Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Exeter Chiefs (AW)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 1:24pm
The English have loved kicking us when weak for the last 2,000 years. I don't expect that to change.

Funny though, Belfast in the 90's was full of Welsh soldiers, not public school, boys from ChelseaWink
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 1:30pm
Congratulations to the players who will get to wear the famous Scarlet shirt for the first time on Sunday. Good luck boys. 
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

The English have loved kicking us when weak for the last 2,000 years. I don't expect that to change.

2000 years ago the Angles and Saxons were on the continent where they belonged, and the original British spoke an early version of Welsh. The Romans were the ones trying to keep us down then, and let's face it they had a bit of class and were the best oppressors we ever had. They even managed to build a road connecting north and south Wales - something the English never wanted as it would have kept us one country not two divided regions. Wink

Edited by Ffidel Bennett - 10 November 2017 at 2:19pm
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

2000 years ago the Angles and Saxons were on the continent where they belonged, and the original British spoke an early version of Welsh. The Romans were the ones trying to keep us down then, and let's face it they had a bit of class and were the best oppressors we ever had. They even managed to build a road connecting north and south Wales - something the English never wanted as it would have kept us one country not two divided regions. Wink

Excellent Thumbs Up
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Interesting selection against a really strong team...an occasion for our youngsters

That is putting it rather politely...
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:39pm

All the best to the young Scarlets for Sunday go and make names for yourselves .

Very disappointed to see yet another English referee in charge .
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:54pm
Their fans seem to think that they are just fielding 7 players coming back from injury and squad players. Not sure I 100% agree with that.

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:17pm
Anyone where Conbeer, Baldwin and Tom Phillips are? Injured?

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:43pm
This game should be an interesting one, to say the least...
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Interesting selection against a really strong team...an occasion for our youngsters

That is putting it rather politely...
Haven’t you got anything better to do?
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:22pm

I'm
the original British spoke an early version of Welsh.

It's interesting because (sorry getting very OT) like most, I always thought that but I'm reading an interesting (though very hard work) book by a Cambridge history professor called Stephen Oppenheimer (the History of the British) and he gives a very convincing lot of facts and evidence to conclude that, during the Roman occupation, although there were many Celtic Britons (speaking early versions of Welsh) in much of what is now England and Wales (and SW Scotland) there were also many Belgiums, Saxons, angles and others in SE England, the English Midlands and north and the East - and in fact n those areas there were few if any Celtic speakers (mainly because the early Celtic speaking people arrived in Briton from the West, North West and south West and had not reached those other places in great numbers (and where the Celts dominated other inhabitants took on their language). It was these early Saxon and angle inhabitants in the East who invited (more) Anglo Saxons over to help fight off the Picts and Vikings. This might better explain why the Celtic Britons were called foreigners (leading to the name Welsh) by the Anglo Saxons, because to those long time non-Celtic settlers towards the SE, East, Midlands and NE, they would have been seen as foreigners when any turned up to trade etc.

Just thought I'd share that!
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

On another note - their back rower on the bench (Dave Ewers) is out of contract at the end of the year. Good 8, with Waldrom and Simmonds ahead of him now.

Rowers is regularly talked of as an England prospect and is a key part of the Chiefs’ side.

He’s been injured but I would be amazed if he left Exeter. And if he did it would be for big French money.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

I'm
the original British spoke an early version of Welsh.

It's interesting because (sorry getting very OT) like most, I always thought that but I'm reading an interesting (though very hard work) book by a Cambridge history professor called Stephen Oppenheimer (the History of the British) and he gives a very convincing lot of facts and evidence to conclude that, during the Roman occupation, although there were many Celtic Britons (speaking early versions of Welsh) in much of what is now England and Wales (and SW Scotland) there were also many Belgiums, Saxons, angles and others in SE England, the English Midlands and north and the East - and in fact n those areas there were few if any Celtic speakers (mainly because the early Celtic speaking people arrived in Briton from the West, North West and south West and had not reached those other places in great numbers (and where the Celts dominated other inhabitants took on their language). It was these early Saxon and angle inhabitants in the East who invited (more) Anglo Saxons over to help fight off the Picts and Vikings. This might better explain why the Celtic Britons were called foreigners (leading to the name Welsh) by the Anglo Saxons, because to those long time non-Celtic settlers towards the SE, East, Midlands and NE, they would have been seen as foreigners when any turned up to trade etc.

Just thought I'd share that!

Ah...More Disinformation - Fake news- next he'll be saying that the royal family are English.
Oppenheimer -German name - Germans/English they're all the same. Wink
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:18pm
Utterly daft to be playing this game.....a similar (maybe stronger) team earlier this year were smashed 84-7 or so by Ealing....cannot see the point. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by mr geraint mr geraint wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

On another note - their back rower on the bench (Dave Ewers) is out of contract at the end of the year. Good 8, with Waldrom and Simmonds ahead of him now.

Rowers is regularly talked of as an England prospect and is a key part of the Chiefs’ side.

He’s been injured but I would be amazed if he left Exeter. And if he did it would be for big French money.
Fair enough, thanks.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Utterly daft to be playing this game.....a similar (maybe stronger) team earlier this year were smashed 84-7 or so by Ealing....cannot see the point. 

I went up there for that game. It was a bit embarrassing.

We're on a hiding to nothing on Sunday but I hope the players use it as an opportunity to show what they can do. If they give it their best shot I won't be disappointed. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic