Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23 for Treviso

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 8:53pm
Give Rob a week off. He needs it and we need him fit for the rest of the year. Wyn and Dylan are good enough.
I’d say the same for Shingler too but without Ball we’re short on second rows if we want to move Beirne to 6.
Some tough decisions to be made.
Sponsored Links

townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

On current form Dan may be struggling to make the 23.

A few players pushing for a place!!

Only had 3 starts 1.MOM-Teviso
                        2.19 points in a good win against the Kings    
                        3.Played over 60 mins with an injury sustained early on to his ankle,was unable to kick properly or change direction off his right foot...Not a bad 2 games in South Africa overall,thank God then we haven't got Sam Davies on current formLOLWink

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:45pm
Why do I get the feeling Dan Jones is shaping up to be the Priestland of his generation..
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:29am
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

On current form Dan may be struggling to make the 23.

A few players pushing for a place!!

Only had 3 starts 1.MOM-Teviso
                        2.19 points in a good win against the Kings    
                        3.Played over 60 mins with an injury sustained early on to his ankle,was unable to kick properly or change direction off his right foot...Not a bad 2 games in South Africa overall,thank God then we haven't got Sam Davies on current formLOLWink

Quite. I always feel more comfortable with a 'proper' 10 on the bench, in case Patch takes a knock early doors... Dan is a very solid 10 indeed. Rhys Jones didn't quite look up to the standard needed in his matches.

I know that if 1/2p is involved, we don't need his kicking... but Hadleigh, for all his ability, looks uncomfortable at 10. Some think Asquith should be the back-up, but so far he's hardly figured there for us (has he played there at all?) so IMO it would be a major risk to see him as a back up 10, without the evidence he can hack it there.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Dan Jones is way too class for the select 15 in case he gets a knock. Asquith best at 12 I think. Dan's biggest problem on the bench is not having versatility can he play 15?

Now, that is a fair point and by some way the best reason I have seen to not pick Dan on the bench - however, quite a few others in the squad are versatile, so Patch could move to 15 (he's played there for Wales and Blues) in an emergency. Or some other combination - such as moving Jonny Mac from wing to 15, and Patch from 10 to12 (where I could easily see him figuring for Wales in a year or two). It would depend on who was in the starting XV.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 8:50am
I'm not picking on Dan, but his general play has not been wonderful.

Scoring points does not mean you are playing well, only that you are kicking your goals.

He was a main reason of 2 of the Kings tries.

He has a lot of potential but he needs to quicken up I honestly don't think he is any more than a regional player, but one we certainly need to keep in the squad.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 9:57am
I disagree I think is Dan is improving all the time.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:17am
I really like Dan, will he be international class?....doubt it, but you never know. Is he a very good deputy to Patch?...most definitely.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:47am
I am more than happy with Dan as cover. He stepped up to the plate last year and some of his wrong decisions last weekend are now more understandable hearing he took an early knock. Some very brave performances for the shirt in the last two weeks not least Jonathan & Dan carrying on with knocks to protect the youngsters on the bench.Wink
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:54am
ken,shings.cawdor and rob should be rested for this game.give them a week off
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:11am
Dan comes under the heading of "solid" for me at the moment. Only 21 isn't he?. First yr of a new contract, he has this year to develop his USPs for us as a top class pro
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

ken,shings.cawdor and rob should be rested for this game.give them a week off

Aled to start in the Champs Cup? 

With all the injuries I do wonder whether we will really make these back-to backs our top priority or not. Less than 10 points from the next 2 weeks means it's practically all over, so it's all or nothing really. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:24am
Pivac gave the ERC equal top priority this season, and we're ahead of plan in the PRO14 from the blocks played so far - I'd be surprised if he gave it anything less than the full beans at home against Benetton to get the 5 points we need to keep us in with a shout of reaching the knock-outs.

If Saturday goes to plan, we'll travel fully loaded to Treviso; if it doesn't, it's time to rest a few and concentrate on the festive block of PRO14 fixtures.

The only other factor will be reintroducing the internationals just one week after the final Wales AI, and whether the coaches think we'd perform better with some of the players who have had a run in November.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:32am
I don't see the Champions Cup being over even if we get two 4 point wins. After the first two rounds a home quarter was gone. Plenty of sides have been best runners up with 18/19 points. Pivac will go full blast Saturday. If we win he will go full blast the following week. 

Rob needs a week off defo - we have good cover in Wyn & Dylan; Ken has had a week off starts on the bench for me; Shingler needs a rest Barclay comes in who has had a rest; Cawdor bench hopefully if not who????
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:03pm

I'm not picking on Dan, but his general play has not been wonderful.

Scoring points does not mean you are playing well, only that you are kicking your goals.

He was a main reason of 2 of the Kings tries.

He has a lot of potential but he needs to quicken up I honestly don't think he is any more than a regional player, but one we certainly need to keep in the squad.

Being a reliable goal kicker is, however, pretty valuable in tight games... would 1/2p be in the Wales team but for his goal kicking? It's a crucial, and frequently match-winning skill. I well remember the flak poor Rhys Priestland used to get from so-called Wales fans if he had an off day - or even some SF posters. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't, apparently.

As for Dan's pace - I wrote in another thread some months ago that this is a weakness, and not something easily rectified IMO... which is why I see Dan as a solid back up to Patch, not someone who'll threaten his place in the team. I think his passing and distribution are pretty good, as well as his tactical kicking. Overall, then, a good and useful guy to have on the bench, or to play when Patch needs a rest.

Obviously, if we could develop or afford someone with ALL the attributes for an international 10, then that would be great - but I don't see who the 'mystery 10' could be ATM.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic