FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Team to face Austrailia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales Team to face Austrailia
    Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:44pm
Jamie Roberts called up as is Scott Andrews, with Samson doubtful to face Georgia.

Edited by Fscarlet - 13 November 2017 at 12:45pm
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

It's bloody frustrating now I think about it.

I also noticed a big difference in the amount of pressure being put on the respective fly halves: Foley had an armchair ride. Navidi put in a shift with his tackles and breakdown/support play in fairness so perhaps that was Faletau or Shingler? Cawdor? Whoever - we were not getting to him at all and he had all the time in the world even when deep in his own half to place his kicks.

That is another very fair observation. I must say on a number of occasions I watched Foley prepare for a kick & the Welsh defenders seemed to stop & give him all the time he needed. It happened too often not to seem like a pre-planned tactic.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:57am
It's bloody frustrating now I think about it.

I also noticed a big difference in the amount of pressure being put on the respective fly halves: Foley had an armchair ride. Navidi put in a shift with his tackles and breakdown/support play in fairness so perhaps that was Faletau or Shingler? Cawdor? Whoever - we were not getting to him at all and he had all the time in the world even when deep in his own half to place his kicks.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

No idea what we were doing with the restarts but you're right it cost us badly. Catch ball, recycle, pass to Biggar who boots it out about half way or better. Basic rugby.

Yes it is Dr Martinov. Get it to half way reset your defence and start again. Pretty basic stuff which teams like Ireland & NZ do with their eyes shut. We, however, always seem to mess up - remember England last year. One good kick, reset and defend game won. You would never have seen a side coached by Joe Schmidt continually make those basic errors. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:22am
No idea what we were doing with the restarts but you're right it cost us badly. Catch ball, recycle, pass to Biggar who boots it out about half way or better. Basic rugby.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:01am
Wales attacking play wasn't too bad. Their complete lack of a plan to exit their 22 from restarts cost them the game. What has Gatland been doing the last two weeks. Surely your exit strategy should be totally nailed down. It wasn't as if Foley changed his restarts much - long to his right straight to Foxy. We managed on 3 occasions to gift them the ball back & they scored - game over. 

We saw the best & worst of Steff yesterday which was to be expected. A little naivety when kicking out of his 22 & getting stripped by Beale admittedly after what looked like a high head shot. On the positive side he was everywhere looking for work and usually beat the first man & took his try well. He definitely belongs in this company which is wonderful for us fans to see.

Some of the handling by the forwards reminded me of the Scarlets way which is be applauded. However the defending of the rolling maul try was pathetic. Faletau had his worst game for Wales. He blew a couple of overlaps with poor handling and seemed off the pace. 

All in all a better performance than I expected and a much better game of rugby than the match I watched earlier from Twickenham which was totally boring. Can't see Foxy appearing again this Autumn which opens the way for Scott to play at 13. I thought Owen did Ok at 12 & he did defend well. Wales have to persist with the experiment now. I would pick Priestland at 10 next week with Owen at 12 & Scott at 13. I would also give Amos a start at 15.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:43am
It’s great to see Wales trying to emulate the Scarlets in the way they played against the Aussies. Unfortunately it was clear to see by everyone that it didn’t come naturally to a lot of the players, other than the Scarlets players. It will take a bit of time and patience for this style of game to develop, it took us the best part of 18 month before it started to click properly (and that’s with us playing 20+ games per season).
It was great to see Rob Evans playing so well with ball in hand and it just goes to show what we have been missing in recent weeks, although our cover hasn’t really let us down.
If Wales continue to play this style of rugby, and the players improve their ball handling skills and cut out their silly errors then I have no doubts that they will win more games than they lose and will gain many more fans the world over.
As an aside, I’ve just read the western fails player ratings for the game. Apart from captain fantastic with a score of 8/10 (and we know how much they love him), very few players came anywhere near him other than the only Cardiff Blue player on the field (Navidi). Whilst I thought that he had a solid game, I didn’t think that he was a long way ahead of nearly everyone else on the field. They were also less than complementary about both Gareth Davies and Stef Evans in particular, but hey, that’s the fail for you, I guess that will never change.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 8:45am
13 consecutive losses to Australia is not a good stat though - I think beating the All Blacks would make up for it.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 8:38am
Got to say I think Grease Webb is comfortably the top SH and makes a big difference when playing. I like Navidi - hits rucks and is aware of situation to pass when needed. Not quite convinced over Bigger/O Williams combo but both were solid. Having Steff, Liam and Foxy in the backs gives a level of threat that is great to see and Steff has to be a starter now. Scrum was a bit disappointing.

Obvious to say but error count was the main issue plus two soft tries to concede and Oz were lethal. But this comes with trying a higher tempo offload game so i'll take it as a squad of players able to execute this game is starting to emerge.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 1:30am
This being an auz team who recently beat New Zealand and have had a good few games under their belt and wins against a team blooding new players, this 10&12 business plus not having played together in ages. Thought it was a good performance all considered don't agree biggar played well thought he slowed the way we want to play down but that will always be the case with him. Cawdor was slow at times from the ruck and faletau have his worst performance ever. We needed to score when they had a sin bin and just needed a little more patience. As for our first game that was a decent one and was actually worth watching for a change. Like to see a Rhys at 10 next week.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:34pm
I don't think anyone suggested that?  If anything, a faster track would have suited Aus more. We looked a bit one paced.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:12pm
it's worse looking I agree on TV and not looking great for the first game of the deason but no apparent issus at all from the players from watching it in the ground. The pitch did not cost us the game.

Edited by reesytheexile - 11 November 2017 at 10:16pm
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Foxy's ankle went the wrong way, that did not look good.

That pitch is a disgrace.
It's really not. You are wrong there. There was literally NO slipping. 

I stand by my opinion, the surface is heavy and still cuts up, which is disgraceful in the modern era and is not up to international standard.  Compare that to the other surfaces on view today.

Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:03pm
Foxy took a bad knock at the end..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Wales seemed to rely on the way the Scarlets played. Rob, jake and Aaron led the way. Their offloads were what the Scarlets had embedded in them over the last few years and wales relied on that.The others looked like they wanted to play but were off the mark. Navidi was outstanding and faletau disappointing. I though Williams was steady but nothing spectacular. Steff beat the 1st man each time. Best team won. If wales could have been a bit more clinical maybe it would have been a different case. There was a clear difference in skill levels

Sums up my thoughts. I thought Wales collectively were poor with a few stand out performances. Rob Evs was outstanding.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 8:55pm
Wales seemed to rely on the way the Scarlets played. Rob, jake and Aaron led the way. Their offloads were what the Scarlets had embedded in them over the last few years and wales relied on that.The others looked like they wanted to play but were off the mark. Navidi was outstanding and faletau disappointing. I though Williams was steady but nothing spectacular. Steff beat the 1st man each time. Best team won. If wales could have been a bit more clinical maybe it would have been a different case. There was a clear difference in skill levels
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic