Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Exeter Chiefs (AW)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:37am
Hi, long time reader, first time poster...

I was at the game yesterday... a few thoughts....

The Chiefs supported behind said this was a second team with some first teamers. That strength was most apparent in the front row when they bought on England international Cowan-Dickie in the second half. The props have already been mentioned. We had our, what, 4th and 5th (at best) choice LHs and 3rd and 4th choice THs and 4th/5th and 6th choice hookers (counting Davies and Emyr) and yet the referring of the scrums was still appalling. At one point it wheeled... reset... another point... penalty...

The Ref was awful... it's already been mentioned but... the diving over at the rucks was so bad even the Chiefs supporter was getting hacked off. 

Hadn't seen Maynard play before but I wasn't too impressed. His kicks end over end which hurts his distance, he never took the ball to the line, and didn't seem to have much flair or a sense of how to control a game. 

On the plus side, the first half was entertaining and the boys showed lots of endeavor, if not results. They were certainly boys, but threw themselves into tackles. Only one try was scored from open play really. The back row did well... Condy was tireless and made good yards, Shaun Evans tackled everything, Jack Jones did some good work on defense and a couple of nice drives. 

The outside backs were game with both wingers showing potential. I actually preferred Morgan Griffiths to the other wing, he showed some good power. 

A lot of these guys were making their debuts and I don't think the score reflected the effort they put in, especially before it became a scrum fest in the second half. 

A special shout out to the scrum half who came on for Declan Smith... must be the smallest guy I've ever seen play for the Scarlets... or maybe anyone!

Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:47am
I see the Fail have decided that Wales lost 174-19 to England this weekend...
coldith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:34pm
Any news on Declan’s injury?

Edited by coldith - 13 November 2017 at 12:34pm
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:13pm
Exeter starting prop had 37 caps for scotland, 5 of their starting players played in the premiership final last year.....hardly development
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:28pm
I don't understand why we didn't use the game to try out some unfamiliar combinations.

We coud've tried Dinky, Steff Hughes and Asquith 10-13 to see how the combo goes before the South Africa trip.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

I don't understand why we didn't use the game to try out some unfamiliar combinations.

We coud've tried Dinky, Steff Hughes and Asquith 10-13 to see how the combo goes before the South Africa trip.

What would have been the point in exposing the 3 named players to an afternoon of tackling duty. Truth is we were totally underpowered up front & it showed. No back wants to play in games like that. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

Hi, long time reader, first time poster...

I was at the game yesterday... a few thoughts....

The Chiefs supported behind said this was a second team with some first teamers. That strength was most apparent in the front row when they bought on England international Cowan-Dickie in the second half. The props have already been mentioned. We had our, what, 4th and 5th (at best) choice LHs and 3rd and 4th choice THs and 4th/5th and 6th choice hookers (counting Davies and Emyr) and yet the referring of the scrums was still appalling. At one point it wheeled... reset... another point... penalty...

The Ref was awful... it's already been mentioned but... the diving over at the rucks was so bad even the Chiefs supporter was getting hacked off. 

Hadn't seen Maynard play before but I wasn't too impressed. His kicks end over end which hurts his distance, he never took the ball to the line, and didn't seem to have much flair or a sense of how to control a game. 

On the plus side, the first half was entertaining and the boys showed lots of endeavor, if not results. They were certainly boys, but threw themselves into tackles. Only one try was scored from open play really. The back row did well... Condy was tireless and made good yards, Shaun Evans tackled everything, Jack Jones did some good work on defense and a couple of nice drives. 

The outside backs were game with both wingers showing potential. I actually preferred Morgan Griffiths to the other wing, he showed some good power. 

A lot of these guys were making their debuts and I don't think the score reflected the effort they put in, especially before it became a scrum fest in the second half. 

A special shout out to the scrum half who came on for Declan Smith... must be the smallest guy I've ever seen play for the Scarlets... or maybe anyone!

Welcome. Keep posting.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:34pm

If those players get injured then we are in big trouble in SA. I don't think it was a risk worth taking
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

If those players get injured then we are in big trouble in SA. I don't think it was a risk worth taking

Where as A part of me does tend to agree it wasnt a risk worth taking, if we end up losing a game in SA because our players were rusty after not playing together then we will look back on these games as a lost oppurtunity, IMo we should have named a stronger team yesterday and then rested everyone this weekend against the Drags, or vice versa we name a strong team to take on the Drags to get them some game time , as a lot of the team travelling to SA havent played together this season
sw19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sw19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 2:14pm
Didn't Sarra Elgan highlight that on BT after the game?Wink
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:16pm
Would we do better if the squad was coached by our first team coaching?
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 10:03pm
Waste of time. Scratch team, novice coaches, not much familiarity between players, very few of those players will feature for the 1st XV this season.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 5:48am
If players are rusty after let's be honest, training together still all week, then we deserve to lose. The first teamers who will be available won't have been sat on their backsides at home, they will be working day in day out with the first team coaches.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:40am
Impressed with Tom rogers looked a handful on the wing. Thought dafydd hughes put himself about pretty well at hooker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic