opting to go with no ten on the bench ahead of selecting him. I rate Dan and I thought he did a good job in Patchell's absence and he's far better than Rhys Jones but that doesn't look very good for him

Did he drop him, or was it that he couldn't play because of his head knock?
Yes he dropped him

Lot being said on her about Dan today,Wil has summed it up spot on, the boy is 21,will make mistakes but who doesn't at his age...Pearsonally thought he didn't leave us down when Patch was injured and the more games he played the more confident he became..Pivac also said in the meeting last year that Dan was a sponge ( Absorded everything Steve gave him )..
  Dan was left out last 3-4 games but like Wil said it was more to do with getting your best 23 players out there,you couldn't see them leaving Parks or DTH out,one injury to Patch in them games and Dan probably comes back in..
  Dan played for the Quins last two Sat's getting game time as he came back from a failed HIA from the Bristol game the got another injury on his ankle two weeks later...

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:37pm
Thanked.

Stick to conjecture and guesswork masquerading as inside knowledge though please....these facts are blocking the flow of the forum

I sometimes forget how young these boys ( Macloed, Elias, Boyde, Steff Evs, Dan, Tom Phillips, etc ) actually are.

Edited by Wil Chips - 25 September 2017 at 7:39pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:46pm

Thanked.

Stick to conjecture and guesswork masquerading as inside knowledge though please....these facts are blocking the flow of the forum

I sometimes forget how young these boys ( Macloed, Elias, Boyde, Steff Evs, Dan, Tom Phillips, etc ) actually are.
well it isn't conjecture or guesswork when the head coach says it in public is it
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:00pm
Pivac said Dan was dropped during the run in purely on defensive stats. They'd done analysis and realised our competitors had also done their homework.
I am surprised how long Dan has been out of contention though. 

Now this IS conjecture - Pivac seems to like data driven decisions and I expect Dan has to hit certain benchmarks to get into the 23 ahead of Rhys J at the moment. 

I always thought Dan was a great 2nd choice, with the potential to be 1st choice. Sure hope that's still the plan. This is the 1st yr of a new contract I believe?
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:28pm

Thanked.

well it isn't conjecture or guesswork when the head coach says it in public is it

And that's all he said in that brief right?

Basically just writing off the guy doesn't seem like Pivac.

I find that a little odd too, given the same Pivac gave him a brand new long term deal just earlier this year.

I don't expect an O's fan to give a balanced critique, but I do expect it from a Scarlet fan. No mention of his HIA or leg injury this season, no mention that had Dan been in the 23 at the end of last season, then Parkes would have missed out, and that we could switch Jonny Mc and Sanjay, which weakened the argument for Dan to cover 10/15?

I think Dan is the pick of the young 10's we have in Wales, his game management against Saracens last year was mature beyond his years. A few works on for sure, but the talent at 21 years old is plain to see.

Be great if we nurture that talent, and if that you think I mean through coaching, its not, certain 'supporters' need no second invitation to call out a panto villain. That's usually a 10.

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:36pm
Knew about the head injury. Was unaware of the leg injury.

He seems like the bright, determined, kind of guy to work the necessary things out to hit the targets set for him.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic