Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moriarty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moriarty
    Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:03pm
Some quotes here from Privac relating to the new selection policy and our willingness to pursue a contract with Ross.
Also some gossipy comments about it being a done deal, which will be announced during the AI's. (pinch of salt etc.)

If we get him, I can't imagine it will be at a knock down price, perhaps a sharpening of focus due to the new policy, which will simply hasten the signature.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-step-up-chase-ross-13782626
Joshua24:15
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:28pm
My worry, if we expect him to play like Scott Quinnell and scatter defenders in his path, is that he's not got the physique to do this without incurring  injuries fairly frequently. He's 16st3 and 6ft 2. This gives him power and acceleration, but does he have the weight to knock them over and to help in cushioning the blows?
On the other hand he would be a much more mobile forward than Quinnell, Lyons, Morgan or Nick Williams etc and maybe this is what we need with our current running/offloading game and he will only occasionally be required to barge his way across the line.
A couple of early tries and I'd probably be convinced!!!
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:35pm
We need him- he needs to come back to Wales.  Reports of Gatland suggesting that he might go to the Drags seem a bit over dramatised so who knows. His back hasn't revovered from the Lions tour so that has to be a questionmark.

Shedweb has been muttering about all matters Welsh over this for a while now but they should remember the big Ben story and shut up. Incidentally Ben has just scored a try for Glos and we've never found anyone since his departure who could do what he does.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 10:21pm
In the traditional mould he's a top notch 6 but an adequate 8. Pivac obviously doesn't see him playing a traditional 8 role, but if he does play there, where does that leave him with Wales. Faletau is obviously going to be Wales' 8 for a number of years. Does playing out of position disadvantage Moriarty?

Any chance the board could stretch to Moriarty and Faletau?

Moriarty, Faletau, Cubby looks like one helluva back row to me
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 11:31pm
An “adequate” 8? Really?
I think he’d be one of the best 8s in the league. I wouldn’t swap him for any 8 at a Welsh region that’s for sure.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 1:35am
I think Scarlets and Wales will play him at 6 and 8. You need a backup to Faletau to get strength in depth. But I would have him primarily at 8.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 2:31am
8s seem to be a bit smaller and quicker these days with the new laws
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

An “adequate” 8? Really?
I think he’d be one of the best 8s in the league. I wouldn’t swap him for any 8 at a Welsh region that’s for sure.

What does that say about the 8's at the regions? I did say in the traditional sense btw.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

My worry, if we expect him to play like Scott Quinnell and scatter defenders in his path, is that he's not got the physique to do this without incurring  injuries fairly frequently. He's 16st3 and 6ft 2. This gives him power and acceleration, but does he have the weight to knock them over and to help in cushioning the blows?
On the other hand he would be a much more mobile forward than Quinnell, Lyons, Morgan or Nick Williams etc and maybe this is what we need with our current running/offloading game and he will only occasionally be required to barge his way across the line.
A couple of early tries and I'd probably be convinced!!!

Fair comments... my only concern, really, is the fact that he has yet to play this season due to injury on 3 June. What is the nature of his injury, and how certain is it that he can make a complete recovery? I'd hate us to spend a small fortune on a player who spends most of his time on the touchline. 

So long as the injury is cleared up to everyone's satisfaction, then of course he'd be a great signing.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:44am
Not much difference between 6 and 8 these days. He's a fantastic player, but yes we'd have to feel confident about his fitness.

That Leeds to an interesting thought about the new rules on Welsh 'eligibility' - if due to concerns over injury or financial worries none of the four regions wanted to offer him even a Dual contract then what would the situation be? would WRU agree to pay a higher percentage to encourage them to take him on or what because they could be left with the situation where a fit Moriarty would not be able to play for Wales because only an English club will be prepared to offer him a contract. I don't think that will happen but it's an interesting scenario.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:53am
The traditional 8 still has a place in the modern game, but we played our best rugby for a decade last year without one.

It's your style of play that dictates the players you need and we had the perfect balance in Shingler, Cubby and Barclay. If Moriarty joined, I'd like to think he could complement that back row rather than change it.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:10am
he is a quality player, but with macloed boyde cubby shingle and Barclay the backrow is quite blessed as it is. I think macloed and boyde will develop even more so would it be wise to stunt their development by bringing in another player. I know moriarty is quality and would boost us greatly, but with our limited funs would it be worth looking at putting that money into replacing beirne?
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:26am
We are looking at replacing Beirne as well though (seems Seb Davies top of list)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

The traditional 8 still has a place in the modern game, but we played our best rugby for a decade last year without one.

It's your style of play that dictates the players you need and we had the perfect balance in Shingler, Cubby and Barclay. If Moriarty joined, I'd like to think he could complement that back row rather than change it.
Great point
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

he is a quality player, but with macloed boyde cubby shingle and Barclay the backrow is quite blessed as it is. I think macloed and boyde will develop even more so would it be wise to stunt their development by bringing in another player. I know moriarty is quality and would boost us greatly, but with our limited funs would it be worth looking at putting that money into replacing beirne?

7 games into the season and we already are without Cubby (mid-long term) and Barclay, with Boyde just coming back. Truth is, we were lucky last year with injuries and we need as many top players as we can afford.  I feel we can get away with a player like Rawlins or Tom Price at 5 (not forgetting Bullbring, who has been very good this season) but backrow is key to the way we play.

6 Shingler/Moriarty
7 Cubby/Barclay/Boyde
8 Moriarty/McLeod/Barclay

Only two out of those 6 players would miss out of the 23, and that's assuming no injuries. Moriarty would be on a NDC also, which would limit his appearances.

McLeod will turn 21 in a week also. Plenty of time to develop.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:18am
thanks exiku, ignore what I said! LOL  would love to have him with us. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic