Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Exeter Chiefs (AW)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:58pm
Saw it on telly, none of the backs look capable of stepping up. However they were on the back foot,tackling huge guys for all the game, bar the first five minutes. Also If Declan is badly injured we've got no scrum half cover for South Africa. 🤔🤔
Keep the faith
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:07pm
Great effort from a semi pro side against a well packed Exeter side with large pack and team of professional players. Their pack gave them their platform and we were on the back foot all game. Shocking penalty miss from us to give us a confidence boosting start right in front of posts set the scene. Another easy shot also badly missed but there was only one outcome. Can't see the benefit to us playing this tournament when no chance of progressing. 
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:11pm
Think it is difficult for the backs to look good when they are do over-powered but still felt that they defended well as shown by the fact that Exeter only scored 1 try through the backs and it is more difficult to make headway agains a physically stronger side but still felt they showed some potential given the mis-match of the team's
saundersfoot scarlets
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:32pm
Went to the game hoping to watch a good game of rugby but it didn’t work out that way. It was a complete mismatch, just as the whole weekends fixtures have been, with a different ethos between the English teams and the Welsh teams in the competition.
The English teams seem to take the competition very seriously, fielding very strong sides whilst the Welsh teams use this competition as a chance to look at players from the feeder clubs.
It was an enjoyable first half with the young Scarlets going through the phases (without getting over the gain line) but at least showing a willingness to try and create and without coughing up the ball too much either, whilst the chief often just played the territory game and scored 2 tries from very close range.
The second half was a complete joke, with the referee (who was English and who the commentators said would have plenty of empathy for the game as he had been fast tracked after giving up playing for the Quins just last year) continuously penalising the Scarlets pack at every scrum, giving them 3 penalty tries and sin binning 2 Scarlet front rowers. That completely ruined the game as a spectacle and the players certainly didn’t deserve to be on the end of that shoreline.
Saying that, Exeter did what they do best and took full advantage of the situation. But I for one, certainly wouldn’t want to watch that territory and forwards based rugby week in and week out, give me a team that plays or tries to play entertaining rugby any day of week.
I agree with a few comments above about the future of this competition in its current guise and whether we should look at some kind of regional A team competition to run during the autumn internationals and 6 nations.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Don't see the point in this tournament any more when the likes of the AVIVA teams continuously field close to full strength teams! D

Yes, indeed.

It says something about the teams when I have to admit to being familiar with more of the names of Exeter players, than I was with those in the Scarlets 23. 

I suppose that this was within the rules, but did it prove anything? Maybe that their 1st/2nd team is better than our 3rds. Big deal.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

This tournament is a complete and utter waste of time

Do we financially benefit at all from this tournament?

In Pivac we trust
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Don't see the point in this tournament any more when the likes of the AVIVA teams continuously field close to full strength teams! D

Yes, indeed.

It says something about the teams when I have to admit to being familiar with more of the names of Exeter players, than I was with those in the Scarlets 23. 

I suppose that this was within the rules, but did it prove anything? Maybe that their 1st/2nd team is better than our 3rds. Big deal.
it wasn’t even our third side. It was a regional mix of semi prosand a scratch side. Weaker than our BI team . A real downer. Our lads played so well and not fair on them to be honest. Don’t see the plus in it in all sincerity.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Saw it on telly, none of the backs look capable of stepping up. However they were on the back foot,tackling huge guys for all the game, bar the first five minutes. Also If Declan is badly injured we've got no scrum half cover for South Africa. 🤔🤔

I wouldn't say that none of our backs looked capable of stepping up but it's true that they were at a huge disadvantage compared to the Chiefs backs in that they rarely had the ball on the front foot and had to do a lot of tiring  tackling without missing much. However the Chiefs backs didn't look much better with all the advantages that they had and several were regular first teamers.
I also thought that Tom Rogers did show glimpses of talent, fire and intelligence and he's only 18. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:01am
Condy is too small. He looked tiny out there next to Exeter's backs. I can't believe he is 17st+

Our backs were ok, Tom Rogers and Morgan Williams showed some skill and Ioan Nicholas too, but they were always going backwards.

Generally the back row put in a huge shift but as a team we were so underpowered that we lost yards in defence and attack. We were also clearly blowing by half time. That they kept fighting until the end was credit to our boys.

Exeter won at a canter. If they had upped the intensity it would have been 60 points. The one thing I took from this is our youngsters, in the main are too small for pro rugby. 
 You can see why North was playing for the firsts at 18 and these kids aren't. It's hard to tell how much difference a fully pro S&C regime would make but we just couldn't make the slightest impact going into tackles. 

They could take us high and not need to double tackle, meaning they could fill the field and any skill advantages we may have had were nullified.

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

This tournament is a complete and utter waste of time

Do we financially benefit at all from this tournament?

It was televised, so there must be something on it.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:15am
Was at the game and felt so sorry for the lads who were sacrificed like lambs to the slaughter. Necessary, perhaps, to protect our AI squad for the SA games, but hardly of any benefit to the Scarlets, or the boys who took the field. They would have learnt that if they harbour any ambitions of playing at Pro14 level, that they need to bulk up massively. Some of them, despite having the talent, may decide that they don't want that. Whatever they decide, they can be happy that they did not let the Scarlets down, when they got the chance to represent, because they stuck to their task (which was for the most part tackling) manfully. Well done the lads.

Referee was diabolical, no empathy with the players - Scarlets that is.
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'd like to echo what some have said about the commentary team, who would have cheered on Goliath in his bout with David, and made little effort to conceal their bias.
Even when there was a Scarlet player down with a serious injury they were jabbering on about their beloved English Premier sides. It took them a good few minutes to note that someone was down and another to reveal that it was Declan Smith just as he was being stretchered off.
Couldn't they find someone with a little local knowledge who  at least knew our players and could pronounce their names.
Mrs Easterby was on the touchline but she's so servile that it hardly compensated for the two little Englanders in the box.
The boys gave their all and more. No-one should feel ashamed of their efforts.  
david won that one.LOL
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:00am
Yes, but your not allowed to use sling shots to bring down opposition attackers in rugby 😁
Keep the faith
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:24am
I tend to agree that these pointless mismatches serve no benefit. Obviously you try to take positives from any game. Condy, as we all knew, is a handful. He gets go forward & has the dog to succeed at the top level. The young wing Rogers looks full of potential. He is tall and pretty well built with an eye for a gap. Worryingly our scrum was hammered being penalised 8 times and coughing up two yellows and penalty tries. Fawcett had a very difficult day - up against Moray Low with 30+ Scottish caps who was replaced by Holmes who has a handful of Australian caps!!!!

Declan will probably miss the South Africa trip so I guess the non selection of so many of our potential South Africa squad is justified. I guess Grabham will now cover the bench scrum half position against the Kings/Cheetahs. 

Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I tend to agree that these pointless mismatches serve no benefit. Obviously you try to take positives from any game. Condy, as we all knew, is a handful. He gets go forward & has the dog to succeed at the top level. The young wing Rogers looks full of potential. He is tall and pretty well built with an eye for a gap. Worryingly our scrum was hammered being penalised 8 times and coughing up two yellows and penalty tries. Fawcett had a very difficult day - up against Moray Low with 30+ Scottish caps who was replaced by Holmes who has a handful of Australian caps!!!!

Declan will probably miss the South Africa trip so I guess the non selection of so many of our potential South Africa squad is justified. I guess Grabham will now cover the bench scrum half position against the Kings/Cheetahs. 

I think Grabham has just had surgery on his knee, just when we needed him most.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:51am
The Exeter defensive line was relentless, they pushed our boys back at will & with ease. Dont like this tournament in its current guise, I think it is pointless & this is shown by the results of all the Welsh sides.

Thought the young tighthead who came on was unlucky to be sin binned, I know it was an accumulation of all of Gardiners offences but still that was his first (possibly second) scrum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic