Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moriarty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Scarletrover Scarletrover wrote:

Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by The Brain The Brain wrote:

There's rumours about rumours - Any names?

Mick Fleetwood to 2nd Row !

Ha! After that remark you can go your own way.

It's Second Hand News anyway, and it might all be Little Lies, so I Don't want to Know, at least util Monday Morning.

easy now guys I don't want to end up a peacekeeper here.

This is all going "over my head", "I'm so afraid" that we'll be "hypnotoized" during the search for new signings, all we have to do is make sure we "don't stop" and look everywhere through the "seven wonders" before achieving that "landlslide" signing ! I'm sure we're "never going back again" to the dark days "as long as you follow" the mighty Scarlets !

You're like a bloody Albatross around my neck with a post like that!

oh well,it must be quite a tusk finding the right player.

Ask Rhiannon. She’ll know.
Sponsored Links

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:27pm
His back injuries and his international commitments already put a question mark over how valuable would be for us. He's not an out and out 8 either, so I'll reserve judgement until I see who we get.

Irrespective of that and if true, he has chosen the perennial bottom of the table welsh team over the current champions. Nuff said, really.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:55pm
Apparently he's met Jackman 5 times since the start of the season.  If true he must be keen on going there.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Apparently he's met Jackman 5 times since the start of the season.  If true he must be keen on going there.

Either that or he's being stalked.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:41pm
With John Barclay going that must remove a serious senior talented 'threat' to him not playing start for all games. If it is just a stack of extra WRU money, persuading him to join the Dragons. then as Trustees of the Welsh game who are meant to set decent open values which the CEO espouses on the WRU letterhead, then just quietly shoving him more money because they can is very, very  poor stuff and renders them hypocrites to many. Embarrasses the Welsh game I feel. WRU must own up and explain fully what is going on as the backers of the Dragons. We are owed that.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:41pm
Reasons Moriarty would choose Dragons over Scarlets (or anyone else):
  • more money (quite a lot more)
  • closer to 'home' (could stay living in/near Glaws)
  • WRU 3-year vision for Dragons
  • to be Dragons' & Wales' 6 (not Scarlets' solution or Faletau's back-up at 8)
  • wants to be the central star in a reboot of the Dragons
  • not bothered about club success & silverware in the foreseeable (Glaws have been perennial underachievers in recent seasons, tbf)
If any or several of these factors come into play, he'll be minded to head to Gwent.

Pivac's overtures and admiration couldn't have been clearer, but clearly other factors are at play, and the WRU's priorities (whether or not it's seen as a conflict of interest) is to make the Dragons less unsuccessful, so players like Moriarty & North will be diverted there if possible.

Ultimately, Wayne only wants players who really, really want to play for Scarlets and fit in with the culture here. If that's not for Ross, best he goes elsewhere, although he'd absolutely thrive here if he committed.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 4:01pm
Sums it up well. No one reason is compelling, but if you combine 2 or 3 then you get a reasonable rationale.

Hardly being visionary here, but the Drags/WRU know that they have to change their own landscape for recruitment and retention, one of the quickest/easiest ways to do that is to land a big fish...on the presumption others will follow/current players are more compelled to stay.
Bit naïve, but understandable.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 4:20pm
With ongoing back issues, we may have dodged a bullet. Been said he was close to retirement during the summer after the injury that ruled him out of the lions tour (how accurate that is I don’t know).
Tiercel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiercel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

With ongoing back issues, we may have dodged a bullet. Been said he was close to retirement during the summer after the injury that ruled him out of the lions tour (how accurate that is I don’t know).

I would imagine the WRU are fully converse with the implications of his injury? If his injuries, as the new one is not a reoccurrence of the first one but a new injury of a similar type, have long term repercussions why are they still pursuing him for the dragons?
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Tiercel Tiercel wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I would imagine the WRU are fully converse with the implications of his injury? If his injuries, as the new one is not a reoccurrence of the first one but a new injury of a similar type, have long term repercussions why are they still pursuing him for the dragons?

Anything is better than nothing?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 9:49am
This has been an excellent & well argued topic. A number of comparisons have been made & in summary my & a few others reservations about Ross are that he's not built like the No 8 we have in mind. His continuing injury is clearly an added worry for all concerned. I thought I would have a look at the stats to see what they tell us.

1. Ross - 6 foot 2" & 102 kgs
2. CJ Stander - 6 foot 2" & 107kgs
3. Josh Mcloed - 6 foot 3" & 110kgs
4. Louis Picamoles - 6 foot 4" & 118 kgs. 
5. Facunda Isa - 6 foot 2" & 106kgs. 

I think Ffidel your wish for two no 8's isn't going to happen because we have one of them who is 21 with us now - Josh. I think he will develop into a decent No 8 in the next couple of years. He has excellent pace, appears to have the bulk & definitely has the eye for a turnover. I know they don't grow on trees but a raw South Sea Islander may be our way forward. I have no doubt that Pivac will want to sign Ross but I don't know what the recent injury scare will do to that interest. Either way its going to be a very interesting few weeks. 
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by The Brain The Brain wrote:

There's rumours about rumours - Any names?

Mick Fleetwood to 2nd Row !

Ha! After that remark you can go your own way.

It's Second Hand News anyway, and it might all be Little Lies, so I Don't want to Know, at least util Monday Morning.

easy now guys I don't want to end up a peacekeeper here.

This is all going "over my head", "I'm so afraid" that we'll be "hypnotoized" during the search for new signings, all we have to do is make sure we "don't stop" and look everywhere through the "seven wonders" before achieving that "landlslide" signing ! I'm sure we're "never going back again" to the dark days "as long as you follow" the mighty Scarlets !

You're like a bloody Albatross around my neck with a post like that!

oh well,it must be quite a tusk finding the right player.

Ask Rhiannon. She’ll know.

That's over my head mate.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 11:19am
Thanks for researching the statistics GPR. I must say that I didn't think that Josh was 110 Kg and 6ft3. He is quick and good at the breakdown, but haven't seen him carrying much. I tend to think he 'd be a better 7.
As far as the arguments over Moriarty go, as you said earlier, the YouTube highlights  video don't show him carrying much either. His aggressive tackling and his pace in broken play are the aspects that stand out. What I think we are missing in our forwards are players who can go into the physical defensive wall that English, French, Ulster, and the Ospreys can set up, and if not break through, at least cross the gain line and put us on the front foot. We have the backs and other forwards to exploit any space created - and a fit Moriarty would be excellent at that, but not to create the space initially which is what we need. So I wouldn't worry too much about the Dragons signing him, only maybe about the incentives offered to entice him.
We have in the past found "raw" 8s in lower leagues, Ben Morgan for instance and we should still be looking there as well as the South Seas where big physical athletes seem to occur more commonly.

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 11:53am
There’s no way that Ross is 8 kilos lighter than Josh, let’s be realistic.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

There’s no way that Ross is 8 kilos lighter than Josh, let’s be realistic.
Josh has definitely filled out. The type of 8 Morriarity has been described on here, hes always seemed small for that. Hes nowhere near the 8 this forum needs.
Josh, youngster. Already has the size. What he doesn't have, YET, compared to Morriarity is the aggression or ability to put that size to full use. I don't think Morriarity is what we need to be honest. he is certainly not matching what Barclay brought to our table.

Josh Macleod is a good unit. A very good prospect. Uses speed over power, and to me, that suits scarlets style of play at the moment.

Obviously we need players that can play the power game as a plan b type action, but I am not overly convinced that Ross Morriarity can be that player for us.  

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 12:37pm
I'm concerned about the back injuries- not easy to get through. The recurrence- even if it is a different injury- is a worrying issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
  Share Topic