Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

George North to Ospreys - Confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 42>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:55am
he will be with the dragons or ospreys next season.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 8:30am
I don't think Pivac is prone to playing games so when he says we are not interested I take his word. George is a wonderful player but we have more pressing needs elsewhere. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:21am
GPR, I'm not even convinced that he's a wonderful player when fully fit, and not with camp Gatland. He suits warrenball but he's got nowhere near Steff or McNicholl's flair or ability to improvise .
Having him and Jamie Roberts in the team suited Gatland in another style and another time.
 It could be argued that he would help us with the carrying if he came off his wing to charge through the centre, but I'm sure that he would feel insulted if you suggested that this was why he was signed  and with his injury record I doubt if he'd last long in this mode.
I would be very disappointed if we splashed out on him where we are well set with back 3 players and have genuine shortages elsewhere.
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:31am
  I loved it when he played for us and on some levels would like to see a fully fit North back in a Scarlet shirt.  But even last time round he was wrapped in cotton wool so much of the time that we didn't see as much of him as we should have.  

I noticed he said of a dual contract that it would allow the WRU to "protect him". Doesn't sound as though you're looking at 100% commitment to a region, only vehicle for international duty.  He'll be another Warburton. Got sympathy for the injury problems he's had, particularly the concussions, and he's now possibly one major concussion away from ending his career. 

I don't think he's what we need even if we were in the market for a wing.  
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

he will be with the dragons or ospreys next season.

this is right,
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

GPR, I'm not even convinced that he's a wonderful player when fully fit, and not with camp Gatland. He suits warrenball but he's got nowhere near Steff or McNicholl's flair or ability to improvise .
Having him and Jamie Roberts in the team suited Gatland in another style and another time.
 It could be argued that he would help us with the carrying if he came off his wing to charge through the centre, but I'm sure that he would feel insulted if you suggested that this was why he was signed  and with his injury record I doubt if he'd last long in this mode.
I would be very disappointed if we splashed out on him where we are well set with back 3 players and have genuine shortages elsewhere.

North when fit and firing is in a different level to the likes of mcNicholl, this is a guy who has shredded international defences let alone pro 12 defences.

He is fast has good feet and picks excellent angles, he is not just a head down a@se up runner

You make valid points about his injury record though
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:06am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I don't see how we could possibly take a risk on a player who is a couple of head knocks away from retirement. He'll be available for Europe and a few derby games; this isn't the player we need for the hard slog during the 6-Nations and Autumn Internationals. 

George was great for us when he came onto the scene, he made an impact but then he seemed to become bigger than the Scarlets. He's not what we're looking for now and he's going to be used as a "figurehead" for a team looking to make a statement under the Union banner. 

I have no idea who this could be.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:57am
Jonathan Davies is playing better after moving back to the Scarlets, IMO. Maybe George North will get better if he moves to the Scarlets as well.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:31am
George played well for one season with us. Once he was called up, it was the last we saw of him, as we had come to know him. I will never forget those last few games he turned in for us as a Scarlet.

Taking a voluntary tackle with minimum impact from a scrum half, just falling to the floor and setting a ruck. He was a passenger for us for most of the time.

The crazy thing was Saints said from the outset they wanted a big battering ram on the wing, before they signed him. George was always developed to be far more than that. Now its only fair that the next batch of development get their chance. Lets hope the next batch have more sense to make a better Scarlets legacy for themselves than George did. I hope George finds a club he is happy at, and can find his old form. But i dont think he is the right fit for us. We are already trying to fit HP into our style, which if anyone has noticed is taking a little while.

Adding George would be to much of a step away from our current systems.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

North when fit and firing is in a different level to the likes of mcNicholl, this is a guy who has shredded international defences let alone pro 12 defences.

He is fast has good feet and picks excellent angles, he is not just a head down a@se up runner

I can’t remember the last time George took the game by the scruff of the neck and turned it either way. Lions series of 2013 perhaps?
The last thing of note I remember him doing is the try round the outside against Italy, set up by Sam Davies.
Personally I think McNicholl is a better player, and so is Steff.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 12:51pm
It's one of those where if we signed him it would put a smile on my face even if he isn't our top priority, but behind Leigh, Steff and Jonny there is no strength in depth and its pretty likely one of those 3 will be injured at any one point and I don't think any of the kids are ready.

At the same time if he went somewhere else it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

It's one of those where if we signed him it would put a smile on my face even if he isn't our top priority, but behind Leigh, Steff and Jonny there is no strength in depth and its pretty likely one of those 3 will be injured at any one point and I don't think any of the kids are ready.

At the same time if he went somewhere else it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I think there are about 3 who are about to burst into the 1st team squad within next 8 months.

Which of course is when we would be seeing George, if we are lucky....for 3 weeks....before the autumn internationals.....

Edited by Speedy - 13 December 2017 at 1:19pm
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:23pm
Ioan Nicholas is definitely ready, IMO. I believe he proved that on the tour to South Africa. We also have Tom Prydie who is a very good player (played well on the tour to South Africa, IMO).
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I think there are about 3 who are about to burst into the 1st team squad within next 8 months.

Which of course is when we would be seeing George, if we are lucky....for 3 weeks....before the autumn internationals.....

I really hope you are right. Budget would be better off spent elsewhere.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:55pm
After our first choice back 3 there's a fairly big drop off in terms of the quality and/or readiness of the players in those positions (in terms of playing in big league games and Europe) so there's probably a need for another quality back 3 player.
Whether that should be someone of North's availability or a NWQ player is the question really, in the nicest possible way I'm not concerned about the injuries, that what insurance is for, so it's a case of having 300k's worth of player for 140k but unavailable for about 8/10 league games or having 140k's worth of player for a whole season. 

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:56pm
It's win-win really - if he comes on a NDC, great - we get a top player (OK, on form and fit) at a knock-down price; if he doesn't, we'll spend any cash we have elsewhere - maybe on that elusive ball-carrying forward - and develop our upcoming wing talent.

No problem, either way.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 42>
  Share Topic