Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is Dinky?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIRST AND LAST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 11:24pm
Tonight was a night for Dan Jones. No Halfpenny no points in the first half. You have to have a reliable kicker in the team at all times.

Sponsored Links

ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExileTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:24am
I watched RGC v Quins last week and Dan was the stand out player despite being targeted by the RGC forwards all game
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 8:22am
Missed kicks almost cost the match last night, so important for games like that.
And We Were Singing...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 8:41am
Dan Jones may have work ons - what 21/22 year old doesn't. For me last night's game was crying out for his skills. He is a far better all round footballer than Rhys Jones in my opinion & with Patchell obviously struggling he could have come on and made the difference.

Hopefully he is now up to speed after a limited pre-season & I would get him back in the 23 ASAP. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 11:12am
There's clearly an issue of sorts, but its not immediately apparent as the guy has played at the highest level for us already.

No dis-respect to Rhys Jones, but he's neither a 10 or 15, he is the bench cover for both. At least Dan is a 10 that covers 15...we have a lot of guys who can cover 15.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

There's clearly an issue of sorts, but its not immediately apparent as the guy has played at the highest level for us already.

No dis-respect to Rhys Jones, but he's neither a 10 or 15, he is the bench cover for both. At least Dan is a 10 that covers 15...we have a lot of guys who can cover 15.

You are correct Wil, there appears to be issues. If it's injury, then let him gain fitness with Quins. If it is confidence, then I hope that someone is working with him to address this. If it is tactical issues, then hopefully SJ is sitting down with him and doing video analysis of different situations/scenarios. 

I think that Dan is too good a player to discard. He's won us games before with his kicking and I'm sure he'll do so again. He does get greater distance with his line kicking than Patchell. That was one feature of the first half last night. We weren't getting long distances on our clearance kicks/penalties. We then had lines out on or near halfway as opposed to just outside their 22m. Result was that when we lost the ball we were in difficulties in our own half not in theirs.

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 12:20pm
Rhys Jones needs to find his confidence. Hard to do under pressure in our biggest game of the season so far, he missed a kick which could have given us a cushion. We won he has to improve or he'll be out of the team soon enough.
Dan played a big part last season and I don't know if its a fitness issue or Pivac would rather give him 70 mins or so to improve parts of his game actually playing in matches or 10/15 mins off the bench for the Scarlets.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

If we view Dan as a long term asset/prospect, tonight was the right decision.
He's a very young guy and throwing him in to a physical, niggly match against two very good half backs if he's not fully fit would have been a mistake.

Yes agreed if he's not fit it's a no brainer. He's also limited by only being able to play 10. Just highlighting the fact that in tight games his boot is an asset.
Yes you're right. He's very much in the Steve-O mould I feel, so he has no better mentor. Will be a big player for us I feel.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:29pm
According to the rugby paper Dan had a good game for the Quins yesterday in there win against Llandovery.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by FIRST AND LAST FIRST AND LAST wrote:

Tonight was a night for Dan Jones. No Halfpenny no points in the first half. You have to have a reliable kicker in the team at all times.

Patchell had not missed a kick this season until last night, Dan should be picked ahead of Rhys for me another goalkicking option his Paul Assquith .
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 3:12pm
We get a lot of info on RFC matters but very rarely on Quins and Drovers.

Given the thread, it would be very useful to have more news on both the other feeder clubs.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

You are correct Wil, there appears to be issues. If it's injury, then let him gain fitness with Quins. If it is confidence, then I hope that someone is working with him to address this. If it is tactical issues, then hopefully SJ is sitting down with him and doing video analysis of different situations/scenarios. 

I think that Dan is too good a player to discard. He's won us games before with his kicking and I'm sure he'll do so again. He does get greater distance with his line kicking than Patchell. That was one feature of the first half last night. We weren't getting long distances on our clearance kicks/penalties. We then had lines out on or near halfway as opposed to just outside their 22m. Result was that when we lost the ball we were in difficulties in our own half not in theirs.

Patch will be off with Wales for the Autumn and I expect to see Dan Jones back at 10.
I think that WP will have Asquith and Hadleigh in the centres.

He signed a long term deal last season, so there is no panic.

He will know what he has to work on, and I have got faith in the coaches in knowing what they are doing.
Page the oracle
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Patch will be off with Wales for the Autumn and I expect to see Dan Jones back at 10.
I think that WP will have Asquith and Hadleigh in the centres.

He signed a long term deal last season, so there is no panic.

He will know what he has to work on, and I have got faith in the coaches in knowing what they are doing.

Hearing WP speak at the Meet the Coaches last season, I got the impression that every player, Dan included, will be given the chance to develop. However Dan will have to show that he's making forward strides, otherwise I fear that WP will let him leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic