Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team v Toulon ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Wonder what the odds are on a second Samson try?

101-1
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

101-1
Better than the odds of him doing a drop goal I suspect 😂
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

101-1
Better than the odds of him doing a drop goal I suspect 😂

If Samson's drop goal and try are the only scores in the game we'll all be over the moon. 4pts for us and nil to Toulon !!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:00am
We are going to be able to put a more than decent team out.

The one guy who's fitness I'd have traded for anyone's is Barclay. He has the habit of really coming to the fore in these big games, and his experience in the front line is invaluable.

Realistically, I don't think we have quite enough grunt to win it, but a lbp for us, and keeping them to a 4 pt win, would be a great start to the campaign, and that is attainable for sure.

Wyn, Owens, Lee
Ball, Rawlins
Shingler, Beirne, Boyde

Cawdor
Patch
Parkes
Foxy
Steff
McNichol
Halfpenny

Dylan, Elias, Kruger
Bulbring, Macloed
Jon Evs
Scott
Rhys Hones

Edited by Wil Chips - 13 October 2017 at 7:08am
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

The one guy who's fitness I'd have traded for anyone's is Barclay. He has the habit of really coming to the fore in these big games, and his experience in the front line is invaluable.

Realistically, I don't think we have quite enough grunt to win it, but a lbp for us, and keeping them to a 4 pt win, would be a great start to the campaign, and that is attainable for sure.

Wyn, Owens, Lee
Ball, Beirne
Shingler, Macleod, Boyde

Cawdor
Patch
Parkes
Foxy
Steff
McNichol
Halfpenny

Dylan, Elias, Kruger
Bulbring, Rawlings
Jon Evs
Scott
Paul Asquith

If halfers is fit then I can see Asquith being our cover at 10.

I think we lost a lot with Beirne at 8 so would prefer them to give Macleod a shot at starting.

I agree, not quite enough grunt in the 23 to beat them BUT they have a lot of huge, ageing forwards who may struggle if we can impose our pace of game on them.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:53am
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Wyn, Owens, Lee
Ball, Beirne
Shingler, Macleod, Boyde

Cawdor
Patch
Parkes
Foxy
Steff
McNichol
Halfpenny

Dylan, Elias, Kruger
Bulbring, Rawlings
Jon Evs
Scott
Paul Asquith

If halfers is fit then I can see Asquith being our cover at 10.

I think we lost a lot with Beirne at 8 so would prefer them to give Macleod a shot at starting.

I agree, not quite enough grunt in the 23 to beat them BUT they have a lot of huge, ageing forwards who may struggle if we can impose our pace of game on them.

They had a better squad last season and we won at home and should have taken more at the away fixture.
A dry and sunny day will suit us, and the pace we play.

They don't come up against that very often so there is no reason why this squad cant win out there.ClapClap
Page the oracle
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Looking again at last year's contest with Toulon it was noticeable how much bigger, on average, the Toulon players were. Some could even be described as overweight. Now this could be their strength or weakness. If they are allowed to grind us down like the Ospreys tried to do then it will obviously be to the Scarlets detriment as Toulon have more skillful backs than the Sprays put out. On the other-hand if we manage to get our running off-loading game going they will have a job keeping up with us, so a heck of a lot depends on how fussy/influenced by the crowd the ref is. Another Lacey type and we'll struggle.
Another thing in our favour should be the weather which unless I'm mistaken is supposed to be dry and warm, with the firm ground helping Samson's amazing, sidestepping, slalom runs over the line.

My huge concern is our intensity up front from the kick off. If we start up front the way we did against the Ospreys & Ulster we will have lost the game by half time. From memory thats what cost us last season out there - we were slow out of the blocks and left ourselves too much to do. Toulon will know that is their best chance - come at us hard first 20 minutes. If we can match them in that period & stop them getting a roll on we can impose our attacking game. The longer we are in the arm wrestle the better. If we are within a score at 60 I fancy our chances. I think Tadgh's inclusion at 8 last weekend was a dry run for getting a bulkier pack out this weekend specifically to counter this first 20 minute onslaught. 
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 8:59am
From what I can see from brief highlights from this season, Toulon are trying to play a more expansive game ( have generally tried to when at home anyway) and seeing as they are not at the top of the league this year and lots of competition for pay off spots, I think they will be particularly focused on the top 14 and so will relax and enjoy themselves in Europe - which might be a problem of course as they have great backs. I expect a very free flowing game and us to win if we have best available team out.

If Wayne was being honest when he said he would have to rotate some people because of the 5-day turnaround then there is the possibility that he will field a relatively weak team this weekend and pick the strongest team for the Bath match. On Lions tour about 2 or 3 players played mid week and then the Test a few days later so hopefully he won't need to rotate too much.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 9:14am
Worryingly all the pundits seem to think we have the minerals to do this, no pressure then LOL
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Our team vs Toulon in 2014
15) Liam 14) Harry 13) Tagi 12) Scott 11) Kristian Phillips 10) Priestland 9) Aled
8) Pitman 7) Barclay 6) Shingler 5) Snyman 4) Ball 3) Samson 2) Emyr 1) Rob

Think how much stronger we are now - better wingers, centre partnership, scrum half, 8, second row, hooker.
Plus individuals like Shingler, Ball, Rob are far better players.

Watched that game back last night we had Pitman and Emyr yellow carded so we played 20 minutes with 14 men missed 5 points in kicks and lost 28-18,the turning point was a charged down kick after going 10-8 up and cost us 7 points .

I really fancy us to record a famous win on Sunday us Scarlets are coming for you !! 
Agree. When you consider the difference in the team plus that fact about the cards and also that I don't think Toulon are as good now as they were then particularly behind the scrum, we will never have a better chance.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 9:36am
I was at the game in 2014 & watched at home last year. One thing that strikes me now, particularly comparing against the 2014 team is how stronger we are 1-23. Toulon, without Wilko & Armitage in his prime at 7/8, the NZ tight head whose name escapes me now, are certainly not stronger 1-23. Of course they are hugely formidable with my favourite No 8 Isa heading the charges. On both occasions we could/should have come away with losing bonus points which suggests that Sunday could be a cracker. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 10:15am
I'd go for-
1 Wyn
2 Elias
3 Samson
4 Ball
5 Bullbring
6 Shingler
7 Boyde
8 Tadgh
9 Cawdor
10 Patch
11 Steff
12 Scott
13 Foxy
14 McNichol
15 Halfpenny

16 Ken
17 Kruger
18 Gardiner
19 Rawlins
20 Macleod
21 Aled
22 Asquith 
23 Parkes

Kruger to come on first regardless of which prop leaves first and to play loosehead  if it's Wyn
If it's Samson he goes to the tight and swaps over when Wyn leaves.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 10:35am

I'd go for-
1 Wyn
2 Elias
3 Samson
4 Ball
5 Bullbring
6 Shingler
7 Boyde
8 Tadgh
9 Cawdor
10 Patch
11 Steff
12 Scott
13 Foxy
14 McNichol
15 Halfpenny

16 Ken
17 Kruger
18 Gardiner
19 Rawlins
20 Macleod
21 Aled
22 Asquith 
23 Parkes

Kruger to come on first regardless of which prop leaves first and to play loosehead  if it's Wyn

Interesting call that Ffidel. Bulbring in front of Rawlins will add a bit more weight/grunt & going for scrummaging weight on the bench. If we can  manage to mix it with them up front we are in with more than a shout.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 11:01am

I'd go for-
1 Wyn
2 Elias
3 Samson
4 Ball
5 Bullbring
6 Shingler
7 Boyde
8 Tadgh
9 Cawdor
10 Patch
11 Steff
12 Scott
13 Foxy
14 McNichol
15 Halfpenny

16 Ken
17 Kruger
18 Gardiner
19 Rawlins
20 Macleod
21 Aled
22 Asquith 
23 Parkes

thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 11:01am

I'd go for-
1 Wyn
2 Elias
3 Samson
4 Ball
5 Bullbring
6 Shingler
7 Boyde
8 Tadgh
9 Cawdor
10 Patch
11 Steff
12 Scott
13 Foxy
14 McNichol
15 Halfpenny

16 Ken
17 Kruger
18 Gardiner
19 Rawlins
20 Macleod
21 Aled
22 Asquith 
23 Parkes

Parkes has to start if picking on form no brainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic