Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Over expectations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Over expectations
    Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:05pm
I feel that a lot of people here are expecting us to just play in the same manner as we did in the last 3 games of last season.

those 3 performances were exceptional and we didn't string that many great performances together at any other time last season.

3 weeks before the Ospreys game we beat Dragons 21-16. 3 weeks before that we got trounced 45-9 by Leinster and before that we had close games with both the Scottish clubs.

We are currently winning most our games, with a good lead to spare, picking up BP and still having lovely tries. Yes mistakes are made but lets not refer every single performance to the superb finale of last season.
Sponsored Links

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:26pm
Yes, started to feel the same and I was guilty of these expactations too.

The key is to perform well enough to get into the playoffs and then be abel t lift your game for teh knockout stages. I still have hope we can get through in Europe.
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:32pm
Agreed, we're all expecting perfect performances with huge intensity every week - there is no way that will happen.

We're still winning, scoring a lot tries and our shape/pettenrs/units are ok. We're learning how to attack again as teams are trying to work us out and we've been playing with a lot of first choice forwards being rested.

The only real disappointment was the first 20 in Toulon and Bath at home - unfortunately they both did big damage to the season.
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:46pm
Should we as fans be wrong for setting the standards really high? We saw last season that this team can throw the ball around consistently scoring tries. So why shouldn't the paying customer expect to see this rugby week in week out ?
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Should we as fans be wrong for setting the standards really high? We saw last season that this team can throw the ball around consistently scoring tries. So why shouldn't the paying customer expect to see this rugby week in week out ?

We didn't do it week in week out though, just at the very end in dry weather.  That was a purple patch, and is is hard to play that way every week.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:57pm
I certainly don't expect faultless performances or that we thrash everybody that we play. My only expectation is that we learn from our mistakes and do our best to correct them. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 4:00pm
We're missing JB and Cubby. Hard as Boyde works and as good as he is, he can't rectify that double loss on his own. Also he doesn't roam as wide as either JB or Cubby do. Tadhg at no. 8 might be a success in time but the first Euro game of the season wasn't the best time to start the transition. I think we will have a purple patch again this season- the trouble is it has to come in mid winter to stay in Europe and then again in April to do damage in KO stages of either competition. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 4:43pm
It's clearly not just us fans though every time Pivac or any player interviewed after game they are not happy with way we are playing and know there is an improvement in our game.
That is what fuels my expectation we aren't far off getting it right when we do someone is in for hiding.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 4:46pm
8 is the key problem , barclays loss plus cubby was a killer. I was disappointed we havent used macleod or boyde at 8. Also the jack condy situation is perplexing. He seems to be playing regularly for the rfc but they dont seem to want to risk him due to a previous knee injury?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 4:49pm
The emphasis this season was Europe and we had to peak for it. We produced a very poor first half in Toulon and were dire against Bath. So you have to be honest and say that's not good enough.

You cant (without having mega squads like Saracens and Toulon) be excellent all the time, you will have dips. The secret for us is peaking. We got it bang on last season, for the start of Europe this year (yes it rained and we had a short turnaround) we failed to be anywhere near the level we finished last year at, and that's hugely disappointing. 

I said pre season that I felt we should have signed a big beast of an 8 for those stinking winter nights. Well, we copped a real bad night on our biggest game of the season and Barclay was injured so we got caught with our pants down. I think Tadgh could be a very good 8, but he isnt a natural 8 as of now. Faletau is a world class 8 and was everywhere he should have been that night.

We waited and are still waiting for Moriarty, we took a chance on getting by without an 8. If we're being honest and take our Scarlet tinted glasses off, we got it wrong.

We had a great chance to get out of the group this year, and for me as a progression from last year, last 8 in europe was surely where we should be. People were even tipping us to go all the way.

So, yes, you cant expect us to be world beaters every game, but we really should have been in better shape for Bath, we had an amazing opportunity but effed it up.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 6:30pm
Certainly take Moriarty compared to George North If there was a choice.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 6:47pm
Bath beat us because they had a top class 8,9,10 axis, much better than ours.
Keep the faith
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 7:01pm
Great thread.

We had a magical time at the end of last season, it was hardly a reflection on the season as a whole though..even in early April we'd have been happy to even make the play offs on here...the rest was just the sweetest few weeks I've personally had in 40+ years following the club...mainly because our expectations were far lower than our ultimate achievement...

Anyway we have a slight sense of entitlement carried forward to this season...some of it warranted, some of it not...
Teams like Barcelina can put 5 past anyone/anytime, they can also battle out a scrappy 0-0 away to Valledolid the week after..ultimately the 0-0 is just as likely to win the prize as the 5-0.

Great post above says it's about bringing our game to a peak at the right time....in the interim we have to battle out those games where we haven't hit our straps ... And in the league we have achieved that by and large, 1 defeat, 6 wins, 5 of which with a bp....it's great to see us, for once, ahead of other teams who have won the same amount of games as us.

ITB's post is also spot on, the Toulon result was ok (4-1), but the Bath result has probably put us out of Europe ( yes I am actually a believer we can still qualify, but statistically they are stacked against us)...that's a blow to our aspirations this year.

In summary we've had a more than decent start to the league campaign, the jury is out on Europe ( but it doesn't look great).

The point I wanted to get to was the next 2-3 games...those games ( AI window) last year could be argued as the ones that catapulted us up to the play off slots...home BP wins over Glasgow and Leinster..and another BP win away at Zebre...

My 'expectations' this time are tempered by losing a net 5 of the players that were the backbone of that run ( Steff, Parkes, Shingler, Wyn, Aled D, and Patchell...with Scott coming the other way), DTH departing and Cubby missing at least the Treviso game...all class players...

The fixtures are slightly less daunting granted ( Treviso H, Kings and Cheetahs A), but I would be delighted with 8-10 points from those games...that to me is what we can reasonably expect...performance is secondary.

With respect to Prydie, Asquith, Rhys Jones etc it's asking too much of us to absorb the loss of 14 regulars.

PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

We didn't do it week in week out though, just at the very end in dry weather.  That was a purple patch, and is is hard to play that way every week.

I think everyone forgets that the final in Dublin was played in the pouring rain after 12 hours of the heavens being open. That didn't stop our style and that was no excuse for the Bath game. Our handling was fine, we were just fatigued after an international standard battle with Toulon 5 days before.

The rain doesn't halt our style and ambition although there is always reasoning to play smart, whatever the weather.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

The emphasis this season was Europe and we had to peak for it. We produced a very poor first half in Toulon and were dire against Bath. So you have to be honest and say that's not good enough.

You cant (without having mega squads like Saracens and Toulon) be excellent all the time, you will have dips. The secret for us is peaking. We got it bang on last season, for the start of Europe this year (yes it rained and we had a short turnaround) we failed to be anywhere near the level we finished last year at, and that's hugely disappointing. 

I said pre season that I felt we should have signed a big beast of an 8 for those stinking winter nights. Well, we copped a real bad night on our biggest game of the season and Barclay was injured so we got caught with our pants down. I think Tadgh could be a very good 8, but he isnt a natural 8 as of now. Faletau is a world class 8 and was everywhere he should have been that night.

We waited and are still waiting for Moriarty, we took a chance on getting by without an 8. If we're being honest and take our Scarlet tinted glasses off, we got it wrong.

We had a great chance to get out of the group this year, and for me as a progression from last year, last 8 in europe was surely where we should be. People were even tipping us to go all the way.

So, yes, you cant expect us to be world beaters every game, but we really should have been in better shape for Bath, we had an amazing opportunity but effed it up.

I'm sorry.
I didn't realise that we were knocked out after two games?

We will still get out of this group.

Treviso back to back and then Bath on a dry track with Cubby and JB and Rob Evs back, and then Toulon at home.

Every chance to progress.
Page the oracle
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

I'm sorry.
I didn't realise that we were knocked out after two games?

We will still get out of this group.

Treviso back to back and then Bath on a dry track with Cubby and JB and Rob Evs back, and then Toulon at home.

Every chance to progress.

Sincerely hope your right pal. But expecting a dry track in Bath in January is very optimistic.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic