Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lewis rawlins to the blues??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 8:14pm
The Concern for me is that we are losing so many of the Welsh players with very little available by way of better WQ players around to replace with.
It’s okay signing NWQ upto a point but the cap on numbers will stop us getting enough depth to carry us through the international windows without a hardcore WQ second option for at least half the international players.
Sponsored Links

dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Dan, what ABW is saying we have people able to step in at centre, while in 2nd row we are struggling if we get an injury, and I tend to agree, Ball is out for months, Price seems to have stagnated a bit, and what is left, Bulbring, Beirne and Rawlings.

This position could be for the rest of the season.

Cummings is a what primarily 4-5-6, not sure yet.

Firstly, Rawlins isn't leaving until the end of the season.

Secondly - and more importantly - Rawlins is an average squad player, Scott has justifiably got 50 odd Welsh caps it's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Rolls Royce.

Ball, Bulbring, Cummins and Price is a decent lock stable, we'd need one more and finding a comparable second row to Rawlins should not be hard.

If you'd said Beirne is a bigger loss the Scott then I would probably have agreed.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:00pm
Ball is out for at least 3 months and could be more, Cummings just arrived after a long season.

Rawlings is vital to our defence, we differ but as a few have said we are starting to loose too many players.

Beirne has played more in the back row this season and with Shingler in the Welsh aquad we are getting thin in the 2nd row.

I am not comparing the skill factor, just a well established 2nd row who played virtually all of March/April & May last season, a bit more tba just a squad player.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:09pm
For me, Rawlins should be first name on the teamsheet. Can build a game plan around him, he played a pivotal role in the semi against Leinster and again in the final.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:22pm
All depends on who comes in but bit of a blow to lose Rawlins.
Pivac is a big fan of his. I’d be surprised if he leaves but if he’s had an offer from Blues that we may not be able to match then he may well be off. He’s come on leaps and bounds under Pivac and as already mentioned played a pivotal role in the championship with his dominant defence.

Cross fingers he doesn’t go, BUT, hearing that another lock (of quality) is coming apparently on the way in, then it may very well prove true -
Ball / Cummins / Bullbring / New lock / Tom Price All at lock.
At 6, Shingler, Cummins, Tom Phillips- potentially another new signing - or possibly Boyde? Plus isn’t there highly thought of 6 at Llanelli RFC?

Shame to lose Rawlins, but possibly a case of numbers.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Dan, what ABW is saying we have people able to step in at centre, while in 2nd row we are struggling if we get an injury, and I tend to agree, Ball is out for months, Price seems to have stagnated a bit, and what is left, Bulbring, Beirne and Rawlings.

This position could be for the rest of the season.

Cummings is a what primarily 4-5-6, not sure yet.

Firstly, Rawlins isn't leaving until the end of the season.

Secondly - and more importantly - Rawlins is an average squad player, Scott has justifiably got 50 odd Welsh caps it's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Rolls Royce.

Ball, Bulbring, Cummins and Price is a decent lock stable, we'd need one more and finding a comparable second row to Rawlins should not be hard.

If you'd said Beirne is a bigger loss the Scott then I would probably have agreed.

You must have forgotten how good Rawlins was last season if you think he is an average player. Rawlins was excellent and has the ability to cover 6 as well.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 10:05pm
Rawlins is a totally fearless tackler who usually stops a ball-carrier dead in his tracks. He's not huge but he and Beirne were vital to our championship winning side last year. "To lose one -we can consider bad luck -to lose both, begins to look like carelessness".
It is unfortunate that agents act in a provocative manner by massaging their players ego and insisting  they deserve better, advocating moves that probably won't improve anything other than the size of their wallets from the % they make out of the transfer.
As  far as announcing signings that we have made, maybe we need to hear one or two, as news and rumours of good players leaving can get depressing after a while unless counteracted.  
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 10:31pm
Victims of our own success here I suppose. Plenty of players who weren't first choice last season stepped up whenever they had the opportunity; Beirne, Rawlins, Wyn Jones, Boyde. Not a single one let the club down. Downside of this, so to speak, is that they attracted attention.

I agree we will probably need another lock even though I suspect we'll see a lot of Cummins there rather than at blindside. Assuming we get a proper 8, I can see Shingler and Boyde as our primary options at 6 with maybe Tom Phillips as cover.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 10:42pm
Rawlins is even more valuable to us because he’s not currently and is never likely to be, a Welsh player.
He’s available all year round, covers 4/5/6, tackles hard and has added to his carrying game.
We need another bulky second row. Someone to cover Ball and rotate with him. Cavubati of Newcastle would fit the bill.

Edited by SospanMawr - 07 December 2017 at 10:43pm
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 11:49pm
Could Rawlins be the one who has upset Pivac?
Joshua24:15
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 11:58pm
Who needs facts when you you can fill up on rumours. Give it a rest of we'll soon be fielding a development fifteen.
Keep the faith
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 8:57am
2 pages of,yet again,scarlet fever rumour bullpoo.getting boring now,just like the rest of this forum.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

2 pages of,yet again,scarlet fever rumour bullpoo.getting boring now,just like the rest of this forum.
I find that if I don't tap in scarlet fever into my search engine I don't end up on the forum.Wink
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

I find that if I don't tap in scarlet fever into my search engine I don't end up on the forum.Wink

Your sharp this morning NigeWink
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Rawlins is a totally fearless tackler who usually stops a ball-carrier dead in his tracks. He's not huge but he and Beirne were vital to our championship winning side last year. 

Absolutely and he seems like the archetypal Pivac player too - I can't imagine we'd want to let him go. While there's a lot of doomsaying around the contract negotiations, I don't think that we've actually lost a player yet that we wanted to retain - aside from Beirne - but the circumstances there were fairly unique. 

He may have been offered a deal, it doesn't mean he's off. Same as Seb Davies and Lloyd-Williams at the Blues - both dead-certs to sign, when all that had actually happened was that we'd offered them a deal.

I think we're in control of things. I don't think we fought that hard to keep Scott and the relationship seemed to fall apart at the end anyway. Barclay seems to be going with a blessing, Aled seemed surplus to requirements etc.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:36am
I just don't understand players leaving a team when the team is at the top. I can understand people wanting out when the team is rubbish but at the moment it seems like everything is turned on its head. I don't get it.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic